Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 24-08-2009, 11:00   #81
irishsaint
Regular Poster

The 20 metre section I should expect to be the same as every other section along the viaduct. If one section is unsafe an collapses and unless structural supports are put inplace for each other section, then I dont believe a simple repair is possible. After cahir, this is just another shambolic display of incompetence from Irish Rail and the supposed management of their Infrastructure.

The 7pm Enterprise from Dublin normally timetabled to leave Drogheda at 19:31. Irish Rail advised me by phone that it will be approx 20:00 (8pm) before it now departs drogheda and maybe later (depends on busses from connolly reaching drogheda) but assured me that it wont leave until all the bussed passangers from Connolly connect for it (unlike friday when 3 busses of passangers scheduled for the 7 train from dublin did not reach drogheda in time for the train they laid on).

Last edited by irishsaint : 24-08-2009 at 11:03.
irishsaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-08-2009, 12:35   #82
plant43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post

1. Only 2 of the 3 enterprise sets are north of the bridge, Belfast hasn't a clue how to maintain a 201 class engine so serious problems ahead. The 3rd set was moved this afternoon for storage possibly hidden in the shed in Connolly or over to Inchicore
Just saw an Enterprise set in Inchicore.
plant43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-08-2009, 12:40   #83
Mark Hennessy
Membership Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarabennett View Post
I have a monthly ticket for September. Does anyone know about getting a refund? I'd rather buy weekly tickets for Bus Eireann until all this is over.
I think Mark G may have the details and I believe IE are going to offer refunds.

One letter in the Metro today suggested this as the place to start looking for a refund:

http://irishrail.ie/contact_us/conta...ice_delays.asp
Mark Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-08-2009, 13:09   #84
Charlie Hungerford
Regular Poster

Quick question: are IE still issuing daily tickets (eg day returns) for the Northern Line?

There's a few occasions where getting a bus with IE from Dublin to Drogheda suits my plans better than the Bus Eireann services.
Charlie Hungerford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-08-2009, 13:40   #85
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Refunds will happen, but details not published

Keep an eye here http://www.railusers.ie/resources/malahide.php
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-08-2009, 13:46   #86
Mark Hennessy
Membership Officer

Translink in NI are stating 6 months of closure which seems plausible.

Who honestly trusts to get the whole thing working in 3 months?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/n...nd/8217069.stm

Quote:
Transport company Iarnród Éireann had said they expected the line to be closed for at least three months.

Mal McGreevy from Translink said the disruption could last longer
But Mal McGreevy, Translink's General Manager of Rail Service, said it was more likely to be six months.
Unread 24-08-2009, 14:04   #87
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

I've spoken to a passenger on the 17:50 who reports the trip over the viaduct on Friday evening was not quite right, the water flow under the bridge was a lot stronger than normal
Unread 24-08-2009, 14:41   #88
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

I imagine they haven't reprogrammed the TVMs, so there's nothing stopping you from buying one.
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-08-2009, 14:57   #89
ThomasJ

Its a pity we cant get tidal readings or even just predictions for malahide for that date.

I know someone in skerries who me told me recently that high tides had been getting quiet high in recent times.
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-08-2009, 15:02   #90
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Someone on boards had a graph

Sunday was to be the highest
Unread 24-08-2009, 15:22   #91
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Tides are a mathematical formula based on the position of the moon, sun and planets, adjusted for local conditions and air pressure.

The Broadmeadow is a special case, the tides above the viaduct are up to 3 hours different to those below - the estuary acts almost like a separate sea for much of the time.

http://www.dusac.org/node/12

Malahide http://easytide.ukho.gov.uk/EasyTide...ictionLength=7

This is for Dublin Bay: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showp...6&postcount=30
Unread 24-08-2009, 16:03   #92
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Irish Rail has just issued a statement and it appears the bridge pier foundation was compromised in some way by erosion and the large tidal flows did the rest.

Waiting for the full text

Baz is on Last Word right now

Edit He has gone downstairs to Newstalk for the Right Hook, eta 17:23

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 24-08-2009 at 16:21.
Unread 24-08-2009, 16:12   #93
Mark Hennessy
Membership Officer

Quote:
Irish Rail has just issued a statement and it appears the bridge pier foundation was compromised in some way by erosion and the large tidal flows did the rest.

Waiting for the full text
Ergo, not looking good for a quick replacement?
Unread 24-08-2009, 16:19   #94
ThomasJ

certainly backs up what was said here on boards....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showp...69&postcount=9
Unread 24-08-2009, 16:40   #95
ThomasJ

Latest from RTE
http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0824/rail.html

Quote:
A preliminary assessment has identified significant erosion of the seabed as a possible reason for the collapse of a section of the railway viaduct near Malahide.

Up to 10,000 passengers are facing disruption for the next three months after the bridge across the Broadmeadow Estuary collapsed last Friday.

The collapse has severely disrupted intercity and commuter rail services on the Dublin to Belfast line.

In a statement this evening, Iarnród Éireann said it is believed that in a relatively short time-frame, possibly in recent weeks, that a small breach occurred in a causeway plateau within the seabed.

It said its investigation would also examine other factors, including inspection and maintenance reports and procedures.

The company said it is immediately establishing a team to carry out a detailed inspection of bridges and viaducts across running water throughout the network.

It also said a company board committee is to be established to oversee the investigation and will retain independent advisors.

Iarnród Éireann has the latest information

Commuters who normally use the Belfast to Dublin rail line have been warned to add around 30 minutes to their usual journey time.

Iarnrod Éireann put arrangements in place to provide extra buses for affected passengers.

Belfast Enterprise services to Dublin are running with passengers being transferred by bus between Drogheda and Connolly Station.

A special bus service will operate directly between Drogheda and Dublin Connolly.

Rail tickets are valid on these services. Customers from Dundalk, Laytown and Gormanston can connect to this service by using the Dundalk/Drogheda to Skerries rail services. This service will utilise Dublin Port Tunnel.

Iarnród Éireann said this morning's operation went smoothly with buses collecting passengers from Drogheda and north county Dublin for the transfer into the city without any major delays.
Unread 24-08-2009, 16:40   #96
Mark Hennessy
Membership Officer

Also, how can IE reconcile the extent of the collapse and the damage to the underlying pier structure with an engineering all clear last Tuesday?

In the absence of any major weather events in the 3 days after, something is amiss there.
Unread 24-08-2009, 17:31   #97
Bluetonic
New to the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hennessy View Post
In the absence of any major weather events in the 3 days after, something is amiss there.
Do you consider the abnormal high and low tides to be a weather event?
Bluetonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-08-2009, 17:35   #98
ThomasJ

It certainly is, its a force of mother nature you wouldn't touch with a barge pole! its not manmade (unless you believe global warming has something to do with it!)

Last edited by ThomasJ : 24-08-2009 at 17:39.
Unread 24-08-2009, 17:53   #99
Charlie Hungerford
Regular Poster

Quote:
Obviously Barry forgot what he was saying earlier in the week about not prejudicing the RAIU investigation.

I am a little concerned by this as the RAIU and IE's probes into the Skerries derailment came up with differing findings for several things, particularly regarding IE's maintenance culture.

IE may be trying to get the first blow in this time.
Charlie Hungerford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-08-2009, 18:23   #100
James Shields

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hennessy View Post
Also, how can IE reconcile the extent of the collapse and the damage to the underlying pier structure with an engineering all clear last Tuesday?
Agreed. Questions will have to be answered about the level of inspections carried out. In particular, I'd like to know when was the last time someone looked below the water line. Also, when was the last detailed inspection, and exactly what is checked at routine inspections?
James Shields is offline   Reply With Quote