Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > All stops to Thurles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 10-03-2008, 19:52   #1
plant43

Default 1850 Heuston-Newbridge beware

The online timetable says the train stops in Sallins.

The printed timetable says the train doesn't stop in Sallins.

The printed timetable amendment says the train does stop in Sallins.

The drivers timetable says the train doesn't stop in Sallins.

Guess what happened tonight?
plant43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2008, 20:43   #2
Mark Hennessy
Membership Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by plant43 View Post
Guess what happened tonight?
Nothing surprises me.

Did they even announce it or apologise?
Mark Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-03-2008, 21:03   #3
plant43

No apology or announcment. The driver just said that the stop wasn't in the book. The ticket inspector had said to some passengers that it would be stopping in Sallins, but at Newbridge he tried to pass all the blame onto the driver.

In the end the passengers from Sallins were told to go to Platform 2 to get the (late) 1928 service to Heuston and I think this was arranged to stop at Sallins (it normally runs non-stop to Heuston).

Note that the onboard display on this service has never been changed to reflect the extra stop at Sallins.
Unread 10-03-2008, 21:11   #4
Mark Hennessy
Membership Officer

Its beyond a joke, a similar situation exists with the 07:58 from Maynooth to Bray.

Some days it stops at Phoenix Park, other days it doesn't.

How hard can it be to get your timetable correct, and once that is done, how hard is it to stick to it?
Unread 12-03-2008, 12:46   #5
CSL

What did the board in Heuston say [ or did you get a chance to see it ? ]
CSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-04-2008, 11:27   #6
hoopsheff
Regular Poster

If you have a printed copy of the timetable where it says that the train stops in Sallins & a ticket to Sallins then I would think that there is enough evidence to make a complaint to the Gardai stating that IR have held you against your will by not stopping at Sallins. This is a criminal offence and the gardai would be required to investigate it. To me it would be pretty open and shut if you can prove the train didnt stop at sallins !
hoopsheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-04-2008, 12:17   #7
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Staff timetable and the printed timetable says it does not stop

There is some class of informal (and very ill advised) arrangement where it does stop in Sallins which in turn delays the 19:00 to Cork
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18-04-2008, 10:40   #8
Fran
New to the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
Staff timetable and the printed timetable says it does not stop

There is some class of informal (and very ill advised) arrangement where it does stop in Sallins which in turn delays the 19:00 to Cork
This is not an "informal" arrangement, I understand it was a late change to the timetable which was agreed thanks to representation by Sallins users regarding the 90 minute gap in evening services. I have used this service a number of time. It was on the board, it is on the printed timetable which I downloaded and the train did stop.
Fran is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18-04-2008, 14:24   #9
plant43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran View Post
This is not an "informal" arrangement, I understand it was a late change to the timetable which was agreed thanks to representation by Sallins users regarding the 90 minute gap in evening services. I have used this service a number of time. It was on the board, it is on the printed timetable which I downloaded and the train did stop.
The printed pdf has been amended in the last few weeks (certainly since this incident occured). Up until then it wasn't listed on the printed pdf, but was listed using the journey planner.
Unread 18-04-2008, 14:37   #10
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Fact is its not in the formal published copy, the pdf copy everyone printed in December, in the staff timetable or indeed the trains own computer.

So imagine a driver leaving Clondalkin, the staff timetable says Newbridge, the computer says Newbridge (even to the point it can verbally tell the driver) wouldn't blame the driver for not stopping since the change did not go through normal channels for entry into the actual timetable.

Such ad hoc changes lead to widespread confusion leaving more passengers in the lurch than the small number who benefit. Back in 2005 the train left at 18:45 and arrived Newbridge at 19:16 (which it actually did), Newbridge passenger now arrive in sometime after 19:26 and we have had emails from commuters who have serious problems with that kind of change

Last edited by Thomas J Stamp : 19-04-2008 at 23:43. Reason: Oh dear...........
Unread 18-04-2008, 14:56   #11
Mark Hennessy
Membership Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran View Post
Hi Fran,

Welcome to the forum!

I think the key point to take from Mark's post above is that the stop was agreed in an ad hoc basis which leads to confusion for all passengers especially those who are expecting a stop in Sallins!

The real issue is the 90 minutes gap which Irish Rail had initially planned. This shows the contempt they hold for their regular customers, as it was announced without any consultation with the customers along the route.
Unread 18-04-2008, 15:20   #12
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Its always been that way, that said 18:50 Heuston Newbridge, 19:47 Newbridge to Sallins gets you there, arriving 20 minutes ahead of the 20:05 service.

Its fundamentally a lack of resources, the 19:25 to Limerick has yet to appear
Unread 18-04-2008, 15:27   #13
plant43

Quote:
Fact is its not in the formal published copy, the pdf copy everyone printed in December, in the staff timetable or indeed the trains own computer.

So imagine a driver leaving Clondalkin, the staff timetable says Newbridge, the computer says Newbridge (even to the point it can verbally tell the driver) wouldn't blame the driver for not stopping since the change did not go through normal channels for entry into the actual timetable.
I'm nearly sure the electronic displays for this service have been updated to include Sallins - I can't be 100% on it because it's been a couple of weeks since I got it.

I agree with everything else you say though.
Unread 19-04-2008, 23:44   #14
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Quote:
Its fundamentally a lack of resources, the 19:25 to Limerick has yet to appear
due to appear december, a mere two years late........
Unread 29-04-2008, 16:33   #15
Baz
New to the board

Yea I don't know, I know once I was on a commuter, it was meant to stop Dun L - Pearse, stopped at Sandymount for five minutes, doors opened and no one moved on or off... perhaps they could used computerisation of timetables
Baz is offline   Reply With Quote