Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > General Irish Rail Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 29-06-2010, 10:15   #1
ColmmacO
Regular Poster

Default People not cleared from out of service train, train goes to sidings

Maynooth train pulls into pearse a few minutes late. Passenger info displays show next train as greystones. Two passengers (most likely tourists) get on last carriage. No staff member walks the length of train to clear carriages. I think the guy on the platform walked about 3 carriages before he gave the all clear to the driver. Doors close. People on platform try to make eye contact with the two on train to no avail. Ticket inspector seems to notice. Train pulls off towards sidings. As train is half way down platform staff member notices but its too late.
I wouldnt be suprised if the two on the train got a good dressing down from the driver despite it not being their fault.
Perhaps, I should have been a bit more self confident and waved a bit more frantically to get their attention, but I think this is fairly bad form from the staff on duty.
ColmmacO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-06-2010, 11:46   #2
ThomasJ

ive witnessed this at least twice! both occasions in pearse!

the thing is as soon as a train arrives in the station it disappears off the pis screen making people think thats the next train, it should say train out of service on the board.

Last edited by ThomasJ : 29-06-2010 at 11:48.
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-06-2010, 16:44   #3
karlr42

See this happen all the time, but usually platform staff catch it in time. The problem is that tight schedules and staff availability mean there isn't always enough time to check the train. Luckily it's not usually serious as within 5 minutes the driver switching ends will see them. Also happens with DARTs terminating in Connolly as there never seem to be staff to check- the driver closes the doors after a while and as he switches ends lets people out the cab door.

Totally agree on the PIS issue. It is very confusing though I see the technical problem- the train loses its ID as it enters Pearse. I guess it could be re-worked so that the ID is relinquished when the train passes the signal at the southern end instead.

Overall, shows the problem with terminating trains in a through platform.

Last edited by karlr42 : 29-06-2010 at 16:46.
karlr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-06-2010, 18:07   #4
Rashers
Really Regular Poster

Should the driver not make 1 final announcement before he actually closes the doors?
Unread 29-06-2010, 18:47   #5
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Curiously in Bray no staff to check trains, and there isn't a problem

There is a public address announcement on the train, either manual or automatic or both normally

There is an issue with the CIS system and it is solvable and we'll pass a suggestion towards the IT guys who look after that system to sort it out. The empty train does have an ID on the system
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-06-2010, 20:57   #6
markpb

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlr42 View Post
See this happen all the time, but usually platform staff catch it in time. The problem is that tight schedules and staff availability mean there isn't always enough time to check the train.
Someone needs to make time - it's not acceptable to let passengers board an out of service train. When I lived in the LA, the drivers walked the entire length of the train closing and locking the doors from the inside before taking it out of the station. Of course, they also used the time to move homeless people off the train and into the station which isn't really a problem we have in Dublin.
markpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-06-2010, 22:08   #7
karlr42

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpb View Post
Of course, they also used the time to move homeless people off the train and into the station which isn't really a problem we have in Dublin.
Yet, anyway.
And I agree, it's not really acceptable for this to happen, as especially at Connolly trains could be heading to Drogheda or left with the doors locked on the platform for hours. Ideally there would be terminal platforms to use rather than through platforms, solving a lot of the problems.
karlr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30-06-2010, 11:53   #8
ThomasJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
Curiously in Bray no staff to check trains, and there isn't a problem

There is a public address announcement on the train, either manual or automatic or both normally

There is an issue with the CIS system and it is solvable and we'll pass a suggestion towards the IT guys who look after that system to sort it out. The empty train does have an ID on the system
but surely there is a massive difference between terminating/south of bray and terminating/south of pearse trains. The numbers travelling south of bray would not be remotely close to numbers travelling south of pearse.

In both incidents that I saw at pearse, they did look like tourists. There were audio announcements both automatic, by the driver and at the station but these people managed to run up the stairs and on before the doors closed so more than likely they werent aware.

Also bear in mind, these people could be listening to radios/mp3 players. Ive been at connolly and despite no trains departing from platforms 6 & 7 late at night people were on the platforms. Despite three loud announcements that those platforms were closed noone budged from those platforms. staff had to go over and move them from the platforms.

Its astonishing the amount of people who have asked are commuting trains terminating at connolly/pearse are going to howth/bray/greystones

Last edited by ThomasJ : 30-06-2010 at 12:05.
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote