Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Luas Customer Service Issues > Luas Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 21-10-2008, 21:28   #1
Mark Hennessy
Membership Officer

Default [21-10-08] Green Line Disruption

There was an incident at Harcourt St today around 5:30pm.

No idea what, we told trams were delayed when we boarded in Sandyford but we were all turfed out at Beechwood.

Anyone know what happened?
Mark Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21-10-2008, 21:40   #2
markpb

There was a fire in one of the buildings near the Harcourt St stop which caused a bit of a delay around 5pm. Shortly after, a car coming out of Clonmel St onto Harcourt st, struck an outbound tram, ripping the front 'bumper' off the tram and doing consideable bodywork damage to the car.

Pretty poor form from Veiola - when I got to Sandyford there were no announcements and the platform displays were still normal but it was obvious something as wrong. It was only when a tram arrived that we found out it was shorting. There were no staff at Beechwood to tell people where to get a bus so we all walked down thetracks. To be fair, there were staff at Harcourt and SSG to direct people.
markpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21-10-2008, 21:48   #3
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

This walk down the tracks business keeps happening, sure its the fastest way there but hardly safe

Bad form on Veoila, should take them no longer than 15 minutes to get someone to Beechwood, faster if they have a team already out on the ground somewhere

On the other hand they do try, you don't see Irish Rail staff on site directing you when the DART decides to pull a sickie somewhere.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21-10-2008, 21:56   #4
Mark Hennessy
Membership Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpb View Post
There was a fire in one of the buildings near the Harcourt St stop which caused a bit of a delay around 5pm. Shortly after, a car coming out of Clonmel St onto Harcourt st, struck an outbound tram, ripping the front 'bumper' off the tram and doing consideable bodywork damage to the car.

Pretty poor form from Veiola - when I got to Sandyford there were no announcements and the platform displays were still normal but it was obvious something as wrong. It was only when a tram arrived that we found out it was shorting. There were no staff at Beechwood to tell people where to get a bus so we all walked down thetracks. To be fair, there were staff at Harcourt and SSG to direct people.
Thanks Mark.

The only indication that anything was amiss in Sandyford was the large number of people waiting for a tram. There was an announcement about delays but nothing about terminating in Beechwood.

I didn't follow other down the track but I did a legger from there to Pearse in a hectic 25 mins.
Mark Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22-10-2008, 10:20   #5
Donal Quinn

i caught a city-bound tram at milltown yesterday evening. maybe i had just missed an announcement but there was none made on the tram. at cowper i was standing beside the open door and heard the station announcement about it terminating at beechwood. anyone further from the door couldn't hear that as evidenced by the surprise when we pulled in to Beechwood to hear "Beechwood, last stop". that was at 18:30 and there were some Veoilia staff there directing people to ranelagh. knowing how crap the no.11 bus there is I took my chances with rathmines. of course by the time my no.15 crossed the tracks at harcourt st there were the trams running quite smoothly!!

there were hundreds of people walking the tracks at beechwood. really surprised to see that -it was dusk and people were already stumbling on the rails. if it was a bit darker it would have been really dangerous. also would love to know what procedures they followed to ensure the track was clear when service resumed shortly afterwards...
Unread 22-10-2008, 14:37   #6
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Clonmel Street: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attac...8&d=1224609624

They should operate the trams singly to Ranelagh to stop the walking on tracks lark.