Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > Longford-Maynooth-Dunboyne-Clonsilla-Dublin line
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 28-06-2006, 08:23   #1
ClonsillaBound
New to the board

Default [28-6-2006] 7:57 Maynooth Bray

I used to get this train all the time, and got it today for the first time in weeks from Clonsilla going to Lansdowne. However, without warning (or at least without any warning I heard) it terminated in Pearse. A member of staff was informing passengers listening to MP3 players etc. that the train had terminated. One passenger started complaining to him that this was happening all the time now, he was saying something about it being the driver's decision, but I didn't catch all of this because I was getting off at the time. Does anyone know any more about this? Does it happen all the time? I'll stop getting this train again if this is the case.

Oh, and while the staff member was talking to the passenger the doors shut and the train pulled off with about a dozen passengers who were unaware of what was going on, because they had their headphones in. We passed the train on the DART out of Pearse and it was pulled in before Grand Canal Dock. I don't think I'd be too happy to be stuck there and told the train was going no further.
ClonsillaBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28-06-2006, 08:46   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

The 7:57 was parked up on the third track between Pearse and Grand Canal Dock at 8:55 this morning, the driver had changed ends and was ready to head back through Pearse. The train was running more or less on time since its due through Grand Canal Dock at 8:53

We have no clue what happened, but there are times when a train must be taken out of service due to a fault, Pearse is the first possible location since Connolly doesn't have a free 8 coach platform at the time

If the cab signalling equipment fails the train must be taken out of service, its fairly rare but it does happen, if the driver safety device fails again it must be taken out of service. Its unlikely the train itself was in mechanical trouble it could still keep time with several engines shutdown.

This is the first time in recent memory the train has terminated in Pearse, there was a serious breakdown a while back at Broombridge when the brakes locked up. The train type is the most reliable in the country after the DART fleet and would be significantly more reliable than similar trains in Europe

The train should not have left Pearse with passengers aboard that said passengers should obey instructions of staff its for there own safety. The driver had CCTV of the entire train in his cab. The delay would only be 3-5 minutes tops compared to a possibilty of getting stuck for an hour if it goes wrong its a good trade off

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 28-06-2006 at 08:53.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28-06-2006, 08:59   #3
colmoc

I was on this train this morning and the driver gave a warning at connolly, tara and coming into pearse that due to a mechanical failure on the train it would not be going to bray and would terminate in pearse.

I was surprised to see the train moving off with passangers onboard and by the sound of it the engines were running in most of the carriages I walked past on way out of pearse.
colmoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28-06-2006, 09:09   #4
ClonsillaBound
New to the board

Good to hear this is not a frequent occurance, I'll go back to using this again. I didn't hear any warning myself because I had my headphones in. I think this is why there were passengers who didn't know what was going on. The staff member who was supposed to tell those passengers who were unaware of what was happening was delayed by the guy who was demanding to know what was wrong. It sounds now like his "this happens all the time" statement was untrue and he was a contributing factor to a number of passengers being stuck between Pearse and Grand Canal Dock. By the way, the irate passenger made it off before the doors shut, so he didn't get stuck.

Great website, I have only found it recently. Its excellent to be able to get feedback on problems like this.
ClonsillaBound is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28-06-2006, 16:24   #5
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

The great thing about this section of the message board is we slowly are getting to point where there will be someone present on the majority of services, as the old banner said we are standing next to you on the platform.

Based on what has been posted it appears good effort was made to inform passengers of the change of plan, no confirmation if the driver change the PIS system to show Pearse as the last stop, that would trigger the display to scroll the, This is the last stop, please ensure you have all you belongings with you when you leave the train, thank you for travelling with Iarnrod Eireann we can't find fault there (normally we can) well the staff member could have taken his whistle out that tends to work

Something certainly went wrong when passengers were left onboard, that said in recent weeks passengers have adopted a sit in approach when breakdowns have occured thus further delaying matters for everyone, wake up people they are not going to rethink the plan since you moan, faster you get off faster you will get to where you are going.

This is rare and not representive of the reliabilty of the service, we keep a close eye on these things. Our favorite incident was back in 2005 when an engine self destructed, passengers took matters into there own hands (poor communication) caused a major safety incident and added at least 30 minutes to the delay, the train was able to continue to the next station without assistance
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote