Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > General Information & Discussion > Up To Date Travel Information
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 15-02-2009, 17:27   #1
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Default [15-02-2009] Arklow line reopens; Bray-Greystones closed up to Wednesday

http://www.irishrail.ie/news_centre/travel_alerts.asp?action=view&news_id=467
Quote:
Arklow line reopens; Bray-Greystones closed up to Wednesday by Corporate Communications

UPDATE: 14.45hrs, 15th February 2009

Iarnród Éireann advises customers that the line between Greystones and Gorey has reopened, following remedial works to rectify a landslip near Arklow.

However, there remains disruption to Rosslare Intercity, Gorey Commuter and Greystones DART services, due to a rockfall at Bray Head. As a result, the Bray to Greystones line has been closed since Monday 2nd February.

The Bray-Greystones line will remain closed up to and including Wednesday 18th February, and will reopen from the first train service on the morning of Thursday 19th February. The public footpath at Bray Head will remain closed until further notice.

Service arrangements during disruption

DART

Alternative bus services will operate between Bray and Greystones for DART services. All other DART services will operate normally, from Howth/Malahide to Bray.

Gorey Commuter and Rosslare Intercity

Gorey commuter services will also be substituted by bus services from Bray to Gorey. Rosslare Intercity services will be substituted by bus services between Bray and Greystones.

Iarnród Éireann apologises to customers for the inconvenience caused. Full service details will be updated at this website, and journey planner information is available through the timestable search at our homepage www.irishrail.ie
Unread 15-02-2009, 17:58   #2
sublimity
Really Regular Poster

I love the way they have the cheek to say Rosslare 'Intercity'!
It is Commuter at the moment until they put the new 22ks on this line.
sublimity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-02-2009, 17:27   #3
KSW
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublimity View Post
I love the way they have the cheek to say Rosslare 'Intercity'!
It is Commuter at the moment until they put the new 22ks on this line.
I heard on the South Eastern radio station Beat102/103 that the new 22k trains will be operating on the line when it reopens.

Mark Glesson can you conform this or have you heard any thing on this.
KSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-02-2009, 18:16   #4
ThomasJ

Breaking News http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhsnsnmhmhsn/

Quote:
The Dublin to Wexford rail line is to reopen with sleek new trains on Thursday after a two-week disruption due to a rock fall.

Irish Rail confirmed full commuter, intercity and Dart services between Connolly Station and Rosslare will be restored for passengers.

The Greystones to Gorey line was reopened on Sunday and the Bray to Greystones route will be given the green light on Thursday morning.

The first of the new intercity railcar fleet will also be introduced on the east coast beginning with the 6am service from Gorey to Connolly Station.

The carriages are part of a 183-carriage fleet which is costing €400m euro to roll out across the national network.

Irish Rail closed the rail line between Bray and Greystones on February 2 after a rock fall close to the entrance of a tunnel on Bray Head.

Land subsidence later occurred at an embankment south of Arklow on February 4 and rail services were suspended entirely on the line between Bray and Gorey.

Irish Rail has been running bus services for passengers for the past two weeks.

Iarnród Éireann apologised again to customers for the inconvenience caused by these incidents.

The new trains will have more seats and improved accessibility for mobility-impaired customers.

The rolling stock also contain extra safety features and an internal CCTV system for improved security.

“It has been a difficult February so far for all customers on the Gorey and Rosslare services,” said an Irish Rail spokesman.

“However, with the full restoration of services from this Thursday, we are bringing an added bonus with the eagerly awaited introduction of the first of the new Intercity railcars on the route.

“Gorey commuters will be the first to experience the standards of comfort available on this new fleet, which has been hugely popular with customers across our network as it has been rolled out.”
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-02-2009, 23:24   #5
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Well the 6:00 was always meant to have the new trains

And the CCTV is currently 'broken'
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18-02-2009, 11:29   #6
sublimity
Really Regular Poster

So its just the 6.00 Gorey-Dublin and thats it???
Unread 18-02-2009, 11:55   #7
sublimity
Really Regular Poster

Just found out its the 16:40 return aswell.
I don't mean to be flippant but these new Intercity railcars are for Intercity routes, not Commuter routes like Gorey.
Maybe this is only temporary until the new timetable.
Unread 18-02-2009, 12:53   #8
ACustomer
Really Regular Poster

The 22k set that will provide the Gorey service will be on a link which will also involves a Dublin-Sligo-Dublin journey. A degree of mix and match is inevitable if you are to get high utilisation. The set will carry predominantly long-journey passengers, whether they are strictly "InterCity" or not is secondary.
ACustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-02-2009, 09:36   #9
KSW
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
Well the 6:00 was always meant to have the new trains
Quote:
Originally Posted by sublimity View Post
Just found out its the 16:40 return aswell.
I don't mean to be flippant but these new Intercity railcars are for Intercity routes, not Commuter routes like Gorey.

"""The Dublin to Wexford rail line is to reopen with sleek new trains on Thursday after a two-week disruption due to a rock fall.
Irish Rail confirmed full commuter, intercity and Dart services between Connolly Station and Rosslare will be restored for passengers."""

I thought the IE add read sleek new trains and full commuter/Intercity/Dart will be restored to me by reading that that restored is Intercity trains will be restored Dublin Rosslare... I'm not holding my breath with IE as the last time the 16.40 service was meant to be the new 22k trains they never apologized for that announcement. Today is Thursday any news so far trains coming from Rosslare (07.40) etc..
Unread 19-02-2009, 09:40   #10
RadarControl
Regular Poster

I saw a three car set arriving in Tara Street heading Northbound at around 8am this morning. Normally I think it is Commuter train.
RadarControl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-02-2009, 09:40   #11
KSW
Really Regular Poster

New Intercity railcars to begin operation on route from Thursday 19th February
In a further boost, the first of the new Intercity railcar fleet will be introduced on the line from Thursday 19th February, operating the daily 06.00hrs Gorey to Connolly and 16.40hrs Connolly to Gorey services.
This begins the introduction of the new fleet on the line, which will be completed this summer.

NEVER MIND
Unread 19-02-2009, 11:16   #12
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Its only 13 months late...

For the record it arrived Connolly 2 minutes 10 seconds late
Unread 19-02-2009, 17:08   #13
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Well in a stunning display of Irish Rail's uselessness the 16:40 to Gorey is currently running 21 minutes down
Unread 19-02-2009, 18:18   #14
sublimity
Really Regular Poster

you'd think they would get it right on its first day
Unread 19-02-2009, 21:54   #15
KSW
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
Well in a stunning display of Irish Rail's uselessness the 16:40 to Gorey is currently running 21 minutes down
but ironically arrived in Gorey at 18.34 (on time) I have never seen Connolly station so busy in my life as today. The reason why the 16.40 Gorey train was late is because (1) It did intend to operate as normal into platform 5 but then the 6coach 22k train behind it then the Gorey train had to park at the back at Connolly again the Sligo train went into platform 4 then there was a Dart into platform 6 then train from the south then a train came from the Maynooth direction and into Platform 5 then the Gorey train came after the 17.00 which terminated at Connolly then the Gorey arrived at Platform 5. The train left at 17.05 and arrived in Gorey and all stations after Greystones on time so it is very clear that IE have 30 or so minutes of padded time onto the Gorey service. I have to say there were lots of New train fans to Gorey as I seen them coming off the train. The train left Gorey at 19.25 and arrived in Dublin 21.12 I have to say I honestly cant wait for the full introduction of the 22k on this line. Overall a very good train for this line.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 19022009528.jpg (92.0 KB, 343 views)
File Type: jpg 19022009534.jpg (101.4 KB, 333 views)
File Type: jpg 19022009553.jpg (75.5 KB, 311 views)
File Type: jpg 19022009557.jpg (82.3 KB, 318 views)

Last edited by KSW : 22-02-2009 at 12:00.
Unread 20-02-2009, 10:26   #16
sublimity
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSW View Post
The train left Gorey at 19.25 and arrived in Dublin 21.12 I have to say I honestly cant wait for the full introduction of the 22k on this line. Overall a very good train for this line.
I didn't know it operated the 1925 ex Gorey aswell.

By June hopefully all trains to Rosslare will be 22k operated.
Maybe some Gorey commuter trains will be 22k operated aswell like the existing one at the moment
Unread 20-02-2009, 11:16   #17
KSW
Really Regular Poster

How about giving the line a total 22k replacement it has been almost 5 years since the line had commuter rolling stock it would be a sorry from IE

Yes it operates ex Gorey 19.23 aswell.
Unread 20-02-2009, 16:45   #18
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Default Bray to Greystones line now reopened

http://www.irishrail.ie/news_centre/travel_alerts.asp?action=view&news_id=467
Quote:
Bray to Greystones line now reopened by Corporate Communications

Iarnród Éireann has said that following over two weeks of disruption, there is good news on the double for rail customers from Counties Wicklow and Wexford this week.

The Bray to Greystones line has now reopened, and normal Gorey Commuter, Rosslare Intercity, and Greystones DART services have been restored.

The rail line had been closed from Monday 2nd February to Wednesday 18th February between Bray and Greystones due to rockfall close to the entrance of the first tunnel on Bray Head.

Iarnród Éireann apologises to customers for the inconvenience caused by these incidents.

New Intercity railcars to begin operation on route from Thursday 19th February

In a further boost, the first of the new Intercity railcar fleet was introduced on the line from Thursday 19th February, operating the daily 06.00hrs Gorey to Connolly and 16.40hrs Connolly to Gorey services.

This begins the introduction of the new fleet on the line, which will be completed this summer.