Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > Longford-Maynooth-Dunboyne-Clonsilla-Dublin line
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 22-04-2008, 13:52   #1
thedailygrudge
New to the board

Default Trains required after 19.00 to Mullingar

Does anyone else think that we need trains after 19.00 as a matter of urgency.

I contacted IR about this for the last 2 years and they state there is not enough demand for the service & hardly anyone has expressed interest in it, which I do not believe.

The fact people can't start work any earlier than 8.30 means we occassionally have to work late, meaning after 19.00 like most of the modern capital cities in the world. For IR to expect me to catch a 11pm bus home and hang around Bus Aras on my own as an alternative is a joke!!!

We did get a 21.00 train this year on the timetable but it was taken off within minute sof being deicided upon in draft format due to the fact it would mean cancelling the 18.15. How these 2 would be interlinked I don't know. Surely there are enough drivers for a 18.15 and a 21.00 from Connolly to Mullingar.

Can everyone who agrees we need this later train please write in to IR P. Slowey to make sure we express our concern?

Thanks,
newby to forum but long term commuter
thedailygrudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22-04-2008, 14:19   #2
lambo77
Regular Poster

Default post address

Can you post the full address of who you shouls send a letter to
lambo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22-04-2008, 14:29   #3
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

As as been shown quite clearly in recent weeks there aren't enough drivers to provide the current service

The 'last minute' change is classic Irish Rail strategy, its far too often used as an excuse and canceling the 18:18 is not a option, I'm fairly sure there is a way around this

It is an absolute disgrace that the last train beyond Maynooth leaves at 19:05, compare that to Dundalk which is 23:20, Rosslare is even worse at 18:35

We where up in Leinster House recently and this issue was discussed, you would be amazed how many empty trains Irish Rail run since they can't arrange correct staffing levels at a wide number of stations

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 22-04-2008 at 14:44.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22-04-2008, 14:49   #4
ThomasJ

There were various rumours doing the rounds as to why there was such a quick about-turn. One of those rumours included representations from a Westmeath politician to a senior CIE official to have the 18:18 Connolly Longford kept rather than curtailing the service back to maynooth.

If the 18:18 ho Longford had've been cut back to Maynooth or maybe even Mullingar the 21:00 to Mullingar would've been running today.

I remember this article.

http://www.railusers.ie/forum/showpo...0&postcount=47

Last edited by ThomasJ : 22-04-2008 at 15:00.
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22-04-2008, 14:55   #5
Mark Hennessy
Membership Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedailygrudge View Post
Does anyone else think that we need trains after 19.00 as a matter of urgency.

I contacted IR about this for the last 2 years and they state there is not enough demand for the service & hardly anyone has expressed interest in it, which I do not believe.

The fact people can't start work any earlier than 8.30 means we occassionally have to work late, meaning after 19.00 like most of the modern capital cities in the world. For IR to expect me to catch a 11pm bus home and hang around Bus Aras on my own as an alternative is a joke!!!

We did get a 21.00 train this year on the timetable but it was taken off within minute sof being deicided upon in draft format due to the fact it would mean cancelling the 18.15. How these 2 would be interlinked I don't know. Surely there are enough drivers for a 18.15 and a 21.00 from Connolly to Mullingar.

Can everyone who agrees we need this later train please write in to IR P. Slowey to make sure we express our concern?

Thanks,
newby to forum but long term commuter

Hi and welcome to the RUI forum.

It really is a protracted battle to get even the most basic of services with Irish Rail. It took years for a late night service to Maynooth alone.

I understand perfectly how work can keep you late and stressing over catching the last train does no help.

I understand Bus Eireann have services to Mullingar up to 11PM so some demand must exist for a later service.

I wonder why they cannot run a later service that could be become a very early service, say leaving Mullingar at 6:20am?
Mark Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22-04-2008, 15:01   #6
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

The correct address with respect of timetabling on the Sligo line is

Michael Power
Service Planning Manager Northern and Eastern
Connolly Station
Dublin 1

Since you are complaining about the need for extra trains its not a 'customer service' issue since you aint a customer. Our experience indicates you won't get a response unless you use some clever moves, getting your local FF TD to back you ensures a response, seriously has to be FF for some reason

Suggestions and comments are not replied to, seriously have that in writing
Unread 22-04-2008, 15:32   #7
Ballymore
Regular Poster

Maybe the mystery 'Mullingar Commuter Group' so often quoted in local papers could take up the baton on this and organise another phantom survey to see how many current commuters would avail of a later train.

I certainly would occasionally as I've often been stuck in the office in the middle of something and no matter how important it is I've had to leave at 6.45pm at the very latest and leg it to Connolly to get the last train.
Unread 24-04-2008, 04:21   #8
ccos

Quote:
getting your local FF TD to back you ensures a response, seriously has to be FF for some reason
Given FGs success rate in recent general elections they probably feel theres no danger of them becoming their paymasters anytime soon
ccos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-04-2008, 09:04   #9
Mark Hennessy
Membership Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccos View Post
Given FGs success rate in recent general elections they probably feel theres no danger of them becoming their paymasters anytime soon
Speaking of TD's, I would urge all concerned D15 residents to get down this if possible:

http://www.joanburton.ie/?sectionid=8

Quote:
Public Meeting on Transport - 24th April at 8pm in 'The Paddocks', Littlepace

April 17, 2008
I will host a public meeting on Thursday 24th April to deal with public transport issues facing Dublin 15 and facilitate questions by members of the public to representatives from transport providers as follows.

SPEAKERS:

Gareth Quinn – Dublin Bus (Area Manager North West)
John Reville – Iarnród Eireann (Regional Manager)
Myles McHugh – Iarnród Eireann (Service Planning Manager)
Tom O’Reilly – RPA (Metro West Project Manager)
Joan Burton TD – Labour Party Deputy Leader

We hope that you can attend and all are welcome

Venue: ‘The Paddocks’, Littlepace (Upstairs Lounge)
Date: Thursday 24th April 2008
Time: 8pm
Unread 24-04-2008, 10:36   #10
ThomasJ

I will be there!
Unread 24-04-2008, 11:54   #11
Mark Hennessy
Membership Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasJ View Post
I will be there!
Tom,

Any idea where littlepace is?

Bus routes etc?

I have a prior commitment but i'm trying to worm my way out.
Unread 24-04-2008, 12:23   #12
ThomasJ

Mark,

I know that there is a 19:00hrs 270 route that goes from Blanchardstown Centre, that route goes through Littlepace. Unfortunately its the last one for the night!

I'm not 100% sure but its a couple of minutes from Clonee village so the 70 route back would probably be best.
Unread 24-04-2008, 12:38   #13
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Poor Mark needs to get to Maynooth afterwards!

Been to Littlepace before and there are 5 options really, as far as I remember the Paddocks is quite close to the N3

1. 270 from Blancharstown, assuming you can get there for 19:00
2. Get the 70 from Hawkins Street and get the 18:25 bus which goes through littlepace twice (seriously),
3. Train to Clonsilla, get 39 bus outside station to Ongar, head kind of north towards Clonee, you will need a map 25-30 minutes tops. Walk back to Clonsilla for last train
4. 39 bus the whole way to Ongar and as 3
5. Either train or bus to Clonsilla and walk from there, again more or less North 35 minutes I'd guess

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 24-04-2008 at 12:43.
Unread 25-04-2008, 09:21   #14
thedailygrudge
New to the board

The correct contacts at Irish Rail are now;
Paul Slowey (Paul.Slowey@irishrail.ie) and Dick Fearne (dick.fearne@irishrail.ie), Michael Powers has been out sick for the last 6 months.

I know what you mean about getting a representative in order ot get a response (ccos).

Ballymore - I am one of the "phantom" members of the Mullingar commuter group and spent around 20 hours doing the "phantom" survey which got 300 "phantom" commuters signatures

I organised a petition last year and got numerous meetings organised with Michael Powers (during our lunch breaks) to discuss the new timetable. We were making progress until he then left sick and we were not informed who was taking over the timetabling of the Western line. Because there were about 10 of us engaging in these meetings, we were told to form a commuter group. If you would like Ballymore we could use your help with the surveys next time?

This was purely off our own back, and we have campaigned and approached local journalists, media and policitians in Westmeath and Mullingar, giving up a lot of our personal time to organise articles to expose the truth about Irish Rail. There is just not enough local support. People seem to complain to each other but not do anything active about it. I am leaving Ireland this year so I think that some locals should participate in doing something about this "actively". So far, majority of the commuter group are not locals from Mullingar.

I organised a petition for a week in Mullingar and obtained 300 signatures from commuters asking for later trains and heating and more reliable timing and an earlier service, such as mentioned by Mark. I typed up an letter of complaint and distributed it to Mullingar commuters. We asked for the Enfield early service to originate in Mullingar and were told, the driver comes from Dublin and could not leave earlier to extend his trip to Mullingar.

Why are there no local drivers in Mullingar area. Since 2 drivers from Mullingar are currently driving on Dublin services it makes no sense!"

ANyway, if anyone on this board is from Mullingar or Longford and wants to contribute to the Mullingar commuter group, please feel free to contact me and I can give you some info and we could always do with more people's support and contributions (time wise).
Unread 25-04-2008, 09:46   #15
Ballymore
Regular Poster

Thanks thedailygrudge for being the first one to identify themselves as part of that group that I have occasionally been taking the pi&& out of.

But only as I kept hearing about these surveys and so on but never actually seen one and I am a regular commuter from Mullingar the last 4 or 5 years!

Now that I know it exists I'll desist from mocking and will gladly help if any surveys etc being taken.
Unread 25-04-2008, 09:50   #16
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Drop us a email with details, email address and so on, we frequently get asked by media and the like

We can stick it on the website
Unread 25-04-2008, 09:57   #17
ThomasJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hennessy View Post
Speaking of TD's, I would urge all concerned D15 residents to get down this if possible:

http://www.joanburton.ie/?sectionid=8
Good meeting last night. Some interesting information came out but more so from RPA and Dublin Bus.
Unread 25-04-2008, 14:07   #18
thedailygrudge
New to the board

Default Mullingar Commuter Group

Hi Ballymore,

No problem, I just know we get a lot of the slack and get blamed for Irish Rails decisions, but we can only do our best.

You probably would recognise some of the people in the group as some have been travelling up to 9 years on the train. We are really all sick of Irish Rail. Of the committee - 2 are lawyers, 2 are in IT, 1 is a journalist, 2 work for the government, 1 is an HR manager and 2 are in finance. So there are a broad range of people from the IFSC, North/ South side & Dun Loghaire.

I use my email address to write to the people who signed the petition about up to date responses from IR and for any suggestions and about meetings etc. I might set up a specific email and then it can be posted on this website.
At the moment we are trying to plan a meeting with Paul SLowey around timetabling for next year.

I was thinking of leaving a petition at the Mullingar station for people to sign, but wondered if it was legal, so instead last year, I stood out the front for a few days on different trains but the train would never wait for me so I always missed getting a few more signatures.

Myself and one other member have had contact with the Examiner and Topic in order to put our side accross, another member also compiled a customer complaints record since 2003 in a spreadsheet which is an interesting read. If you pass me on your email I can send it to you if you like. We all added our personal evidence to it. Although I am sure there is lots more we haven't included.
Unread 26-04-2008, 01:58   #19
awhooley
New to the board

Hi thedailygrudge, My name is Aaron, I commute daily from Mullingar to Dublin. I, like many, had to stay in Dublin late many times and had to wait until 11pm to get the bus to Mullingar. Even Portlaoise/Carlow has a later train service than Mullingar.

So if there is anyway I can contribute to the group, I would love to.

My email address is aaron@wired.ie , please contact me on this address to get in touch

- Aaron

I will do whatever I can to help sort this mess out
awhooley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-04-2008, 20:59   #20
awhooley
New to the board

actually, come to think of it, Dundalk is actually further away from Dublin than Mullingar, yet they have a train back from Dublin at 23:20!! , If we even had a 9pm ex Dublin service, it would be great!

Oh by the way thedailygrudge, I work in the IT sector, and it would be great if the group had a website. If you are like, I can sort out something.

- Aaron

Last edited by awhooley : 27-04-2008 at 21:05.
awhooley is offline   Reply With Quote