Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Sligo
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 16-01-2014, 20:28   #121
James Howard
Really Really Regluar Poster

I was on the 1805 this evening and it is quite alarming seeing how the loadings have dropped past Mullingar (which is about the same journey time as Dundalk). 8 people got off in Edgeworthstown tonight. Before all this messing started there would have been 25-30 people getting off this train in Edgeworthstown.

There were about 10 cars left in the station car-park - this would normally have been about 30. Probably 5 cars get left overnight on a typical Thursday. I generally get the intercity in the morning which is the last viable commuter train and this morning, the car-park had about 20 cars - if even that. A single commuter giving up from Edgeworthstown costs Irish Rail 4 grand. I would think that about 3 commuters would result in any savings being wiped out.

This will hopefully be my last journey on the 1805 so you can all stop reading my moaning about it.
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-01-2014, 20:37   #122
berneyarms
Really Regular Poster

I do understand your frustration James, don't get me wrong, but I do think that people are complaining in the wrong way.

You all need to start asking government TDs why they voted in favour of cutting the CIE Group PSO Subsidy. That is what is forcing the companies to make these changes, because they can't afford to keep operating all of the sets in the old configurations.

Until people start making politicians uncomfortable, there's not much that is going to change.
berneyarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-01-2014, 23:30   #123
Inniskeen
Really Regular Poster

A few comments about the 29Ks,

They are generally very reliable

They are good performers in terms of acceleration and braking.

They have a crush load carrying capacity similar to a DART.

On the down side they are noisy, drafty, have cramped seating, virtually no luggage space and afford little opportunity for passengers to work as they travel.

The 29Ks are ideally suited for short distance, short duration services with frequent stops and heavy loadings. However, Irish Rail services (with the exception of services out of Heuston) hold little attraction for longer distance commuters given the miserably slow nature of much of the service, indifferent reliability (particularly evening services on the northern line) and the predominance of low amenity rolling stock.
Inniskeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-01-2014, 07:53   #124
DundalkStudent
New to the board

Default Nobody likes the 29ks

Quote:
Originally Posted by berneyarms View Post
Whether you choose to spend the extra 20 mins on the train is up to you - I was comparing the travel times.

Anyone travelling from Dundalk to Pearse is spending at least 1 hour 30 + each way on 29k sets, which does compare with Edgeworthstown.

I'm merely observing that I've not noticed any of them complaining about the 29k sets here or elsewhere.
Guys, I don't want to speak for all Dundalk commuters but no body likes the 29ks. Although I rarely have to stand on rush hour commutes, I'm lucky as the intercities to Dublin tend to originate in Dundalk. Going from Pearse of an evening pretty much every seat is taken at Pearse so anyone joining Tara st. Or Connolly is standing. Busy Enterprises from Belfast can result in standing from Dundalk. The 22k at 7am tends to be busier than others in the morning, but no standing really until balbriggan+.

I think the difference you need to take into account Dublin/Longford vs. Dublin/Dundalk is not just train duration but other transport options: really good M1 and well provided for bus route both public and private. It would take less time to drive to dublin, can the same be said for Longford? As such, not massive numbers commute by rail from/to Dundalk. Somewhat bigger numbers to/from drogheda but the biggest numbers start and end at balbriggan, most likely due to price bracket changes (balbriggan is dublin commuter rate). Even I'm thinking of driving down to drogheda in the future and getting the train from there (more trains, lower fare, etc.). All of the above resulting in the probable reason you're not hearing feedback from Dundalk rail commuters: there aren't that many of us.
DundalkStudent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-01-2014, 08:32   #125
James Howard

For working office hours in the City Centre, the train used to be the best option by far. The motorway runs out at Kinnegad so the journey time by car to the city is approximately the same but the cost is prohibitive unless you can share it among 3 or 4 people even if you have free parking.

There are several things that could be done that would cost little or no money. The most obvious is that the 1715 could be eliminated past Maynooth - it is very little use to anybody. This would cause difficulties in getting a train down for one of the early services but this could be done by running the 1805 back up in two halves. The main drawback of this would be the need to make the early morning services limited stops after Maynooth so you would need to run stopping trains behind these two services or strengthen any 4-car 29k services running around the same time.

What's there now isn't really working as the services I use have now become very lightly loaded. Friday mornings are quiet anyway, but I am currently sitting on the 0545 Sligo train and my car has less than 30 people in it after Maynooth. This has an extra car (7 instead of 6) over the pre-change setup, but it would have had every seat full after Maynooth before the changes. I've had to share a 4-seat bay once before Maynooth this week.

The stated aim of this review is to save about 3 million a year, or approximately 2% of Irish Rail's budget. This is all well and fine and is all the politicians' fault but the fact is that this review has been counter-productive as it has driven paying passenger traffic down by massively more than 2%. My real concern is that with the damage they have done to the passenger levels, they are going to use this to further cut back services on the next timetable review.
Unread 17-01-2014, 08:43   #126
James Howard

Quote:
You all need to start asking government TDs why they voted in favour of cutting the CIE Group PSO Subsidy. That is what is forcing the companies to make these changes, because they can't afford to keep operating all of the sets in the old configurations.
There is no great mystery. One of our local government TDs voted against the closure of Mullingar barracks and lost the whip and a junior minstry as a result. Those that remain need to bide their time in case moves are made to downgrade Mullingar hospital or other critical infrastructure.

Several of us have made our TDs aware of the issue but I wouldn't expect any great changes. The fact is that for at least the next year, Irish Rail need to find ways to better use the resources they have. While they have made good progress over the last few years, one can see a hell of a lot of ways in which things could be improved.

Also, bear in mind that Irish Rail have just had close to a 10% increase in fares from long-haul commuters this year.
Unread 17-01-2014, 14:35   #127
AD11
New to the board

My concern is we are paying way more and getting way less while being additionally punished with extreme discomfort while doing so. When I was sure of a comfie seat to Mullingar on the 22k I wasnt on here, boards, facebook, twitter and emailing Irish Rail with complaints.

The money they will lose in dealing with additional complaints and driving passengers away will probably counteract the savings from the ill thought out cost cutting measure in any event.

I am seriously considering switching to the bus but I have no idea if thats any better or not. Unfortunately I dont have the option of working from home or alternating between the 17.05 / 19.05 which isnt ideal anyway as James points out.
Unread 17-01-2014, 17:20   #128
James Howard

Here is an interesting little tidbit from the Rail Fares determination for this year that I cannot find any reference to anywhere else apart from a post on boards.ie. I'm not sure if the lack of info on the taxsaver site is just because they haven't gotten around to it or because they would like the trial to fail.

Personally, I would jump at the chance to add bus access to my annual pass for 200 euro (what it would be Edgeworthstown on a pro-rata basis). The last bus is at 11PM so I would be able to go out for a few pints after work.

Quote:
Integrated Bus Éireann and Iarnród Éireann ticket:
The Authority has decided to introduce an integrated Bus Éireann / Iarnród Éireann ticket on a pilot basis in 2014. These tickets can be introduced where there is both a Bus Éireann service and an Iarnród Éireann service serving the same locations. The integrated tickets will be rolled out on the Dublin / Kilcock, Dublin / Enfield and Dublin / Mullingar routes in 2014 with a view to extending the number of locations subject to its successful operation on these routes.
The taxsaver price will be €3,307.50 as opposed to €3,150 for train only. So if you have taxsaver and are paying the top-rate it will cost about €70 out of pocket.

Prices are on Page 21.
http://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-c...ation-No-1.pdf
Unread 17-01-2014, 18:24   #129
berneyarms
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Howard View Post
Here is an interesting little tidbit from the Rail Fares determination for this year that I cannot find any reference to anywhere else apart from a post on boards.ie. I'm not sure if the lack of info on the taxsaver site is just because they haven't gotten around to it or because they would like the trial to fail.

Personally, I would jump at the chance to add bus access to my annual pass for 200 euro (what it would be Edgeworthstown on a pro-rata basis). The last bus is at 11PM so I would be able to go out for a few pints after work.

The taxsaver price will be €3,307.50 as opposed to €3,150 for train only. So if you have taxsaver and are paying the top-rate it will cost about €70 out of pocket.

Prices are on Page 21.
http://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-c...ation-No-1.pdf
These are I suspect valid only on the 115 service which is PSO funded rather than on the Expressway services routes 22 or 23.

Edgeworthstown doesn't have a PSO bus service to Dublin, only the Athlone/Monaghan service.

Last edited by berneyarms : 17-01-2014 at 18:31.
Unread 17-01-2014, 19:00   #130
James Howard

And this is reason for not having it?

Meanwhile in the real world, people can't take jobs in Dublin because the rail service isn't flexible enough and they can't afford 6 grand or whatever an all services pass costs.
Unread 17-01-2014, 21:16   #131
berneyarms
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Howard View Post
And this is reason for not having it?

Meanwhile in the real world, people can't take jobs in Dublin because the rail service isn't flexible enough and they can't afford 6 grand or whatever an all services pass costs.
No - I'm just pointing out that I suspect it's restricted to the PSO services - that's all, which wouldn't really help you as you're in Edgworthstown.
Unread 21-09-2014, 17:42   #132
joey
Regular Poster

Default 1800 ex Sligo 21st Sept

Four carriages, full train little to no seats after ballymote. Full of students going back to Dublin. Why isn't it a five or six carriage set, be standing room only come carrick

whatever the delay is too... 1825 before departing colooney, 15mins late. Hope it makes the time back as I have to make a connection to a commuter in maynooth

Last edited by joey : 21-09-2014 at 18:06.
joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21-09-2014, 19:27   #133
Jamie2k9

I got a 5 coach on 18.05 ex Waterford and standing room only leaving Kilkenny, way worse than last week. Not even sure a 6 coach would do but it would be a a major help.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21-09-2014, 19:33   #134
joey
Regular Poster

standing room only on this now from mullingar
making a miraclous recovery after leaving collooney 20 mins late.
Unread 21-09-2014, 20:00   #135
joey
Regular Poster

just made the commuter in maynooth. they want to up the ante in carriages
Unread 21-09-2014, 21:34   #136
berneyarms
Really Regular Poster

I suspect that the fact that the All-Ireland football final was on this afternoon may have disrupted people's travel patterns, with people who would (for example) travel on the 16:30 from Sligo deferring until the 18:00 so that they could watch the match to the conclusion.

If I recall correctly, something similar happened last Spring on the Sunday afternoon when Ireland played a six-nations match.
Unread 22-09-2014, 01:36   #137
Jamie2k9

Quote:
I suspect that the fact that the All-Ireland football final was on this afternoon may have disrupted people's travel patterns, with people who would (for example) travel on the 16:30 from Sligo deferring until the 18:00 so that they could watch the match to the conclusion.

If I recall correctly, something similar happened last Spring on the Sunday afternoon when Ireland played a six-nations match.
I suspect that Sligo followed by Waterford continue to draw the short straws. Irish Rail would have load data from last Sunday and I expect the services had people standing (Waterford did) combined that this week is the really the first week all colleges are back. The match would of had minimal effect.

This is just IE carrying on with the usual BS week after week. What they will probably do like last year is wait until numbers are driven down to the sets capacity and say no more about the real problem. Im sure those 22 running to/from Cork had a the right capacity in place.

Now nobody use the excuse of the few All Ireland Specials as regular service should be protected as a once off specials don't cover the other 362 days revenue from regular passengers. Im sure those lovely Marl IV had a very relaxed weekend instead of covering for any possible weekend 22 changes to accommodate the specials!

Time for the NTA to step up and cut route subsidy if IE wont provide an adequate service instead giving IE everything 99% of the time.

Last edited by Jamie2k9 : 22-09-2014 at 02:05.
Unread 22-09-2014, 18:20   #138
joey
Regular Poster

It was pretty much crammed with students. Standing room only from Longford through to maynooth when I got off.
I suspect IE do not take a look at the load patterns or bookings. They should know well what kind of loadings on a particular route. No way is there a sudden increase in demand within 24-48hours.

I also suspect there was plenty of seating available for the special back to Tralee tonight!!

IE no interest in the rest of the other Joe Soaps travelling throughout the year.
Unread 26-09-2014, 23:49   #139
Jamie2k9

Fourth Mark IV back in full service from Sunday. Perhaps last weekend was costly on giving out refunds surly it couldn't be for passenger comfort!

09.20, 16.20 Cork-Dublin (Mon-Sat), 12.20, 19.20 (Sun)
13.00, 21.00 Dublin-Cork (Mon-Sat), 16.00, 21.00 (Sun)

At busy times on Friday/Sunday it means that 2 (4 coach), 1 (3 coach) sets are available.
Unread 27-09-2014, 07:48   #140
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

As of Monday

1 Extra Mk4 set in full-time service
1 Extra 3 car ICR

Soon
1 3 car ICR will become 4 cars
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote