Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > Gorey-Arklow-Wicklow Line
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 21-08-2009, 10:25   #1
PLUMB LOCO
Regular Poster

Default Commuter train vandalised in Gorey

Hot from IRN

Set 22009 was attacked in Gorey overnight we understand, with serious damage being caused to one of the driving coaches.

The 0600 Gorey-Connolly operated, 30 minutes late, with the third coach locked off.

Why am I not surprised? Leaving a train unsupervised overnight in a place like Gorey is asking for trouble. Some day a whole railcar set will be burnt out and then what?
PLUMB LOCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21-08-2009, 10:55   #2
poolergirl
New to the board

A car that had been left overnight in the car park, was also broken into, its window smashed.
poolergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21-08-2009, 11:22   #3
KSW
Really Regular Poster

I hope the CCTV cameras will catch the a**holes that done the car-park. I seen CCTV cameras at almost every lamp-post but I somehow think the CCTV cameras have been turned off at night.

As for the new 22k train, I think that the people responsible have seriously something wrong with their heads. Its a new train costing IE millions.

I knew myself with the overnight works on the DART line that A**holes wouldn't take long to put 2 and 2 together. Their is no CCTV cameras where the new train parks overnight, Its crazy to put a new train left parked overnight knowing that there is no CCTV watching the train. I think its 100% disgraceful and it gives Gorey a bad name.
KSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21-08-2009, 13:12   #4
ThomasJ

Interesting allright!

a few questions are raised by this episode. First all is the car park. The car that had its windows smashed i am wondering if it had valid ticket.

So what constitutes as a valid ticket ? Is a daily pass a 24 hour pass ? And is the person who parked the car through the night in the right ? In the press release for the extra maynooth line services it mentioned that coolmine and leixlip car parks were run 24 hours a day 7 days a week surely so. The person who parked the car has a right to feel angry if they have a valid day or week ticket but with ie they are covered with the `park at your own risk' clause,

With regards to the train been vandalised its not suprising that this happened but it could have happened anywhere where there was no security / no secure area. thankfully with the intercity railcar terminating in gorey only a temporary arrangement this hopefully wont happen again. However if they cant get the security then they should park the train in bray ! Advantages are You have secure parking spot , you can run the 1920 to bray providing a dart connection and it would save the taxi fares !

Hopefully ie will learn from this episode !

Last edited by ThomasJ : 21-08-2009 at 13:16.
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21-08-2009, 13:39   #5
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

It doesn't matter where the train is parked it will get vandalised

Its not the first 22k to get hit by the vandals. 29k sets have been hit over and over again, some getting the paint job in daytime with the driver actually onboard. A DART was set on fire while in service with passengers aboard and a number of DART coaches got windows smashed while parked within the supposedly secure depot in Fairview.

Back in the day a full cravens set used to overnight in Arklow no problems
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21-08-2009, 18:16   #6
ThomasJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
It doesn't matter where the train is parked it will get vandalised

Its not the first 22k to get hit by the vandals. 29k sets have been hit over and over again, some getting the paint job in daytime with the driver actually onboard. A DART was set on fire while in service with passengers aboard and a number of DART coaches got windows smashed while parked within the supposedly secure depot in Fairview.

Back in the day a full cravens set used to overnight in Arklow no problems
Fair enough mark , the problem though is this could be repeated until the works are completed.

The other thing though is with regards to the car with the smashed windows irrespective of the stupidity for parking overnight its normally with companies the onus is either park at your own risk or secure paid parking one or the other not both can you think of any other parking company doing what irish rail are doing ?
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-08-2009, 08:06   #7
poolergirl
New to the board

The parking tickets cover you for a full 24 hours or a full week or month depending which one you buy. Not everyone travelling from Gorey to Dublin are commuters. People might be travelling up and staying overnight for a concert etc. it would be reasonable to expect that you could park here overnight. There are cars parked a number of yards away in driveways.
poolergirl is offline   Reply With Quote