Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > General Information & Discussion > Up To Date Travel Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 31-07-2010, 13:47   #1
ciaram
New to the board

Thumbs down [31-07-2010] 13:30 Connolly Rosslare Stuck in Bray

Just got a call from my sister (who is not having the best of luck with trains this year) to say the 13:30 ex Connolly has been stopped in Bray due to overcrowding. Apparently passengers were left behind in Dun Laoghaire and there is no space for anyone to board in Bray. Passengers are jammed in the aisles and all the vestibules. IE are looking into providing another train at the moment.

IMHO this was just waiting to happen, there are only 3 services each way at weekends to Rosslare (one leaving at 7:30am) and since the move to the new Intercity trains the overcrowding at any bank holiday weekend is chronic. What is definitely needed is either a 6 carriage train at such weekends or simply an additional service to relieve the afternoon train.
ciaram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31-07-2010, 14:13   #2
ThomasJ

Well i have always said it! Three services on a saturday is not enough nd sunday for that matter!

Either extend the 10.30 or noon services to weekends

Whatever the flaws of the 2800 nd 29k at least they wouldnt have this problem because of wider aisles, more space. I always said the 22ks were not suitable for conditionswith standing passengers
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31-07-2010, 14:37   #3
ciaram
New to the board

Latest update is they have made it as far as Wicklow (about 40 minutes late) but still overcrowded and IE are supplying buses to bring stranded passengers as far as Gorey.
ciaram is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31-07-2010, 19:10   #4
JamesK
New to the board

Today, the 1330 ex Connolly arrived in Wicklow at 1520 with plenty of standees. Southbound passengers boarding there were being advised that a train and bus were being provided; presumably, they could decide which they wished to use! The 1435 ex Arklow (for which I and a surprisingly large number of others were waiting) arrived on time but was held at Wicklow until the arrival of the down train.

I agree that it is scarcely surprising that the 1330 service suffers from over-crowding on a weekend such as this. The preceding service to points south of Arklow departs Connolly at 0732. What is needed is a train to Wexford that departs Connolly at c. 1000. Such a service, together with a return working, was listed in a draft timetable that appeared prior to the publication of the current schedule but alas ....
JamesK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 02:35   #5
ThomasJ

If this is going to be a problem over the summer, seasonal arrangements are needed for the rosslare line

IMHO 10.30 ex Connolly is the perfect answer!
Unread 01-08-2010, 11:33   #6
wobbles
Regular Poster

This happens on a daily basis. The 07.50 Rosslare-Dublin is overcrowded most mornings. Replacing six coach trains with three coach trains does not work without increasing services.
wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2010, 11:46   #7
ThomasJ

One of the biggest mistakes Irish rail made was how their new stock orders came in formations, the 29k should never have been four coach, the 22k should never have been three!

Both should have been two coaches meaning rosslare could be four coaches with seating numbers nearly equivalent to a six coach 2800.

Nevertheless the 10.30 ex Connolly is needed!
Unread 02-08-2010, 21:46   #8
ThomasJ

Maybe it should be looked at reintroducing the six coach 2800 sets to rosslare services at weekends and bank holidays following Saturdays debacle
Unread 03-08-2010, 19:25   #9
Alan French

This is the same old point about this line needing a more frequent service. In my contribution to the timetable consultation (30-6-10), I proposed a train at 10.05 from Connolly to Rosslare (which would be a boat train in summer).

Also from 1996 till 2003, an extra train ran from Connolly to Gorey about 12.55on selected days in August. Now, that wasn't there for mothing! Are they now trying to pretend that they can manage without extra trains at the busiest times?
Alan French is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2010, 21:05   #10
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

But there is now a 6 day a week train to Arklow all year round in the morning.

Curiously none of the trains to Rosslare were booked out over the last weekend. To ensure a seat - book

If Irish Rail actually enforced the bye laws and banned alcohol on the Rosslare line at busy weekends, things would be a lot more pleasant onboard and would thin out numbers.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2010, 06:20   #11
wobbles
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
But there is now a 6 day a week train to Arklow all year round in the morning.

Curiously none of the trains to Rosslare were booked out over the last weekend. To ensure a seat - book

If Irish Rail actually enforced the bye laws and banned alcohol on the Rosslare line at busy weekends, things would be a lot more pleasant onboard and would thin out numbers.
The Arklow service needs to start running to Gorey again. This train used to take a lot of pressure off the 13.30 to Rosslare. Passenger numbers are down on the Arklow service as a result.

Not many people are booking on line yet for Rosslare services. Another problem is the reserved seat signs do not work on the Rosslare line so there is no way of knowing which seats are actually reserved.

I agree Mark alcohol should be banned but who would enforce it? Most of the trains don't have a conductor.
wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2010, 09:59   #12
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

The turnaround in Gorey would be too tight to allow for the 30 minute break so would need a second driver somewhere, cost wise thats not really a runner currently

Of all the routes I travel, the Rosslare line is the one with the biggest anti-social problem. That needs to be addressed urgently. I've seen passengers blind drunk at 11am on a Sunday, passengers clearly under the influence of other substances. This is all accompanied by a pile of kids running amok as there parents either don't care or have gone to a different plane of consciousness.

Booking wise the signs don't work, but equally if you do stand a full refund is in order for you.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote