Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > General Irish Rail Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 16-07-2011, 00:41   #1
Jamie2k9
Really Really Regluar Poster

Default New Irish Rail Website

New Irish Rail website expected in September. Currently being developed.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14-08-2011, 22:20   #2
paddyb180285
Regular Poster

I wonder what date in September the new website will be launched. Also, something will need to be done with the timetable listing convention where Commuter trains are listed as "Railcar" or where Enterprise is listed as "Intercity". Furthermore, I have always thought that the logo for the type of service making a halt at certain stations would look better than the plain text that is currently there. This would certainly make the timetable lists clearer. I can't think of anything else.
paddyb180285 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-08-2011, 07:13   #3
James Howard

Possibly just listing the timetables in HTML would also be helpful. Trying to find the time of a train using a phone is a mess with the current site as you need to select stations with a combo box. In general the site needs a lot of work to make it work properly with a phone.

On the subject of "Railcar"/"InterCity", it would be good if it was at least accurate. For example, the 0905 Connolly to Sligo is indicated as "InterCity", but has been operated by 29k every morning I've been in Connolly for the last year.
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-08-2011, 09:14   #4
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

The new website was flagged here as far back as March. I've seen the draft and its pretty good

Personalised pdf timetables are supported by the underlying journey planner system (demo of this in members area)
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18-09-2011, 21:55   #5
fiskar
New to the board

New to this fora but would like to add a few gripes I have with website information especially Irishrail.ie

I am trying to weigh up possible travel from M3Parkway to Docklands. So armed with my trusty laptop I went on virtual tour which ended up being a merry go round.

I wanted to know more about the ticketing process, specifically what "rolling 7 day" meant, I have an idea but wanted specifics. Could not find it on Irishrail.ie.

I wanted to find out more about the M3 Parkway and docklands station. Pure waste of time. There is not even a photo or decent map. For instance, looking at the map and even the linked maps here one cannot see the entry or exit points for Docklands. What street do you come out on!

I wanted to find out how far in metres was the nearest Luas from the Docklands station, not even remotley possible.

I wanted to find out what the distance in metres or walking time from Docklands to Stephens green, reason, to find out if getting a combined rail-luas ticket was better than the walk and how long the walk is. Again not possible.

I wanted to find out about parking, security etc at these stations. Not a chance.

A suggestion for Irishrail and the new website, model it please on the tfl.co.uk website. it gives you everything, maintenance, walking time and routes.

What I would like to see from the new Irish rail website is
fiskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18-09-2011, 22:16   #6
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

The current website is a disgrace, the new website can handle nearly all of that from the demos I've seen.

It will have much greater level of information on stations, including google streetview integration. There is also completely new journey planner which also has the ability to handle addresses and includes mapping

Fare information for all Dublin commuter journeys is also in the system as is a completely revised display of fares

The station page will automatically include all relevant engineering works, delays and changes which effect services there

There is talk of a innovative multimodal journey planner as well, commercial sensitivities preclude any discussion of that right now but it has Dublin Bus and Luas routes on it as well.

In the meanwhile http://www.railusers.ie/passenger_info/fares_matrix.php
Unread 19-09-2011, 08:40   #7
Destructix
Really Regular Poster

http://www.iarnrodeireann.ie/about_u...p?faq_id=46#46

Was the best site layout they had. Plus I don't really like the way it's being re-branded in English as Irish Rail. I think they should not phase out the As Gaeilge name of the company.
Destructix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-09-2011, 14:38   #8
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Many people can't spell Iarnród Éireann, so having the name Irish Rail is important, especially for the website.
Unread 19-09-2011, 15:20   #9
Destructix
Really Regular Poster

I get that most people cant spell it especially the Eastern Europeans. But it is a waste of money if they have to re-brand every sign every station every locomotive carriage etc. Maybe two separate websites would work. They could have all the usual info etc on IarnródÉireann.ie and buy a domain name like Train.ie or traintickets.ie to sell tickets. alot of money is being wasted re branding some parts as Irish rail and others as Iarnród Éireann and of course the customer and tax payer(subsidies) end up footing the bill for it. It must really confuse tourists it having two different logos/names.

I actually got a shocking response from them today. Shocking as in the actually agreed with a customer.

ME====Templemore station needs a ticket machine. The station isn't very well staffed at times and most people have to collect tickets in Thurles. I really think Templemore being on the Dublin-Cork line needs a ticket machine.

Iarnród Éireann===You will be pleased to read that plans for a Ticket Vending Machine(TVM) at Templemore are at an advanced stage and a new machine will be installed in the coming weeks.
The hours of the Ticket Office in Templemore are 06.00 - 21.15 Monday to Saturday,
09.00 - 23.00 Sunday

Shame the staff going missing most times during these hours. I often had people come up to me on that platform panicking that the office was unattended. And with the IRC 22000 classes mostly serving Templemore you don't see staff selling tickets on the train.

Last edited by Destructix : 19-09-2011 at 15:26.
Destructix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-09-2011, 20:35   #10
fiskar
New to the board

Thanks Mark for the update, offers hope and possibilities. For me the bad weather is a huge factor so will looking out for it from October.

On the website name, Iarnród Éireann is too long, perhaps though it won't be as long if it gets sold off and becomes a new entity!

Better still, keep it short and sweet like irishrail.ie or tfd.ie , short for transport for dublin ! You know where I got that from.
fiskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2011, 16:31   #11
paddyb180285
Regular Poster

I'm not too sure if it is related to this. However, Irish Rail have advertised on their site that there is "Scheduled Downtime!". It then goes on to say that "This website will be undergoing necessary maintenance work on Tuesday 4th October 21:00hrs - 22:30hrs". I wonder if this is to do with the new website?
Unread 05-10-2011, 01:46   #12
dowlingm

Don't tell me they're going to run it on iOS 5
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2011, 09:27   #13
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

When its going live we will let you know
Unread 05-10-2011, 14:26   #14
paddyb180285
Regular Poster

Thanks, Mark!
Unread 06-10-2011, 17:54   #15
Mickey H
Really Regular Poster

As of now the entire IE website is not working. And they still refuse or are too lazy to provide a DART pdf timetable. E-Mails to IE asking why have been ignored
Unread 06-10-2011, 18:54   #16
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey H View Post
As of now the entire IE website is not working.
Its up again now.