Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > All stops to Thurles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 25-01-2019, 10:58   #1
KildareNewby
New to the board

Default Dublin Bus/LUAS add on from Newbridge

Long time lurker, first time poster!

I normally get a point to point ticket from Newbridge with the 90/145/Luas to Connolly add on. This costs the additional €440 annually

I see that Sallins users (who get the short hop - a conversation for another time) can add dublin bus network/luas for an additional €600 annually. Can I have this added to my Newbridge point to point?

Thanks.
KildareNewby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-01-2019, 20:50   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Point + Point + 9x/145/Luas as far as Georges Dock is +440

There is new for 2019
Quote:
New Dublin urban annual add-on fare of €600 for commuters who already have an annual ticket on Iarnród Éireann intercity services to allow travel on Dublin City bus or Luas services.
Thats Bus OR Luas, not both but its unclear

While a fare exists, its going to be some time before it is actually available.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28-01-2019, 14:47   #3
KildareNewby
New to the board

Thanks Mark,

I see the below from the web-site which states dublin bus & luas:

Surely if they can do on a leap card from Sallins they can do on one from Newbridge. Second class citizens in Newbridge as usual...

Annual Tickets
Dublin Area. Zonal based commuter tickets.

Annual Commuter Rail & DART
€1450.00More Info

Annual Commuter Rail, DART, Dublin City Bus & LUAS
€2050.00More Info
Unread 28-01-2019, 21:46   #4
berneyarms
Really Regular Poster

Sallins is within the short hop zone, the boundaries of which were re-set so that they would be on an equal distance basis on each line from Dublin (Balbriggan, Kilcock, Sallins and Kilcoole).

Where do you draw the line the for more heavily subsidised public transport that the suburban fares offer? That all costs the State and the operators money.

Newbridge is further out still - unfortunately the Intercity fares have to start somewhere and someone is always going to lose out.

As Mark says the NTA have committed to introducing a Dublin Bus or LUAS add-on for InterCity passengers at some point during 2019 - but the implementation date remains unconfirmed as yet.

Last edited by berneyarms : 28-01-2019 at 21:51.
berneyarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-01-2019, 09:25   #5
KildareNewby
New to the board

Absolutely get your point on outwith the short hop.

Why the difficulty around the add on - surely it's a simple update? It shouldn't take months to sort out.

Last question on this:

If I renew my point to point plus 90/145/luas as it stands will I then be able to upgrade to the Dublin bus add on at the proportionate rate for the remainder of the annual pass when it becomes applicable or, more likely, will I have to wait until I renew my annual pass again?
Unread 29-01-2019, 11:51   #6
James Shields

I currently pay €2640 for a Drogheda to Dublin point-to-point on the taxsaver scheme.

I'm happy enough with the price I pay, but what irks me is that users with a short hop zone ticket can travel anywhere in the short hop zone on their ticket, while I can only travel to stations between Drogheda and Dublin. In addition, the gymnastics required to make a journey from one of the stations covered by my annual ticket to one outside on my leap card are often more hassle then they're worth, and on at least one occasion I decided it would be easier to just drive.

It would be nice if point-to-point tickets included the short hop zone.

Better still would be to recognise that many people commute to Dublin from much further than the extremities of the short hop zone. Offering a medium hop zone ticket would probably be revenue neutral for Irish Rail, as well as being easier to administer, but would give commuters outside the short hop zone a better deal.
James Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-01-2019, 14:07   #7
James Howard
Really Really Regluar Poster

There was an agreement in principle to bring in a Bus / Luas / Commuter rail add-on for point-to-point tickets in last November's fare determination. They acknowledged that it was going to be difficult to implement so it might be next year before it happens.

The whole rail-only nature of point-to-point tickets is just silly. There are two expressway busses heading through Mullingar, Edgeworthstown and Longford after the last train and it would make perfect logical sense to be able to buy an add-on to get access to those busses.

I suggested this to the NTA a couple of years ago but you might as well ask to be able to take a sub-orbital rocket to Longford since Expressway is a "commercial" service.
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-01-2019, 14:25   #8
berneyarms
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Howard View Post
There was an agreement in principle to bring in a Bus / Luas / Commuter rail add-on for point-to-point tickets in last November's fare determination. They acknowledged that it was going to be difficult to implement so it might be next year before it happens.

The whole rail-only nature of point-to-point tickets is just silly. There are two expressway busses heading through Mullingar, Edgeworthstown and Longford after the last train and it would make perfect logical sense to be able to buy an add-on to get access to those busses.

I suggested this to the NTA a couple of years ago but you might as well ask to be able to take a sub-orbital rocket to Longford since Expressway is a "commercial" service.
Expressway is a commercially operated service - it receives no subsidy, so no need for quotation marks.

I don’t see how that could work in practice - you’d have other operators up in arms over it.

It could only work with maybe an extended 115 to/from Longford.
Unread 29-01-2019, 14:25   #9
berneyarms
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KildareNewby View Post
Absolutely get your point on outwith the short hop.

Why the difficulty around the add on - surely it's a simple update? It shouldn't take months to sort out.

Last question on this:

If I renew my point to point plus 90/145/luas as it stands will I then be able to upgrade to the Dublin bus add on at the proportionate rate for the remainder of the annual pass when it becomes applicable or, more likely, will I have to wait until I renew my annual pass again?
Nothing to do with ticketing is ever straightforward - we will have to wait and see what happens.
Unread 29-01-2019, 15:35   #10
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Technically there are two solutions here

Point to Point + Dublin city buses (its not just Dublin Bus...)
Point to Point + Luas

Thats complex as its a new ticket type which needs to be understood by a lot of hardware

The easy solution is to load two separate tickets onto the card, Leap card allows for at least 5 if not more 'products' to be loaded at the same time
Point to Point + Dublin Bus Annual

Requires no IT changes on the ground just some minor admin at the IE office end when issuing the tickets.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote