Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > General Irish Rail Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-07-2008, 23:03   #1
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Default New Ticket Vending Machine Software

It appeared over the weekend, smaller sized text and the keyboard now appears on the front screen as well as the 4 most frequent options at that station

Far more graphical now and much better for zonal tickets

Pearse still can't issue a ticket to a Heuston side destination, but they finally removed Airport off the system instead of making it actually issue the DART to Airport ticket
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2008, 16:33   #2
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

Well, I missed my train in yesterday because of the extra time I spent trying to comprehend the new layout. But it's far more sensible.

I rather doubt though that the quick ticket choices are the most popular at the station because the five selections at Sandymount are all single journeys and the destinations include Greystones and Sutton. A return to Connolly surely sells many multiples of those two choices...
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2008, 19:16   #3
Laois Commuter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post

Pearse still can't issue a ticket to a Heuston side destination, but they finally removed Airport off the system instead of making it actually issue the DART to Airport ticket
Interesting, as Kildare can issue to Drogheda, Dundalk and Connolly (didn't try Pearse)

LC
Laois Commuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2008, 19:22   #4
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Well if you could tell us the fare quoted for Connolly, Drogheda or Dundalk as well as the station the TVM is at we can finally confirm if the TVM can issue tickets valid for the Luas/90 bus

We asked for this March 2006, told 3 months
Unread 05-07-2008, 10:45   #5
luasifer
Regular Poster

It is beyond comprehension that the ticket machines in any dublin area station cannot issue a ticket to all other stations in the Dublin area. Whats worse is the staff dont seem to think anything of this or see that people would want to do this.

For example one day I was travelling from Merrion Square to Sallins/Naas. I normally walk over and get the Luas at Busaras or Connolly. However it was lashing rain so I said I'd take the Dart to Connolly. I went into Pearse Station and asked for a ticket to Sallins and Naas (knowing in my head this would cause confusion). I was told that I had to get the train in Heuston Station, to which I replied that I knew that but wanted to use the dart&luas to get there. The ticket office person said they could only issue me a ticket from Heuston to Sallins&Naas if I wanted but not from Pearse. I ended up just getting a ticket to Connolly and having to use 3 tickets to get home when if the machines were programmed correctly and the staff trained correctly I would have only had to use 1 and my journey would have been cheaper.

It is utter incompetance. I also noted that the machines at some dart stations (eg: Salthill & Monkstown) cannot issue tickets to Belfast. Is it so unlikely that someone there might want to take Dart to Connolly and train to Belfast!
luasifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2008, 10:54   #6
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Guy in Pearse can issue the ticket, this is the usual couldn't be arsed IE approach

Complain, include three tickets demand refund, at least 1.45 difference, not acceptable
Unread 07-07-2008, 08:15   #7
plant43

Quote:
Well if you could tell us the fare quoted for Connolly, Drogheda or Dundalk as well as the station the TVM is at we can finally confirm if the TVM can issue tickets valid for the Luas/90 bus

We asked for this March 2006, told 3 months
I tried Newbridge -> Dundalk this morning and was quoted 32.30 for a single from the TVM.
plant43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2008, 08:51   #8
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Shock the TVM can issue Luas valid tickets!

Of course the majority don't know that there probably now is a 'Dublin City Centre' destination
Unread 07-07-2008, 08:57   #9
Mark Hennessy
Membership Officer

Quote:
Shock the TVM can issue Luas valid tickets!

Of course the majority don't know that there probably now is a 'Dublin City Centre' destination
Good news!

Can it issue tickets to Luas destinations or just City Centre?

2 years to get this far, come on Irish Rail, at least now advertise the fact that customers traveling into Heuston can get Luas valid tickets!
Mark Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2008, 09:01   #10
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Just for the Heuston Connolly leg

I tried Pearse Hazelhatch and the TVM hadn't even got Hazelhatch on it

Question is will the ticket have IFS printed on it somewhere so the veoila inspectors accept it as a valid ticket?

Like I said we asked for this March 2006, told 3 months, it took 2 years 3 months which is shameful
Unread 07-07-2008, 13:21   #11
plant43

Oh, something I forget to mention, you could only buy tickets for Drogheda or Dundalk, you weren't able to buy tickets for any intermediate stations along the Northern Line (I looked for Balbriggan, Skerries and Rush & Lusk).
plant43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2008, 13:28   #12
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Looks like only intercity destinations so, Gormanston and Laytown will probably work
Unread 08-07-2008, 18:03   #13
chuggachuggachoochoo
Regular Poster

The weekly ticket issued from the machine isn't being accepted in the ticket validators at pearse - machine says invalid day - ticket starts on sunday's date, so maybe the machine is reading the start date instead of end date?
chuggachuggachoochoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2008, 18:06   #14
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Someone goofed up, probably a bug in the code

Go to the booking office and ask for it to be replaced.
Unread 18-07-2008, 11:08   #15
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Little bit of research there exists a Dublin City Centre destination on the ticket vending machines and it is clearly Luas valid
Unread 18-07-2008, 18:12   #16
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

Does it actually print IFS on the ticket?
Unread 18-07-2008, 18:17   #17
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Don't know but the screen clearly states its Luas valid since it offers a with Luas and without Luas option, have photo
Unread 18-07-2008, 19:04   #18
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

I wouldn't want to be arguing the toss with a Veolia CSO and I'm sure IÉ would find a way to worm out of paying your €45 standard fare if you end up with one.
Unread 19-07-2008, 10:23   #19
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Here it is
Name:  PICT1446.jpg
Views: 3615
Size:  89.2 KB
The issue of the IFS is under investigation
Unread 31-07-2008, 10:01   #20
Mark Hennessy
Membership Officer

In an amazing display of pro-activeness, Irish Rail have placed visible adverts over each Ticket Machine stating that they now sell Weekly and Monthly commuter tickets.

I used the machines in Connolly and they were extremely slow. So slow, a customer would have walked away.
It seemed to be a local issue though as the ones in Maynooth were a little faster.

So the machines still only sell Irish Rail only monthly tickets, how about a next step where they list other tickets such as Monthly Bus / Rail and Monthly Bus /Rail / Luas?

Even if they dont sell them from the TVM, they could highlight the fact they are available for sale.
Mark Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote