Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > General Irish Rail Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 18-08-2012, 17:03   #1
dowlingm
Really Really Regluar Poster

Default The refurb to 22133

So while set 33 was stopped to repair fire damage IE did a refresh to the First car, and apparently this will be done to the other First sets over time. How does it look compared to a "normal" 22K first, and is this closer to being passable for a DD First in the event a set like this is deployed to Enterprise when the DDs finally have to go for refit?
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-08-2012, 09:09   #2
KSW
Really Regular Poster

It looks very nice and I'm sure they will be comfortable. One thing i did notice to give it a completely first class look is to put curtain tie-backs at the windows hide those white walls, the carpet is still blue get rid I say and match those seats.
KSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-08-2012, 09:15   #3
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Total waste of money, its the same physical seat just with leather instead of fabric

Still a long way from the Mk4 first class seat
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20-08-2012, 06:22   #4
James Howard

From the pictures, they look like Taxi vinyl seat covers. I agree with Mark - this is a total waste of money. In my mind, first class on a train implies that you have only three seats across the train instead of 4.

This is just a means of tarting up the existing offering - probably because of complaints from people who were paying a first-class premium and not getting what they had paid for. If they aren't going to properly convert these to first, they should just re-designate the car a quiet car, not allow any child fares in it and charge a fiver extra for entry.
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-08-2012, 12:12   #5
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

waste of money, the main drawback for me of the 22k fleet is the arse numbing seats. i was on the enterprise on saturday, forgot how comfortable they are, great seats, same with 28k seats. when enterprise mid-life refurb happens (if it happens) they better not replace them with rubbish like in the 22k.

covering them with something that looks like a mortuary bag wont help at all.
Unread 27-08-2012, 14:34   #6
dowlingm

Leather isn't necessarily a sign of luxury either - look at how Ryanair chose it for their seats, likely for operational reasons (quicker/easier to clean etc.)

They really should do seat/cabin mockups of some kind and solicit feedback on them from frequent Premier traveller members of their Club BE equivalent... oh wait they don't have one of those
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-08-2012, 14:37   #7
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowlingm View Post
They really should do seat/cabin mockups of some kind and solicit feedback on them from frequent Premier traveller members of their Club BE equivalent... oh wait they don't have one of those
They know who their first class passengers are, plus they know who now goes in steerage class with the rest of us
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28-08-2012, 14:06   #8
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
They know who their first class passengers are, plus they know who now goes in steerage class with the rest of us
there aint many frequent first class pax left on 22ks anyway. i gave up on it very fast.