Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Rosslare
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-08-2013, 09:09   #1
sublimity
Really Regular Poster

Default 4 coach 22k's

Is it true that Rosslare services will become 4 coaches in the near future?
sublimity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 11:34   #2
Jamie2k9
Really Really Regluar Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublimity View Post
Is it true that Rosslare services will become 4 coaches in the near future?
Can't see all services being 4 car trains but possibly a one set allocated to the route. Unless all the current evening services are heavily loaded after Bray/Graystones I can't see it happening.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2013, 12:38   #3
sublimity
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie2k9 View Post
Can't see all services being 4 car trains but possibly a one set allocated to the route. Unless all the current evening services are heavily loaded after Bray/Graystones I can't see it happening.
Yeah, there's certainly a case for the 17:36 ex Connolly and the 05:35 and 07:20 ex Rosslare to be a 4 car 22k.
Unread 11-11-2013, 15:37   #4
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Probably first sight of a 4 car on the Rosslare line

09:40 out/12:55 back today

As the fleet conversion is still ongoing we won't know for some time what the final plan will be

Would expect 17:36 + 18:36 to be 4 as well as the 13:36 as Fri/Sat
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2013, 19:22   #5
karlr42

4 car on the 1925 Docklands M3 service, which implies it will be running the evening shuttle too. Probably overkill.
karlr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-03-2014, 12:11   #6
ACustomer
Really Regular Poster

The 1345 Connolly-Rosslare on Sundays is supposed to be an ICR (and the return 1740 ex Rosslare). However on at least two Sundays during the past 4 or 5 weeks it has been a 29k.

Is there any valid reason for this? Now that there are 4-car ICR sets, the old excuse of the 29k having greater capacity is a bit thin.

My opinion is that they put whatever is most convenient for the operator on the roster: the travelling public are given very little consideration.
ACustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-03-2014, 13:03   #7
James Howard

I would have the same opinion but my opinion doesn't matter as I am only a customer. My impression would generally be that Irish Rail would much rather if they didn't have to bother with passengers at all.

Pure conjecture this but the reason would probably be something like that they finish up maintenance on a set in Drogheda on Friday evening and they have an extra set up there over the weekend so as to be able to get cracking on another first thing Monday morning. Also, given that reduction in use in Mk4s, there are might be extra 22Ks assigned to Cork runs on weekends when real first class isn't such a big deal.
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-03-2014, 15:59   #8
Jamie2k9

Quote:
Is there any valid reason for this? Now that there are 4-car ICR sets, the old excuse of the 29k having greater capacity is a bit thin.
They have being doing lots of changing around over the past few weeks. Remember there is 10 less 4 peice sets than planned at the very start, so the excuse is still valid as they have greater capacity than a 3. It's proably a case of 4 peice sets in place for Monday mornings.

Quote:
Pure conjecture this but the reason would probably be something like that they finish up maintenance on a set in Drogheda on Friday evening and they have an extra set up there over the weekend so as to be able to get cracking on another first thing Monday morning. Also, given that reduction in use in Mk4s, there are might be extra 22Ks assigned to Cork runs on weekends when real first class isn't such a big deal.
Mark4's are at there bussiest during the weekends so the level of 22's required isn't like mid week so not sure thats the issue.
Unread 24-03-2014, 16:57   #9
ACustomer
Really Regular Poster

Actually the "shortage" of 4-car ICRs should not be a serious factor in explaining the use of a 29k. The 29k seats 185, a 3-car ICR 190 and a 4-car ICR 262. So why not a 3-car ICR then?

Don't tell me they need the big capacity for standees which the 29k has!
ACustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-03-2014, 07:59   #10
James Howard

Actually the standing capacity would be a factor in the crazy world of Irish Rail customer services. According to Irish Rail, paying 40 euro for a return ticket does not "entitle" you to a seat.

Why anybody uses the Rosslare train service is beyond me. It is almost as if Irish Rail are deliberately trying to drive customers away. How hard can it be? A 29k is not a suitable train to use for a run of more than an hour.

The Sligo service used to be like the Rosslare service - 3 or 4 trains a day rattling around half empty except for one or two busy services. But in a outrageous attack of good sense, Irish Rail invested in platform lengthening and increasing the frequency and the result is a service that is very much more used and that provides a useful social service even if it does lose money. It is a pity that they are no longer in a position to do the same for Rosslare.
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-03-2014, 13:20   #11
Jamie2k9

south of Wexford there is two train stations close to each other serving tiny villages. A large amount of traffic on the route would be summer traffic provided we get a summer that is. The sail/rail excuse if long gone as low demand.

There is 5 trains to Wexford and 4 to Rosslare Monday-Friday and 5 trains from Gorey and 4 from Rosslare/Wexford towards Dublin. Service levels are not wonderful however are not that bad either.
Unread 25-03-2014, 17:14   #12
Traincustomer

Quote:
The sail/rail excuse if long gone as low demand.
There are reasons for the demand being lower than it ought to be such as issues with connections between rail and ferry over the years (people have given up/used other means), local inavailability of through tickets and paucity of promotion/information.

At least one of the ferry companies hadn't even been informed of the deferred evening train last summer.

In fairness to IE an evening train was introduced in 2011 connecting with the night sailings along with generic marketing posters at stations.
Traincustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-03-2014, 18:45   #13
sublimity
Really Regular Poster

There really should be no more 29ks on the Wexford line.

We have 3 and 4 car 22ks. No more excuses Irish Rail.
Treat the passengers on this line with a bit of respect for once.
Unread 25-03-2014, 23:00   #14
KSW
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublimity View Post
There really should be no more 29ks on the Wexford line.

We have 3 and 4 car 22ks. No more excuses Irish Rail.
Treat the passengers on this line with a bit of respect for once.
I couldn't agree with you more. This line is the only line on the Irish Rail network that is disgraceful. This line could have its full potential yet Irish Rail has never seen it. Every time I see the service ex Dublin coming into Gorey around 15.30 it's always a 29k commuter train. I'm confident Irish rail have enough 22k intercity railcars for the line. I'd like to see more services on this line with reduced fares. No offends I refuse to pay Irish Rail €29.70 I think it was for a Gorey Connolly monthly return when I'm retricted to the services Irish Rail offer VS. Wexford Bus
KSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-03-2014, 23:30   #15
Jamie2k9

Quote:
reduced fares
9.99 fares are available, going much lower and how can costs be covered?

Quote:
There are reasons for the demand being lower than it ought to be such as issues with connections between rail and ferry over the years (people have given up/used other means), local inavailability of through tickets and paucity of promotion/information.

At least one of the ferry companies hadn't even been informed of the deferred evening train last summer.

In fairness to IE an evening train was introduced in 2011 connecting with the night sailings along with generic marketing posters at stations.
Taking a guess Irish Ferries? If so why would they be informed when they no longer offer sea/rail from Pembroke Dock?
Unread 29-03-2014, 15:58   #16
Traincustomer

Not being short but don't really want to be naming companies in this context.

Is the reconfiguration of the 22000 Class ICRs complete yet?
Unread 29-03-2014, 17:32   #17
Jamie2k9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traincustomer View Post

Is the reconfiguration of the 22000 Class ICRs complete yet?
Completed a few weeks ago.
Unread 29-03-2014, 21:06   #18
Traincustomer

Thanks, I wasn't too sure as hadn't been following it in detail.
Unread 29-03-2014, 22:11   #19
berneyarms
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traincustomer View Post
What difference does it make?

It would hardly be one of the secrets of Fatima.

What a bizarre post to make.

Last edited by berneyarms : 29-03-2014 at 22:14.
berneyarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-03-2014, 23:53   #20
Traincustomer

The 22000 Class ICR info seems to have been updated.

Aside:

Quote:
Originally Posted by berneyarms View Post
What difference does it make?

It would hardly be one of the secrets of Fatima.

What a bizarre post to make.
That would be an ecumenical matter!
In fairness it's not bizarre in my view as other posters have made references to various matters in posts here over the years without giving full details.

Last edited by Traincustomer : 29-03-2014 at 23:53. Reason: typo