Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > Gorey-Arklow-Wicklow Line
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 04-02-2008, 09:37   #1
Morgase
New to the board

Default No heating

There was no heating on the half seven train from Wicklow this morning. The lights were also not fully on. In fairness, the heating is usually on but to not have heating this morning was hard to handle.

I think I am beginning to understand how frustrated the Maynooth passengers must be!
Morgase is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2009, 08:41   #2
poolergirl
New to the board

No heating on the 06:00 train from Gorey this morning, particularly nice considering the temperature was sub zero. I'm glad that the 10% fare increase is being put to good use...
poolergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2009, 09:35   #3
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

I know it sounds stupid, but don't sit there tell the driver.

Based on posts here, you will likely discover the driver has turned on the heating. There is a glitch, the solution is switch off heating for 30 seconds then back on again and magically it will start to work
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2009, 10:32   #4
Mark Hennessy
Membership Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
I know it sounds stupid, but don't sit there tell the driver.
Yeah but if you have a seat, do you have to run up the platform and bang on his window?

I wouldn't press the emergency intercom button myself, so how does one alert the driver?

These little things shouldn't be up to the passenger, does the driver not have a checklist of things to do before starting each day?
Mark Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2009, 11:23   #5
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Problem is the heating is switched on, a computer glitch seems to occur occasionally which despite switch being on there is no heat/air con, a quick switch off/on sorts it out. Sometimes one half of the train has heat other half doesn't

The message is we need to be more proactive in reporting and complaining when things aren't right, its all too easy for Irish Rail to say they have no reports or complaints. Complaining on the spot may result in a solution there and then.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2009, 11:40   #6
KSW
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hennessy View Post
Yeah but if you have a seat, do you have to run up the platform and bang on his window?

I wouldn't press the emergency intercom button myself, so how does one alert the driver?

These little things shouldn't be up to the passenger, does the driver not have a checklist of things to do before starting each day?
Agreed. I done this once, just walk up to the front carriage when the train arrives at the next station simply get out behind the driver's cabin door and tell him.
KSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26-01-2009, 10:01   #7
poolergirl
New to the board

I got on the train at 5.50 before it took off and the driver was sitting in the carriage I was in, so I think that he was aware of the problem.

Normally there is a conductor on this service, and a couple of times before he has recommended switching carriages as the heating would be working in one carriage and not another.

This particular day I checked the carriage behind and there was no heating there either.

Last edited by poolergirl : 26-01-2009 at 10:04.
poolergirl is offline   Reply With Quote