Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > Gorey-Arklow-Wicklow Line
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 03-03-2019, 18:51   #21
Inniskeen
Really Regular Poster

Has Irish Rail applied or do they no longer have any input ?
Inniskeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2019, 08:59   #22
ACustomer
Really Regular Poster

@berneyarms: OK, so that means that the NTA are useless. I could list other huge expenditures they are proposing, while neglecting ongoing facilities.

The capital/current distinction can be carried to absolutely ridiculous extremes.
ACustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2019, 12:43   #23
Jamie2k9
Really Really Regluar Poster

There are plenty of stations with surplus TMVs, one could be moved and placed next to the Luas ones.

Stations with 4+ TMVs when likely in excess of 80% is Leap, Annaul or Free Travel is a poor uss of resources.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2019, 08:40   #24
berneyarms
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACustomer View Post
@berneyarms: OK, so that means that the NTA are useless. I could list other huge expenditures they are proposing, while neglecting ongoing facilities.

The capital/current distinction can be carried to absolutely ridiculous extremes.
Well let’s be honest the current rolling stock crisis is down to NTA inaction and dithering.

The late delivery of the footbridge and direct interchange at Broombridge was down to NTA funding delays as I understand it.

It’s very simplistic to blame the operating companies.
berneyarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2019, 15:43   #25
comcor
Really Regular Poster

Location: Cork-Dublin, Cork Commuter and occasionally DART and Dublin-Wexford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie2k9 View Post
Stations with 4+ TMVs when likely in excess of 80% is Leap, Annaul or Free Travel is a poor uss of resources.
I can see the need in stations with significant InterCity service or commuter service beyond the Leap boundaries.

However, aside from Heuston and Connolly, and maybe Pearse and Kent, I'm struggling to think of which ones might require that number.
comcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2019, 20:56   #26
Jamie2k9
Really Really Regluar Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by comcor View Post
I can see the need in stations with significant InterCity service or commuter service beyond the Leap boundaries.

However, aside from Heuston and Connolly, and maybe Pearse and Kent, I'm struggling to think of which ones might require that number.
Indeed and they have even removed surplus TMVs at Heuston (ones at P6-8) All they need to do now is move all ones in the ticket hall to the main concourse. Daily queues yet those in the ticket hall are empty. They are incapable do anything sensible.

Grand Canal Dock does not need 4 TMVs, 2 is more than sufficient however it would be perfectly fine with 1 because even at peak hours only a handful of people use them.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28-03-2019, 21:19   #27
Traincustomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
Just checking that Kilcoole had a leap card reader installed? Might need to use the station in the next while.
No Leap Card reader at Kilcoole unfortunately. Took the train there myself this evening and the booking office clerk at Bray confirmed I couldn't use Leap Card so spent 90c over the odds purchasing a single ticket. This is despite a LeapCard fare being advertised on the IÉ website...

At a glance well into the teens in passenger numbers alighted, perhaps more.

No shelter either.

The station timetable contains the generic line "Passengers must purchase tickets before joining the train." We don't have thousands of stations in this country - is it that difficult to reprint the poster with appropriate info for the ten/fifteen stations in the state without ticket vending facilities?

But this appears to typify the approach of the NTA who have appear to have little interest in lesser used stations/lines.

There is however now an information panel and map adjacent to the station with an overview of the area's history and ideas for walks. Good that the local community clearly recognise the station as a gateway to the area.

Noticing a signpost indicating the Ballydonarea Loop Walk outside the station I undertook this walk to Kilcoole village and had time for a bite to eat before catching an 84. The walk can be accessed by turning left at the top end of the station car park (end away from the level crossing).
Traincustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2019, 23:06   #28
Eddie
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traincustomer View Post
No Leap Card reader at Kilcoole unfortunately. Took the train there myself this evening and the booking office clerk at Bray confirmed I couldn't use Leap Card so spent 90c over the odds purchasing a single ticket. This is despite a LeapCard fare being advertised on the IÉ website...
There are also maps on commuter trains showing Kilcoole as one of 4 stations which represent the limit of the leap card zone.

I suspect advising the NTA that it's impossible to clock in or out at Kilcoole might result in some action.

Alternatively leapcard holders reclaiming the credit from overpayment might result in Irish Rail taking action to install a machine.
Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2019, 17:48   #29
Traincustomer

I notice the Dublin Area Train & Tram Services map dated December 2017 displays the following note alongside Kilcoole:

Quote:
Travel Credit not valid at this stop

Last edited by Traincustomer : 06-05-2019 at 17:49. Reason: typo
Traincustomer is offline   Reply With Quote