Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Sligo
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
Unread 18-02-2009, 21:52   #1
jscales1

Default Sligo trains

Folks i am delighted to report that the trains to and from sligo has never been as busy. In the last month i commuted to Dublin twice and the trains have been full The first day there were only three coaches on the train and i was left to stand i gave my seat to a mother and child today 18/2/09 i travelled to dublin and there were six carriages on the train and it was full when about forty to fifty people boarded at Mullingar. I hope this will be in our favour if the timetable is changed later in the year due to economic downturn.
Unread 19-02-2009, 09:38   #2
sublimity
Really Regular Poster

Your account illustrates that more 6 car trains are needed AND it also deserves a FIRST CLASS/DINING carriage.
Irish Rail should start treating the Sligo line with the same respect as it does with the Westport, Galway and Waterford lines.
It's 2009 not 1999
Unread 19-02-2009, 12:09   #3
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

But adding the first class actually removes 20+ seats. Will people pay to travel first in the current climate?

As of today all Mon-Sat services to Sligo are Intercity Railcars

Being realistic, what is needed is a 21:05 departure from Dublin and a 21:00 from Sligo. The three morning and evening peak services are already 6 coaches
Unread 19-02-2009, 12:29   #4
sublimity
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
But adding the first class actually removes 20+ seats. Will people pay to travel first in the current climate?
I see your point but what about dining? Shouldnt passengers have the option of a meal for that lenght of a journey?
If only dining carriages were ordered separately.
Good thing about the mk3s was that there was a 'Restaurant' carriage without having a first class.
I just think Sligo passengers deserve more than just a trolley service especially for peak journeys
Unread 19-02-2009, 20:14   #5
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

What are the relevant layouts for the "food" carraiges?

Do I have this right:

Mark 2: all gone

Mark 3: Half catering, half dining seats (dine in the dining car or at your own seat)

Mark 4: Half catering, half standard class (dine at your own seat)

22000: Half catering, half first class (dine at your own seat)

Most / all long distance services: trolley.
Unread 19-02-2009, 20:43   #6
jscales1

Quote:

As of today all Mon-Sat services to Sligo are Intercity Railcars

Being realistic, what is needed is a 21:05 departure from Dublin and a 21:00 from Sligo. The three morning and evening peak services are already 6 coaches
Cmon there is no need for a 21:00 service in either direction from the west/north west when cork has only a 21:00 ex dublin. Okay maybe a bus at 21:00 ex dublin to mullingar no sligo the roads are pretty clear at 21:00 IMO
Unread 20-02-2009, 00:16   #7
dowlingm
Really Really Regluar Poster

Quote:
Will people pay to travel first in the current climate?
If subsidised air travel was got rid of, maybe...

A shrewd marketer might look at a 10-journey ticket for First for business people travelling to Dublin once or twice a week say.
Unread 20-02-2009, 09:50   #8
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Well the trains are stuffed during the day, so why not 21:00. The last train west of Maynooth is 19:05 a later service is required
Unread 23-02-2009, 07:11   #9
on the move
Regular Poster

There should be night trains on all major routes. Even if it means less capacity. Almost every country in Europe has a 24h rail service, including the UK.

As is shown by the Luas in Dublin, there is demand for late-night rail services. There is even a nightbus from Sligo to Dublin introduced by CIE this year, so why not a overnighter on the train?
Unread 23-02-2009, 10:53   #10
PLUMB LOCO
Regular Poster

Population!
Unread 23-02-2009, 21:36   #11
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by on the move View Post
There is even a nightbus from Sligo to Dublin introduced by CIE this year, so why not a overnighter on the train?
Its designed for people heading for Dublin Airport (something the train can't do directly) and takes in more than just Sligo. The overhead in running a train (CTC, stations, ticketing) at that hour is much more than the overhead of running a bus.
Unread 23-02-2009, 23:02   #12
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

CTC is staffed 24 hours, well the Sligo line isn't yet but will be soon

All you need is one driver and one ticket checker, its about as cheap as a railway comes

Remember the later train would also generate extra business during the day, as most people are making return journeys. If they can't get back they won't make an outward journey.
Unread 24-02-2009, 10:48   #13
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Remember the later train would also generate extra business during the day, as most people are making return journeys. If they can't get back they won't make an outward journey.
Sure, but:
Ballina dep 01.30 Dublin Airport arr 04.45
Sligo dep 02.00 Dublin Airport arr 05.25

Probably aren't great times for trains.
Unread 24-02-2009, 20:00   #14
on the move
Regular Poster

It doesn't have to stop at every station on the route, just the bigger towns, with maybe 2 carriages on the train. It reduces costs, and provides a service, so it's a win-win situation for everyone. Dublin-Cork should have two overnighters, given the population of both places.

There are overnight services in every country in Europe, except some of the small islands down south, so it should happen here as well.
Unread 24-02-2009, 22:08   #15
sublimity
Really Regular Poster

Can't be 2 carriages. The days of commuter trains going to Sligo are over, thank God.
It would have to be a 3 car 22k.
I'd imagine there'd be enough 22ks to facilitate an overnight service.
As much as I'd like to see it happen I'd have my doubts
Unread 24-02-2009, 22:26   #16
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

I'm talking of a 9pm train here, nothing crazy

While the classic costs issue raises its head, the railway has a massive fixed cost the only way to seriously alter the financial position is to sweat the assets and get value from the investment, more trains more passengers

Rail services are still at a quite low level compared to the UK in particular and it is crazy the last train west of Maynooth is still 19:05
Unread 25-02-2009, 01:45   #17
on the move
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublimity
Can't be 2 carriages. The days of commuter trains going to Sligo are over, thank God.
It would have to be a 3 car 22k.
I'm thinking similiar to the new small trains going from Heuston-Newbridge/Kildare. They would easily cover demand on an overnighter.

We do have a serious problem with single track lines nationwide, which cause unnecessary delay. I've been on trains to/from Sligo, that have sat and waited 15 minutes at stops waiting for incoming trains on the other side of the line. In 2009, a country like Ireland shouldn't be reliant on one line serving vast areas of the country.

You wouldn't have a one-lane motorway, so why should you have a one-lane track?
Unread 25-02-2009, 08:51   #18
comcor
Really Regular Poster

Location: Cork-Dublin, Cork Commuter and occasionally DART and Dublin-Wexford

I can't see the demand for 24H services, even on Dublin-Cork. You might just justify it between Dublin and Port Laoise and between Cork and Mallow and then decide you'll run it through as a through train.

Later departures from Cork and Dublin would be nice though (especially from Cork on a Sunday).

It's probably wise to remember that overnight closures provide a good opportunity for engineering works.
Unread 25-02-2009, 10:58   #19
KSW
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by on the move View Post
I'm thinking similiar to the new small trains going from Heuston-Newbridge/Kildare
Is'nt the Kildare-Hueston train a new 3coach 22k train, Or is it the 29000 train you are talking about ??
Unread 25-02-2009, 11:01   #20
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSW View Post
Is'nt the Kildare-Hueston train a new 3coach 22k train, Or is it the 29000 train you are talking about ??
Don't see how that is relevant

A consistent common fleet is essential, a consistent passenger experience, consistent performance and the ability to move things around if something goes wrong
Closed Thread