Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 13-12-2008, 01:49   #21
ThomasJ

sure mark isn't docklands going to be operating a full pace service from 2010 in anyway?
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-12-2008, 09:35   #22
Mark Hennessy
Membership Officer

I saw the poster that kicked off this thread on the train this morning.

It says "Get to the O2 using public transport".

Implicit in that is that you won't be going from the O2 by public transport.

Anyway, the issue of concerts and finishing times certainly happens in other jurisdictions, I don't think anyone here is seriously proposing they end at 10 pm, if anything above Mark's analysis of how early a gig must end if customers are to avail of public transport shows how prohibitive the current schedules are for people wishing to get home late at night.

EDIT: One other thing, is on street car parking free in Dublin after 7pm?

Last edited by Mark Hennessy : 13-12-2008 at 09:38.
Mark Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-12-2008, 17:48   #23
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hennessy View Post
On most, but by no means all, streets. A minority have restrictions from 7am until midnight. And I've seen the clampers roaming an area with several of those streets last at night on many an occasion.
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-12-2008, 17:41   #24
ThomasJ

I don't know if you saw the map in this mornings Metro but there is a more detailed pdf format map here http://www.theo2.ie/assets/pdf/Trans...e_Download.pdf outlining all the bus routes etc

Its one of the better maps i have seen in a long time good job done.

For those coming from west dublin/maynooth/meath Docklands station will be very handy! Nice to see shuttle buses coming into play also!

Last edited by ThomasJ : 15-12-2008 at 17:52.
Unread 15-12-2008, 17:58   #25
chris
Regular Poster

The road map coming into Dublin seems a bit out though! No M1 marked, not even as far as the airport
chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-12-2008, 18:02   #26
ThomasJ

also no mention of docklands station on the dart & luas section and reference to www.dart.ie? (slightly out of date) main map looks good though.
Unread 15-12-2008, 18:12   #27
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

I was about to post that link.

I'm going to take a look at the planning application - it seems it has a mobility plan. The application was to the Dublin Docklands Development Authority, not the city council.
Unread 15-12-2008, 19:52   #28
Mark Hennessy
Membership Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasJ View Post
Nice to see shuttle buses coming into play also!
On AA roadwatch on Drivetime this evening they mentioned the shuttle.
They only stated it as going from Green Line Luas, good to see it will serve other locations too.
Mark Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-12-2008, 13:25   #29
James Shields

It would seem a very easy plan to park a couple of 29Ks in Docklands, where they're out of the way of scheduled services, and have one depart 20 mins after the concert ends, and the second depart 20 mins after that, running all stops to Maynooth.

This would leave the bay platforms in Connolly for a couple of similar services to Drogheda.

As has been mentioned elsewhere, it's a matter of IE putting their commercial hat on. Why have combined concert and rail tickets never happened in this country?
James Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-12-2008, 13:49   #30
MOH
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
I don't know if you saw the map in this mornings Metro but there is a more detailed pdf format map here http://www.theo2.ie/assets/pdf/Trans...e_Download.pdf outlining all the bus routes etc

Its one of the better maps i have seen in a long time good job done.

For those coming from west dublin/maynooth/meath Docklands station will be very handy! Nice to see shuttle buses coming into play also!
Am I misreading this or are they claiming that Heuston is a 28 minute walk form the Point? Or from the edge of the map, which is a bit pointless. not sure I'd fancy walking to Clontarf Road either, and I think 14 minutes is a bit optimistic.
MOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-12-2008, 20:13   #31
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Closest stations to the 02:

DART: Grand Canal Dock (1.32km) Connolly (1.42km), Tara Street (1.52km), Pearse (1.57km), Lansdowne Road (2.07km)

Green Line: St. Stephens Green (2.8km), Charlemont (3.2km, but expect a lot of trams to be filled by people getting on at St. Stephens Green).

Red Line: Busáras (but expect a lot of trams to be filled by people getting on at Connolly).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOH View Post
Am I misreading this or are they claiming that Heuston is a 28 minute walk form the Point? Or from the edge of the map, which is a bit pointless. not sure I'd fancy walking to Clontarf Road either, and I think 14 minutes is a bit optimistic.
This http://www.dto.ie/web2006/jp.htm gives 48 minutes to Heuston (4.082 km), but is overly-generous.

25 minutes (again generous), 2.117 km to Clontarf Road.

Last edited by Colm Moore : 16-12-2008 at 20:28.
Colm Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-12-2008, 20:26   #32
ThomasJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor View Post

DART: Connolly (1.42km), Pearse (1.57km), Lansdowne Road (2.07km)

Green Line: Charlemont (but expect a lot of trams to be filled by people getting on at St. Stephens Green).

Red Line: Busaras (but expect a lot of trams to be filled by people getting on at Connolly).

This http://www.dto.ie/web2006/jp.htm gives 48 minutes to Heuston (4.082 km), but is overly-generous.

What about Grand Canal Dock?
Unread 16-12-2008, 20:29   #33
ThomasJ

Quote:

DART: Grand Canal Dock (1.32km) Connolly (1.42km), Tara Street (1.52km), Pearse (1.57km), Lansdowne Road (2.07km)

Green Line: St. Stephens Green (2.8km), Charlemont (3.2km, but expect a lot of trams to be filled by people getting on at St. Stephens Green).

Red Line: Busáras (but expect a lot of trams to be filled by people getting on at Connolly).

Thats exactly what I was thinking, GCD was nearest.
Unread 16-12-2008, 20:30   #34
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
What about Grand Canal Dock?
Fixed already. There seems to be some glitches with the journey planner, e.g. it claims Charlemont (via South Lotts Road and the Grand Canal) is the closest Green Line stop - it might be the least hassle route, but is about 400m longer than via the city centre to St. Stephens Green.

Last edited by Colm Moore : 16-12-2008 at 20:32.
Colm Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-12-2008, 20:50   #35
robdrysdale

All I can say, speaking from experience tonight is that the O2/The Point is back with a vengeance.

Brought Dublin traffic to a complete standstill. Worst I've ever seen on the Coast Road in Sandymount. A normal 40-60 min Blackrock to Clontarf Drive took 2 hrs after giving up on East Link after taking 1 hr to get just over 1/2 way along the Sandymount Coast Road. A complete farce.

Words just fail me. Why the hell where they given planning permission for this place, given the chaos that it used to cause before the renovations, when it was a much smaller venue.

There's no hope for planning in this city. The venue should not have been allowed to open until Luas extension and Shuttle Buses were in place and free for all concert goes (paid for in Concert ticket at least).

Thankfully I'll be back on the Dart next week.
robdrysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-12-2008, 21:18   #36
ThomasJ

Quote:

Docklands station is
Quote:
Distance: 0.426 km
according to the dto 5 minutes
Unread 16-12-2008, 21:29   #37
ThomasJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
Given Connolly is staffed 24 hours and there are empty trains there already, and getting trains and staffing Docklands is awkward to serve only one route its unlikely it will open
But its the same story with Drumcondra with only 1 route calling at the station and that does well!
Unread 16-12-2008, 22:47   #38
Derek Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hennessy View Post
I saw the poster that kicked off this thread on the train this morning.

It says "Get to the O2 using public transport".

Implicit in that is that you won't be going from the O2 by public transport.

Anyway, the issue of concerts and finishing times certainly happens in other jurisdictions, I don't think anyone here is seriously proposing they end at 10 pm, if anything above Mark's analysis of how early a gig must end if customers are to avail of public transport shows how prohibitive the current schedules are for people wishing to get home late at night.

Hammer, Nail, Head. - "How prohibitive the current schedules are."

Once again the issue of profit and public service obligations starts to rise from its grave. Its an issue thats endemic throughout the state and semi state bodies. An Post, CIE etc etc. Subsidy, profit, service. Those words don't blend.
Derek Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-12-2008, 22:54   #39
Derek Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdrysdale View Post
All I can say, speaking from experience tonight is that the O2/The Point is back with a vengeance.

Brought Dublin traffic to a complete standstill. Worst I've ever seen on the Coast Road in Sandymount. A normal 40-60 min Blackrock to Clontarf Drive took 2 hrs after giving up on East Link after taking 1 hr to get just over 1/2 way along the Sandymount Coast Road. A complete farce.

Words just fail me. Why the hell where they given planning permission for this place, given the chaos that it used to cause before the renovations, when it was a much smaller venue.

There's no hope for planning in this city. The venue should not have been allowed to open until Luas extension and Shuttle Buses were in place and free for all concert goes (paid for in Concert ticket at least).

Thankfully I'll be back on the Dart next week.
Im with you there Rob. Got caught in it tonight aswell. Im not lucking forward to its forthcoming schedule in 09. North Quays were heading to Galway. The promoters are not at fault. They just book the place. The owner, planners and transport companies are all to blame for this disaster.
Derek Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-12-2008, 23:27   #40
ThomasJ

Full house 4 carriage on the last train to maynooth tonight

Crowds seem to be arriving at connolly after 11