Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > Longford-Maynooth-Dunboyne-Clonsilla-Dublin line
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 01-11-2006, 16:07   #1
grainne whale
Really Regular Poster

Default Clown Outfit

On the 8 40am service out of Maynooth this this morning, we ground to a halt outside Clonsilla at 8 55am for 1 hour due to a signal problem. Very interesting situation one could write a play about it: while one passenger referred to IR as 'a clown outfit' another was on the point of opening the emergency doors to walk along the track back to the nearest station. Announcements by the train driver were inaudible !!
grainne whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2006, 16:23   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Firstly no report on IE site this morning on this well nothing new

Under no circumstances bar immediate threat to your safety should you leave a train between stations, if in an exteremly unlikely event you have to

Move to a different coach otherwise

1) Pull the communication cord, driver should not be able to move off if the communication cord system is not reset while train stationary
2) If fitted speak to the driver using the emergency contact system
3) Exit through the side away from track unless on a bridge
4) Break the plastic seal and pull the handle of the door release (this also makes it impossible for the driver to move the train)
5) Slide door
6) Exit calmly and with care

It should be noted in many situations and in particular fire the driver may as a matter of urgency may try to split the train in two to prevent the fire from spreading, obey instructions and don't get in the way

Many people have died while doing stupid things where there was no immediate risk or who took chances in an emergency by not following common sense

The Railway Safety Commission have a new passenger guide at draft stage
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2006, 16:41   #3
PaulM
Really Regular Poster

If I was stuck on a train for an hour with no idea why. I would exit wherever I was and walk to the nearest station.

The rail safety commission may have a new guide. That won't get me into work on time. Getting out of the train may.
PaulM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2006, 17:11   #4
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Mulcahy View Post
If I was stuck on a train for an hour with no idea why. I would exit wherever I was and walk to the nearest station.
Its been shown the driver was present, how you deal with a unconscious driver ain't in the rule book but it doesn't involve getting out

And wack Paul just got himself killed and delayed the train even further, its no joke you NEVER bail out unless your personal safety is compromised and even then you take steps to tell the driver. When they bailed out of the commuter train in Skerries a while back it was only luck and quick actions that stopped a train passing at 90mph, no immediate risk almost ended in tragegy most people don't know that

On a single track line chances are you will get away with it only to find yourself outside in the cold miles from anywhere and chances are you have little clue where you actually are

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 01-11-2006 at 17:13.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2006, 17:34   #5
PaulM
Really Regular Poster

Chances are Paul won't jump out on the track side!

Now, as long as IE keep this culture of not letting people know what is going on, people will do things like this. IE need to realise that the fair paying passengers deserve to be updated. A familiar scenario

P: "Why are we stopped?"
D: "Relax, we'll move soon."

That is no good when late for work, jumping off the train and getting a cab is. However, calling work with an explanation of the problem the train is facing is a good reason to be late. "The late arrival of an incoming train" just doesn't cut it anymore.

End result: If IE could learn how to serve their customers people would be far less likely to jump off trains. If customers are kept informed of the problem, they will most likely hang on.
Unread 01-11-2006, 17:41   #6
grainne whale
Really Regular Poster

Really I didn't mean to start a row, when I said inaudible, I meant you could not hear what the driver was saying I was in the 2nd last carriage, and I am not hard of hearing.
Unread 01-11-2006, 18:24   #7
ThomasJ

I do believe that safety comes before anything else but the 7.57 ex coolmine which was extremely uncomfortable and extremely overcrowded this morning this is a train that is known for people fainting and i am sure that if this train stopped for an hour in this state people would take action

Last edited by ThomasJ : 01-11-2006 at 18:28.
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2006, 19:05   #8
PaulM
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by grainne whale View Post
Really I didn't mean to start a row, when I said inaudible, I meant you could not hear what the driver was saying I was in the 2nd last carriage, and I am not hard of hearing.
You didn't start a row.
Unread 01-11-2006, 22:57   #9
MrX
Really Regular Poster

Default Failing to make an announcement will cause an accident!

IE should be hung out to dry for failing ot make an announcement when a train has myseriously stopped. A lack of information will cause passengers to consider bailing out. It's not unreasonable that one might if there were no announcements at all.

I'd assume the driver had had a heart attack or collapsed!

This isn't just bad customer care, it's downright dangerous and irresponsible behaviour on the part of the driver and IE.

Intercom systems should work. It's utterly unacceptable that they wouldn't for this very reason.
MrX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2006, 09:17   #10
grainne whale
Really Regular Poster

The driver did make announcements but it was the intercom wasn't working properly and passengers couldn't hear what he was saying, no wonder they got frustrated.
Unread 02-11-2006, 15:25   #11
sean

same difference.
sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2006, 16:07   #12
PaulM
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by grainne whale View Post
The driver did make announcements but it was the intercom wasn't working properly and passengers couldn't hear what he was saying, no wonder they got frustrated.
These are the sorts of things that make IE the worst example of a rail operator I can think of.