Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Sligo
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 30-12-2007, 16:22   #101
sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithStephen View Post
Can anyone tell me what way will the new 22000 train be operating on Monday, Will it be the 11:05 Dublin/Sligo. Thanks Alot.
It should.
sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 31-12-2007, 22:13   #102
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Shields View Post
And if there's someone there in Dublin or Sligo, will there be someone in a one horse station half way down the line?

In my opinion, the train manager should be visible while the train is in a staion and for at least 10-15 mins afterwards. It's problematic when a pair of 3-car sets are joined, but the train manager should be visible in one half, and swap halves at every station.
Question: How many staff can a 3-car set justify?
Colm Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-01-2008, 00:24   #103
KSW
Really Regular Poster

Happy

New

Year RUI/EVERYONE
KSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2008, 11:19   #104
Pierce
New to the board

Quote:
Can anyone tell me what way will the new 22000 train be operating on Monday, Will it be the 11:05 Dublin/Sligo. Thanks Alot.
Its not the new train maybe its to late your already on the train
Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2008, 13:58   #105
KSW
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce View Post
Its not the new train maybe its to late your already on the train
I know it passed my train at Maynooth, Mark I'm going to kill you !! .... I will meet the train at Maynooth again at 14.26 my train is running 10mins late so i should have a good glance at it. . . . . . .

I was just thinking to myself that the Rosslare line is lucky to have a 6car train which by the way I am beginning to To like the 2800 trains. The train was full when it came to Gorey. The Sligo train here is full to the max and there is people still boarding at Mullingar.
Unread 02-01-2008, 14:06   #106
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

I said it should run the 11:05, not that it would

It ran the 8:55 Sligo Dublin this morning, if it had run the 6:55 it would have been on the 11:05

Should as a result work the 17:05 back this evening
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-01-2008, 20:04   #107
KSW
Really Regular Poster

I seen the 22006/2 when waiting for the Enniscorthy train to Gorey and I have to say seeing it close up it really does look something else. The inside looks really impressive, The drivers cab looks the best.

Your fine Mark, I'II go again in January when they all enter service. All I can say is the lucky driver . . . . . . . .
Unread 02-01-2008, 22:41   #108
Mark Hennessy
Membership Officer

Quote:

Your fine Mark, I'II go again in January when they all enter service. All I can say is the lucky driver . . . . . . . .
From a passengers perspective, we really don't care what is in the front of the train, so long as it shows up on time and gives a comfortable passenger experience and arrives on time.

Sadly with Irish Rail, these mundane things like punctuality and customer experience are often missing.
Mark Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2008, 00:41   #109
davekoolhill
New to the board

Default New intercity railcars

iv not actually been lucky enough to have traveled on the new trains yet but im just curious regarding 6-car and 3-car sets. If they are Intercity trains should they not all be in 6-car sets? Do you know if there is a buffet/snack car on board like on most other intercity services? Will there be a first class carriage? Are these new trains really Intercity's or just upgraded and better commuter services?

Kind regards,
Dave
davekoolhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2008, 02:28   #110
sean

There will be some 3 car sets and some 6 car sets.

Most lines will get at least one full 6 car set, this will have 1st plus dining car.

In some cases, 3 car sets will be paired up to provide 6 coaches, and on the network ex-Heuston some trains will be made of 6+3.
Unread 03-01-2008, 10:41   #111
KSW
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by davekoolhill View Post
If they are Intercity trains should they not all be in 6-car sets?
Do you know if there is a buffet/snack car on board like on most other intercity services?
Will there be a first class carriage?
Are these new trains really Intercity's or just upgraded and better commuter services
Hey Dave,
Your like myself, I seen the new InterCity's yesterday at Connolly working the 17:05 Sligo and I have to say they are very impressive way better than the pictures. The inside is lovely, When you see the train you'll understand.

There is no Buffet/Snack car on any of the 3 car sets but Mark G mentioned there will be a trolley service (Example) Connolly-Longford the trolley will be in the first 3 sets then at Longford change to the other 3sets.

The internal engines are brillant they can gain speed quickly and they are not as noisy as the 29000/2800's Commuter trains. I can honestly say the new trains do have that InterCity feeling to them.
You will like them no doubt....... KSW

Last edited by KSW : 03-01-2008 at 10:43.
Unread 04-01-2008, 00:32   #112
davekoolhill
New to the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean View Post
There will be some 3 car sets and some 6 car sets.

Most lines will get at least one full 6 car set, this will have 1st plus dining car.

In some cases, 3 car sets will be paired up to provide 6 coaches, and on the network ex-Heuston some trains will be made of 6+3.
do you think that the sligo route will have the 1st plus dining car? Has the sligo train ever have a first class and dining car on the old mk3's?
davekoolhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2008, 00:48   #113
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Sligo line will have one single 6 car fixed set which will have full kitchen and first class, we assume this will run the Sligo Dublin morning service and the evening return. We where told this over two years ago by a very high up manager in IE and have it in writing from the CEO in committing the use of the IC railcars to Sligo long from the original batch of 120

Sligo probably hasn't seen first class on any service since when 3rd class was abolished and made second
Unread 04-01-2008, 01:04   #114
sean

There was a 1st class service to Sligo about 16-odd years ago with the Mk2ds, coach had kind of pinkish purple carpeting on the floor and it might have had 2+1 seating, a beigy-burgundy colour, they were described by staff at the time as being second hand airplane seats. Fare was the standard-class fare +£5 each person each way. Never used it but I walked through the carraiges a couple of times, and they seemed smother than the standards.

I will most certainly welcome the 6 coach set to Sligo, but I fear our allocation will be poached by the need to prop up the mess on the premier lines. The very interesting business alluded to in the members section just doesn't seem to add up, but then again, this is Irish Rail so logic doesn't always play a part

Last edited by Thomas J Stamp : 04-01-2008 at 11:49. Reason: join the members section to find out!!!!
Unread 04-01-2008, 08:50   #115
turnapin

Was on the 8:55 from Sligo yesterday morning, operated by the new train. Six coaches, very few seats by Edgeworthstown and none after Mullingar.

A huge improvement in comfort and ride an a world away from the freezing 29000 last night.
turnapin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2008, 09:20   #116
richards
New to the board

Default capicity of new 22k rail cars

I think that IE ordered too many 3 car sets and too few 6 car sets.

I know the idea was to run shorter more frequent trains, however the very attraction of traveling by train is comfort and the ability to visit the buffet car. If I am traveling from Dublin to Sligo, and I want a cup of tea (expensive as that might be), I could end up waiting for a trolley to come to my seat and the train might be beyond Longford.

I suspect that many trains will end up as 2x3 car sets.
richards is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2008, 09:35   #117
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Can a 3-car set be expand to a 4-/5-/6-car set eventually?
Colm Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2008, 11:50   #118
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor View Post
Can a 3-car set be expand to a 4-/5-/6-car set eventually?
not as easily as sticking two three car sets end to end
Unread 04-01-2008, 11:54   #119
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Extra coaches can be added to the 3 car sets if required

Note 3 + 6 = full length of the standard platform length at intercity stations served from Heuston

Off peak there is no shortage of seats off peak
Unread 10-01-2008, 22:06   #120
KSW
Really Regular Poster

I see that the 17:05 Dublin/Sligo was 22006/02
and the 19:05 Dublin/Sligo was 22003/04. for yesterdays(9th) Now the roll-out begins .........