Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > All stops to Thurles
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 18-05-2011, 20:53   #1
obrienalana
New to the board

Default Doors wouldnt open! missed my stop!!

Was on the sallins to hazelhatch train today at 6.15, and wen the train pulled up in celbridge the door wouldnt open! This man and i pressed the button but the doors still didnt open. This was in coach C by the way. Absolutely rediculas, had to get off in adamstown then, and wait 35 mins for the next train BACK to celbridge! >
obrienalana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-05-2011, 08:42   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

In this circumstance you are completely entitled to use the emergency handle/button.

I'm assuming the door button lit up and the normal door unlocked beeps occurred.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-05-2011, 09:37   #3
ThomasJ

this happened before with a maynooth line train, when it arrived at clonsilla the door wouldnt open and people had to get off at leixlip.

As Mark says, pull the emergency handle you are entitled to in those circumstances.

Did you have to catch another train at adamstown? was it a long wait?
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-05-2011, 09:54   #4
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Just to confirm

In these circumstances you will not be fined for activating the emergency equipment. I have that in writing from Irish Rail

On some trains there is a indicator panel at the door which indicates when it is locked out due to a technical failure.

In an real emergency the advice is always to remain onboard the train unless there is a real and imminent risk (generally fire) which mandates evacuation. In that case break the glass panel either above or to the side of the door and pull/rotate the handle push door out and use the hand holds to get a grip so you can slide the door
Unread 19-05-2011, 11:53   #5
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

a firm kick can also work the door, i have given plenty of 22k doors a boot to get them to open
Unread 19-05-2011, 12:03   #6
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Just like the old Mk3 days
Unread 19-05-2011, 15:18   #7
Jamie2k9
Really Really Regluar Poster

Quote:
In this circumstance you are completely entitled to use the emergency handle/button.
Would you not be better pressing the emergency intercom beside the door to the driver before using the emergency handle?
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-05-2011, 15:29   #8
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

They are the same thing

They don't directly stop the train, the driver has to press a button to acknowledge and then stops the train when safe to do so. If the driver doesn't press the button within 10 seconds the train stops.

On the intercity fleets if you activate the emergency button the CCTV screen the driver has switches to the camera above the button.
Unread 19-05-2011, 20:16   #9
TheDarkSide
New to the board

If when pulling away from a station the passenger communication system is activated the driver must stop immediately and deal with the situation before continuing with the journey.

This would be preferable to using the emergency door handle. When you use the handle you now have an unlocked door when presents a serious safety issue i.e falling off the train.
TheDarkSide is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20-05-2011, 19:30   #10
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkSide View Post
This would be preferable to using the emergency door handle. When you use the handle you now have an unlocked door when presents a serious safety issue i.e falling off the train.
The intercom is for when there is something wrong with the safe operation of the train. The emergency door handle is for when someone is going to be injured.
Unread 25-08-2011, 11:15   #11
hoopsheff
Regular Poster

I've seen this happen before. Drivers have not properly opened the doors.

Had this experience myself in HHatch (at about 8.30 at night coming from heuston)- doors wouldnt open...train started departing...luckily i was at the door behind the drivers cabin and could give his door a couple of thumps and shouted to stop and open the doors.
hoopsheff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-08-2011, 11:37   #12
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Again in this case if you are 100% sure the entire train is within the platform you are entitled to press the emergency button

On very very rare occasions there is a need to hold the doors closed to allow for gardai to board, but you would probably be aware of that beforehand

Doors on the ICR can be strange but a bit of shove sometimes might get the door to move