Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 06-08-2009, 08:45   #1
finnyus

Default Day Saver tickets

Hi all,

My mother was going to Limerick today from Cork. She rang IE on Tuesday to get a price for a return ticket to Limerick. She was told that if she travels on Thursday she can avail of the Day Saver to Limerick for 20Euro (or 21Euro - I cannot remember off hand).

She turned up this morning for the 09:30 train (change at Limerick Junction) @ Kent station, only to be told by the young girl at the ticket office that she had to pay the 35Euro fare as the price that was quoted from the telesales was from Limerick only.

Was this complete bullsh*t by the girl, or should my mother have got the later train?

I have often taken the train from Mallow to Waterford (07:52 from Mallow) and been charged the Day/Monthly Saver to Waterford return @ 31Euro.

Finbarr.
finnyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2009, 08:55   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

The 21 euro fare applies only Limerick - Cork return according to the fares manual I have before me and the Irish Rail person should know that

€35 is the standard 5 day return fare, Cork was fully correct in charging that.

A completely different fares matrix applies for any journey on the Limerick Junc to Waterford line

If you think that is strange http://www.railusers.ie/news/news.ph...2008&no=6.html Only 1 of the issues in that report have been resolved so far (Student tickets costing more than adult over short distances)
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2009, 10:00   #3
finnyus

Hi Mark,

thanks for that! There must have been a communication breakdown somewhere. There is a poster at the booking office in Kent (and near the car park) telling about these super fares. I will try to get a photo of it this evening heading home.

Fin.
finnyus is offline   Reply With Quote