Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > Longford-Maynooth-Dunboyne-Clonsilla-Dublin line
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 14-09-2006, 13:13   #1
Derek Wheeler

Default Coolmine level crossing

Just in on the complaints hotline.

"On my way home at approx ten past ten last night the level crossing at coolmine station closed for approx ten mins leaving me stuck on the other side from my house. the annoying thing is the gates eventually opened but no train passed through at all.
This is a regular occurance and has left me stuck in the rain on one occasion recently. "
Derek Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14-09-2006, 13:18   #2
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Unread 14-09-2006, 14:59   #3
Donal Quinn

happens in athenry too
isn't that because the station is right beside the level crossing and as a train is coming into the station from either direction they close the gates

obviously they need to close the gates if the train has to cross the raod before it gets into the station but even if it is coming from the other direction the gates have to be closed anyway in case the brakes on the train fails and it over shoots the station and crosses the road - killing anyone in the way

better to be stuck in the rain than ran over by a train - especially a 29000 - can you imagine!!
Donal Quinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14-09-2006, 15:07   #4
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Quote:
especially a 29000
Yeah, i'd never live that down.......
Unread 14-09-2006, 15:08   #5
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Donalq is quite correct the gates must be down even if the train is scheduled to stop before them

Lansdowne Rd is a classic example where the gates will close a northbound DART will roll in, stop and the gate open

Interestingly the rules state that if a train breaks the red signal protecting a level crossing that the barriers will not lower, but the warning lights and bell will sound. Note thats the signal 200m from the crossing not the one next to it

The time between gates lowering and train passing is dictated by the speed of the fastest train, all trains see a green signal, on the DART system the computer gives different priorities to different trains

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 14-09-2006 at 15:40.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14-09-2006, 15:38   #6
Brian Condron

As an interesting side note, I learned yesterday that crowd control staff at Lansdowne Rd stadium are in contact with IE, and can and do instruct the gates to be lowered to alleviate congestion at some of the gates. So that's why you can be stuck behind the gates while there are no trains in site.

I also noticed ysterday that in he changing rooms/VIP area the DARTs passing are incredibly loud and cause a lot of vibrations.
Brian Condron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14-09-2006, 15:42   #7
PaulM
Really Regular Poster

I think the point of the post is that the gates were down for 10 minutes and no train passed and then they opened.
PaulM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14-09-2006, 16:29   #8
colmoc

ok I posted that compliaint yesterday and let me assure you there was no train, not in the station not passed through not passing through or on its way??
colmoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14-09-2006, 16:38   #9
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Ok if a train stops before the protecting signal and that signal is not red the gates are down and locked, if after a preset timeout the train has not passed the signal it can be reset to red and the gates will reopen. This happens only if the signalman has confirmed the train stopped normally by radio telephone or visually by CCTV

I've seen this a few times where a train is detained at a station due to a incident onboard and boy we had fun last night on public transport
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-09-2006, 08:07   #10
PaulM
Really Regular Poster

Colm, I know what you mean. I have seen this at Sydney Parade more than once. Gates go down, people get annoyed gates go up. No trains visible between Landsdowne and Booterstown. Very irritating when you're in a rush.
PaulM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-09-2006, 09:07   #11
Jister

Is it not time to get rid of some of these these level crossings along the dart? Not cheap, but surely inevitable.
Jister is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-09-2006, 09:15   #12
colmoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson
I've seen this a few times where a train is detained at a station due to a incident onboard and boy we had fun last night on public transport
What kinda fun were you having on PT then Mark??

I dont mind sitting at a crossing if a train is coming but when there is no sign of it for few mins or more and your out running or on a bike etc its slightly frustrating

Its amazing what people will do when no train arrives. In coolmine the crossing is on a curve of sorts so you cant see whats coming
I've seen lots of people jump the gates and saunter across, others climb the gates into the station over the bridge and the out the other side
colmoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-09-2006, 09:34   #13
Mark Hennessy
Membership Officer

If I am getting off at Coolmine, I always just cross the footbridge and then out.
I have seen the gates still down with a big crowd behind whilst I am turning onto
the Delwood Rd. which is about 500m further down the Coolmine Rd.
Mark Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote