Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Sligo
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 14-09-2009, 10:59   #1
SardineFrank
New to the board

Default Are they splitting the 19.05 into two 3 car trains??

Currently getting the 19.05 from connolly to mullingar.

Every once in the while they seem to make it a 3-car instead of a 6-car.

Last Friday for the first time in a while I took the 18.05 and it was a 3 car intercity train as opposed to the old 4-car Arrow. Is this normal for the 18.05??

I just have a fear that gonna try turning the 19.05 train into two jam-packed 18.05 and 19.05 trains.....
SardineFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14-09-2009, 11:07   #2
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

I don't imagine that would happen. Especially with a train ten minutes later going out to Longford.
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14-09-2009, 11:08   #3
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Following the collapse of the Malahide viaduct there is a shortage of trains in the right place

I wouldn't call the 19:05 a busy service, it can certainly manage as 3 coaches
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14-09-2009, 11:16   #4
SardineFrank
New to the board

Yes the 19.05 has calmed down a bit, hence the reason I take that. It's stress free, can whip out the ole laptop in comfort etc..

A 3-car 19.05 does result in people standing though. With the colleges back it will be a disaster if they try that on a Friday evening.
Unread 14-09-2009, 12:52   #5
ThomasJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Ralph View Post
I don't imagine that would happen. Especially with a train ten minutes later going out to Longford.
I certainly do not think that train should be running to Longford. (In my opinion ) its not needed (to run west of enfield) the 18:05 connolly longford, with the right resources in place should be able to manage.

If anything, if the original plans are put into play, there would have been a 21:00hrs service to Mullingar calling at all stations.
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14-09-2009, 14:11   #6
SardineFrank
New to the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasJ View Post
I certainly do not think that train should be running to Longford. (In my opinion ) its not needed (to run west of enfield) the 18:05 connolly longford, with the right resources in place should be able to manage.

If anything, if the original plans are put into play, there would have been a 21:00hrs service to Mullingar calling at all stations.
In my exp thus far with irish rail the 18.05 and the 18.17 to Longford are simply the worst trains to get on. With the 18.17 at least around two years ago is actually a case of being a sardine (I haven't taken it since out of fear) - I once counted 4 people standing for every one that was sitting. You are literally in somebody else's face and it's nasty when the train get's stuck on a line.

The ideal situation would be something like this (not sure how practical it would be with available trains & flow on the line etc):

18.10 - Connolly - Longford = 6 car
19.10 - Connolly - Mullingar = 3 car
21.10 - Connolly - Sligo = 3 car?

Either that or just don't have the 18.05 stop at Maynooth (they have the DART after all).