Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > General Information & Discussion > Events, Happenings and Media
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 14-05-2013, 19:07   #1
Jamie2k9
Really Really Regluar Poster

Default Dublin-Belfast Rail Passengers "plummet"

http://www.herald.ie/news/fears-for-...-29266005.html

Quote:
Brendan White – 14 May 2013 02:00 PM

THE Dublin to Belfast rail service is facing "death by a thousand cuts" and needs a €520m investment, it has been claimed.
Plummeting passenger numbers have caused fears for the viability of the service.

A new report, by the Department for Regional Development in Northern Ireland, shows that 740,000 journeys are now made on the city-link a year – down 213,000 from 10 years ago.
And it warns the line will need an investment of €520m over the next 12 years.
The proposals include at least six high-speed electric trains and a track upgrade from Belfast to the border to permit speeds of 125mph.

Bridge
Stewart Dickson, of the Regional Development Committee, said: "The cross-border rail service is really falling behind in terms of competition from the new road.
"There is a strong argument for saying we should get European investment, but unless we can get that, it is not viable and we will just see the death of the Belfast to Dublin railway by a thousand cuts."
The report says that the 22pc decline in North-South train commuters is the result of a series of factors, including improved road services and the economic crash.
Another reason is the collapse of the Malahide bridge in 2009, when a replacement bus service was in place between Drogheda and Dublin.
Politicians in the North say it is "extremely worrying".
But the CEO of the Dublin City Business Association believes that the decline in passengers using the Dublin-Belfast rail line will have little effect on businesses in the capital.
"I see it as a positive rather than a negative," David Brennan said. "My concerns are for how it may affect retailers in Dublin but I see it making only a very small difference to them."
Irish Rail was unavailable for comment at the time of going to press
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-05-2013, 00:08   #2
Inniskeen
Really Regular Poster

Surprised the decline isn't more severe given the miserably slow journey times, lack of frequency, the Malahide viaduct debacle, the economic recession and the dramatically improved road infrastructure.

Similar or sharper declines have occurred on Irish Rail routes.
Inniskeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-05-2013, 01:25   #3
Jamie2k9

I agree,

Passenger numbers compared between 2007 and 2011 (2030 Rail Report)
Galway down 609,000
Cork down 576,000
Waterford down 280,000
Unread 15-05-2013, 08:30   #4
ACustomer
Really Regular Poster

Please compare like with like: the decline on the Belfast was 22% over 10 years; the decline on Galway, Cork and Waterford routes was over 4 years, and the numbers quoted are almost meaningless as we don't know the base from which the decline occurred, i.e. what is the percentage decline?
ACustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-05-2013, 10:32   #5
grainne whale
Really Regular Poster

This decline is hardly surprising in addition to the economic downturn, the motorway system has improved, added to car parking charges in addition to the rail fare. I've just priced a return fare (online) from Maynooth to Sligo, the total charge is €31.00, I will also pay €6 for carparking. This is a no brainer, as I can drive to and from Sligo for €30 (small car), it will be quicker than the train and my car will not be at risk in the carpark of Maynooth Station overnight.
grainne whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-05-2013, 10:42   #6
KSW
Really Regular Poster

I agree all the way. Dublin-Belfast needs a TGV high speed idea between the two cities. The entire country needs electric high speed trains with upgraded track. Dublin to Wexford M11/N11 motorways and dual carriageways are beating the trains by about one hour traveling time. Now with plans in last weeks Gorey Guardian the section of single N11 road at the Beehive to Jack whites will be upgraded to motorway road knocking 10min travel time again. I don't see how the train will keep up unless it gets investment...
I took the 11.35 Dublin Gorey train on Monday 6th May and it took 2hours just to Gorey that's ridiculous. It just appeared on the IR website that this 11.35 was actually operating and with no advertising of course it was waste of money to operate it that Monday passengers didn't know again this is ridiculous.
KSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-05-2013, 10:51   #7
comcor
Really Regular Poster

Location: Cork-Dublin, Cork Commuter and occasionally DART and Dublin-Wexford

TGV is probably a bit OTT as it would require completely new lines. 125mph/200kph for Cork-Dublin and Dublin-Belfast should be the focus as that is achievable by upgrade of existing lines. That would also benefit Dublin-Kerry/Limerick/Galway/Mayo/Waterford.

Once done, look at Portarlington to Athlone. Get those sections up to 125mph and coaches (and to a lesser extent car, which always benefits from immediate departure) are a much less attractive option.
comcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-05-2013, 11:14   #8
Jamie2k9

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSW View Post
I agree all the way. Dublin-Belfast needs a TGV high speed idea between the two cities. The entire country needs electric high speed trains with upgraded track. Dublin to Wexford M11/N11 motorways and dual carriageways are beating the trains by about one hour traveling time. Now with plans in last weeks Gorey Guardian the section of single N11 road at the Beehive to Jack whites will be upgraded to motorway road knocking 10min travel time again. I don't see how the train will keep up unless it gets investment...
I took the 11.35 Dublin Gorey train on Monday 6th May and it took 2hours just to Gorey that's ridiculous. It just appeared on the IR website that this 11.35 was actually operating and with no advertising of course it was waste of money to operate it that Monday passengers didn't know again this is ridiculous.
It was a Bank Hoilday schedule so it would of being in the special timetable?
Unread 15-05-2013, 11:06   #9
Inniskeen
Really Regular Poster

From 2008 to 2011, Dublin/Cork (excluding Dublin/Kildare) fell 19%, Dublin/Galway 36%, Dublin/Sligo (excluding (Dublin/Maynooth) 8.5%, Dublin/Waterford 15.5%, Dublin/Belfast (excluding Dublin/Drogheda) 24%.

Overall in 2011, excluding DART, routes to/from Heuston accounted for around 37.5% of total journeys on Irish Rail, to/from Connolly northbound 31%, to/from Connolly westbound 25.5%, to/from Connolly southbound 2.8%.

By far the most densely trafficked line is the Belfast line with significantly more revenue per mile than any other route.
Inniskeen is offline   Reply With Quote