Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > General Irish Rail Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 16-01-2012, 09:20   #1
DangerM
Regular Poster

Default Park By Text

Can someone please confirm something for me?

When the Park By Text system was introduced were we told that we would not have to pay the monthly maintenance fee by Irish Rail?
DangerM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-01-2012, 10:12   #2
James Howard
Really Really Regluar Poster

According to the press release in December, it isn't terribly clear if the 50 cent charge applies to ParkByText accounts or if it is just for the automatic top-up option

Quote:
Customers can also open a ParkByText account, with added benefits including:

- Shorter and simpler payment process (An account holder is only required to send a short text message to complete payment whereas an unregistered user needs to send a similar text message followed by providing their credit card details to a voicemail phone number)

- Account holders have the option to receive text messages and/or emails with updates on special parking offers and system enhancements

- Account holders can select a free option of automatic top up to their account balance ensuring that they always have funds set aside for their parking charges

A 50 cent monthly account maintenance charge applies to customers choosing this option.
I use the automatic top-up option and I have been charged 50 cent. I have avoided all other charges by paying on-line. However, the website was down one morning so I paid by text but I wasn't charged the "convenience fee". So go figure that one.

http://www.irishrail.ie/news_centre/...w&news_id=1256
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-01-2012, 13:57   #3
Inniskeen
Really Regular Poster

The convenience charge does not, as I understand it, apply to Irish Rail car parks. I almost always pay by text and apart from the first time I used the system have only paid the €2 parking charge. The first time I ommitted to remove the tick from the reminder text request box. This requests a text be sent to warn that the parking period has/is about to expire. Each of these texts cost 20c. I expect to incur the 50c account maintenance charge.

Last edited by Inniskeen : 16-01-2012 at 13:59.
Inniskeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-01-2012, 15:04   #4
DangerM
Regular Poster

I made the same mistake with the reminder texts.

They went ahead and debited €0.50 from my account yesterday. Oh well, still beats the alternative of €3.00 per day just thought I remembered Irish Rail saying something about the fee being waivered but that must have been the convenience charge.
Unread 16-01-2012, 16:36   #5
hoopsheff
Regular Poster

shouldnt be paying parking fees at all
its ridiculous

their daily rate increase by 50%

but nothing was said....when Barry Kenny was on Newstalk recently I queried why they are increasing prices..he did his usual shuffle around the q and stated that the parking by text hadnt increased.

now i dont know about u...i wouldnt trust the clampers to have an uptodate list of cars who pay by text.
hoopsheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-01-2012, 18:16   #6
James Howard
Really Really Regluar Poster

I would think they would have to be very sure about having an up-to-date list because even clamping somebody in the right on private property is on questionable legal grounds. If they clamped you and you could provide documentary proof (parkbytext account statement) that you had paid, they would be opening themselves up for a claim.

The parkbytext service is actually pretty good. I was fairly sceptical about it and reluctant to use it, but so long as you watch out for the various little charges it is not expensive to use and is no greater inconvenience than having to keep change for the meter.

The main drawback is that at Edgeworthstown we occasionally get a few free days when the single parking machine goes out of order. If you use paybytext, you no longer have the excuse of not being able to pay. I suppose you could claim you forgot your phone.
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-01-2012, 09:25   #7
DangerM
Regular Poster

I forgot to pay one day and nothing happened, wouldn't chance it again though.

It is more convenient (no more trying to find change at 7am,) I just hate hidden charges. It does make it a lot more apparent exactly how much you spend on parking on top of your ticket.
Unread 17-01-2012, 10:15   #8
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

It's going to make it take a lot longer to inspect car parks for who hasn't paid.
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-01-2012, 11:34   #9
ThomasJ

The work around clonsilla station has been completed and there is a large number of carpark spaces in place on both sides of the road with the largest number just past the city bound bus stop.

Pay parking has now been introduced and is being run by fungal county council at €2 per day.

One problem i can see happening though is that there is a parking by text ad at clonsilla station despite the fact that Irish rail dont run the car park! I can see people making the mistake.
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote