Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Sligo
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 09-12-2013, 20:26   #1
James Howard
Really Really Regluar Poster

Default 19:05 persistently delayed every time I take it

Since they changed the 18:05 to commuter cars, I've been forced to adopt a leave late on Monday, early on Tuesday strategy. However, I find that every time I take the 19:05 it is at least 10 minutes late in Edgeworthstown.

We usually spent 15 minutes waiting at Killucan for the 1800 up train despite the run to Mullingar taking only 10 minutes.

Is this just Mondays or does the same happen every day? It is depressing enough to be forced by Irish Rail to get home at 9PM just to get a comfortable trip but it is worse when you are persistently delayed by 10 or 15 minutes.
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2013, 22:39   #2
Inniskeen
Really Regular Poster

I suspect this issue may be due to the 1800 from Sligo being delayed at Longford to facilitate the shunting of the 1715 from Connolly into the former goods yard at Longford for over-night storage. The connections to the yard at the Sligo end of the station may be no longer operational/removed ?
Inniskeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2013, 01:33   #3
Jamie2k9

Quote:
I suspect this issue may be due to the 1800 from Sligo being delayed at Longford to facilitate the shunting of the 1715 from Connolly into the former goods yard at Longford for over-night storage. The connections to the yard at the Sligo end of the station may be no longer operational/removed ?
If this is the cause of the delay, why does the 17.15 need to be shunted, could it not just remain on the platform (assume 2 platforms at Longford), don't think any trains cross there after that, I can't see a reason to move the train.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2013, 07:28   #4
James Howard

There are two platforms at Longford but I don't think that this is the source of the delay as the 1800 is usually at Edgeworthstown by the time the 1805 down train gets there.

I think it is just poor timetable design. The up-train has to cross with the 1805 at Edgeworthstown but the crossing delay is build into the up-train's timetable - it has 19 minutes to get from Longford to Edgeworthstown. So basically is the 1805 runs late at all, that delay gets added to the 1800.

The real problem is that there is 24 minutes between the up-train leaving Mullingar and the down-train doing the same but it is about a 10 minute run which is very tight for Irish Rail to manage.
Unread 10-12-2013, 10:08   #5
berneyarms
Really Regular Poster

James - this is only a recent development.

The 17:15 now has to shunt into the Longford/Edgeworthstown section before entering the yard, hence the 18:00 is now delayed in Longford until that is completed. In theory it should then reach Edgeworthstown to cross with the 18:05 on time. However, the shunt may be taking slightly longer than they reckoned, and as a result there are knock-on delays to both the 18:05 and 19:05.

As to the question why the 17:15 has to be shunted into the yard, well the 19:05 passes the 18:05 at Longford - so it would be a bit difficult to do that with the 17:15 still in the platform.
berneyarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2013, 12:04   #6
Inniskeen
Really Regular Poster

Berneyarms - am I correct then in assumming that sets cannot enter/exit the yard at Longford from the Sligo end ?
Inniskeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2013, 12:14   #7
berneyarms
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inniskeen View Post
Berneyarms - am I correct then in assumming that sets cannot enter/exit the yard at Longford from the Sligo end ?
It would appear so Inniskeen!
Unread 10-12-2013, 13:39   #8
James Howard

I saw the 1805 shunt in from the Sligo end back in August, but perhaps something has broken since then.
Unread 10-12-2013, 13:42   #9
berneyarms
Really Regular Poster

Then I'm not sure - either way something is holding the 18:00 up!!
Unread 10-12-2013, 17:40   #10
joey
Regular Poster

The 1800 ex Sligo passes the 1805 ex Connolly at edgeworthstown

The 1805 ex Dublin landing in Longford should have no bearing on the 1905 ex Dublin to Sligo.

The 1800 ex Sligo always passes the 1905 ex Dublin at Kilucan. The timetable is too wide open. It could be shortened, all Sligo departures should be leaving Connolly at 15 mins past the hour, I've often sat for ten mins at Liffey junction and still end up in maynooth on schedule. Connolly maynooth should never take best part of 35 mins... And if a train is going to sit on the loop at Kilucan waiting for the up or down train passing through the departure from origin should be deferred.

15 mins could easily be shaved off the Sligo journey
joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2013, 18:41   #11
James Howard

I've been on a delayed train that did Connolly to Maynooth in 17 minutes. There are other huge pads in the timetable such as Longford to Edgeworthstown given 19 minutes for something like 12 km.

But before they start shortening the timetabled times, it would do them more good to keep to the timetable they have. As far as I can see, the only evening train going to Longford that is ever less than 5 minutes late at Edgeworthstown is the 1805. As I speak I am on the 1705 with 12km to go to Edgeworthstown and it is 5 minutes past the arrival time.

The 1805 is pretty punctual but that is because it has nothing to cross with.

The reason for the delay of the 1905 as far as I can see is the fact that the only part of the timetable with no slack for the 1800 from Sligo is the bit immediately before the crossing - i.e. 12 minutes to get from Mullingar to Killucan is only just possible.
Unread 10-12-2013, 21:42   #12
joey
Regular Poster

The 1800 ex Sligo needs to leave at 1745
Unread 10-12-2013, 22:50   #13
berneyarms
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by joey View Post
The 1800 ex Sligo needs to leave at 1745
Em that might be a tad tricky, as if it did, it and the 1505 ex-Connolly would crash into one another between Sligo and Collooney. They pass at Sligo loop.

While I don't disagree about the time taken between Connolly and Maynooth, the extra time built into the stops at Edgeworthstown and Boyle are essential to maintain the smooth running of the single line.

If you don't build recovery time into the timetable on a route like that you would end up with total chaos for the rest of the day if something goes wrong earlier.

Bear in mind that most trains cross with three other trains en route at Maynooth, Edgeworthstown and Boyle.
Unread 11-12-2013, 06:50   #14
joey
Regular Poster

If the loop in ballymote was reinstated this would help too
Unread 11-12-2013, 09:48   #15
James Howard

Not to mention that they have a loop in Enfield with a derelict platform so they can't use it to cross delayed trains as they can't get passengers on or off one of the trains.

So basically there is no crossing between Killucan and Maynooth which is more than 40km unless they timetable one of the trains not to stop at Enfield.

They are basically putting too much traffic down a single line for their level of operational competence. The 0545 has been 10 minutes late at Edgeworthstown twice in the last week and it has nothing to cross with it nor any constraints except for a train running 45 minutes ahead of it.
Unread 11-12-2013, 13:18   #16
joey
Regular Poster

Default Enfield station

Was there not a planning application for the derilict platform to be re-opened?
Lifts etc

They need not reopen Kilucan station either
Unread 11-12-2013, 13:20   #17
joey
Regular Poster

There is a passing point also in Mullingar