Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > Longford-Maynooth-Dunboyne-Clonsilla-Dublin line
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 22-01-2008, 12:17   #21
ThomasJ

Quote:
The Barry Kenny reality distortion field is in full spin today
Is he on any radio programmes this evening. I would like to send a text or two in.
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22-01-2008, 13:16   #22
Navan Junction
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasJ View Post
[a question for Navan Junction, should navan bus eireann buses stop at the station? would it benefit passengers?]
Not really, maybe for some after the M50 junction upgrade. At the moment, getting down the N3 past the M50 is the worst part of it, and once you have that done there wouldn't be much point to changing transport modes

Plus Pace would be more suitable for that in a couple of years as the train really wins where it can skip over the M50 gridlock

I'd say most bus commuters would prefer to be going through the Phoenix Park anyhow rather than continuing down the N3
Navan Junction is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22-01-2008, 18:53   #23
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Bus Éireann using it might make sense for passengers travelling beyond the city centre, but only if the Commuter train is going that far.
Colm Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22-01-2008, 20:49   #24
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

This must be one hell of a staion. Or is it simply just another identikit concrete job in surburbia? The problem is that we set our sights way too low and when we are presented with something that actually functions, if only merely adequatly, we tend to get orgasmic.

It's only a station lads, cop on.

Big question is would IE have ever thought of doing this if left to their own account? Would they feck.
Unread 22-01-2008, 21:09   #25
Derek Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas J Stamp View Post
This must be one hell of a staion. Or is it simply just another identikit concrete job in surburbia? The problem is that we set our sights way too low and when we are presented with something that actually functions, if only merely adequatly, we tend to get orgasmic.

It's only a station lads, cop on.

Big question is would IE have ever thought of doing this if left to their own account? Would they feck.
Not a friggin hope. It was paid for by the developer as a planning stipulation and without any regard to the greater network. If IE had of refused the offer then no doubt some poor sod in Amiens street would be on a similar holiday to the one that Tom Finn is taking.

And yes its just a station. A bit like Adamstown. All fancy and trendy, while the other stations on the line are throwbacks to a much less affluent era. The same thing is happening on the Kildare line. KRP will deliver state of the art stations while Sallins, Newbridge and Kildare will remain as museums from slightly different periods.

Planning stipulations only work when Government investment on the same line is rolled out in tandem. Otherwise its a compromise. Its so sad that we look to Adamstown and this station as "temples" of how it should be. With the property slow down they may resemble actual temples in Nepal.
Derek Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-01-2008, 15:28   #26
Mark

Any pics of the new station? I noticed from the M50 the other day that the Park West station is nearing completion and is of the same design as Adamstown.

I still think the name of the Phoenix Park station is misleading given its location and should be called Navan Road or something else but seeing as I dont use the station nor the line that's neither here nor there.

http://www.phoenixparkracecourse.com...rialDublin.jpg

Last edited by Mark : 25-01-2008 at 15:55.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26-01-2008, 00:41   #27
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
Any pics of the new station?
Pictures for Members Section only. Why you would want a picture is between you and your therapist.
Unread 26-01-2008, 13:15   #28
gng
New to the board

Default Passenger Information Displays @ Phoenix Park

The usual problem - all displays are obscured by other fixtures on the platform, in this case the frames of the fancy new large shelters. Only clearly visible over about 10% of the length of the platform.

Clocks are all 1 minute slow. Some of the train drivers are waitng on these clocks resulting in delays on the route. Docklands train at 8:34 has missed it's slot at Glasnevin junction 3 or 4 times this week and has been 5 or 6 minutes late at Docklands each time.

The train information on the displays has not been updating most days. It still shows the 6:42 to Connolly as the next train even at 8:34.

Car Park is 'pay per bay' - not sure if it's being implemented yet, but there are signs all over the place threatening car owners.

One temporary issue...
The bridge over N3 outside the station is not yet open so cars or pedestrians can not access outbound side of N3. Cars leaving the car park must go back 1Km towards the city to Ashtown roundabout (at evening rush hour this is usually standing traffic). Passengers leaving the station on foot must walk almost 1Km in either direction to cross the road.
gng is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26-01-2008, 13:32   #29
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

The information displays won't work, they might work inbound but outbound they won't work with any level of accuracy, reason is complex but they just don't have access to the information to generate the data

Irish Rail are notorious for clocks being wrong, one of the clocks in Docklands was out by over a minute compared to the one alongside

Car park and bridge are nothing to do with Irish Rail and are the developers problem
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26-01-2008, 13:39   #30
philip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Wheeler View Post
Get a 39 bus or a train up if you really feel that kind of urge. Its just a station.

Personally, if I see a photo of it here, I'll post real ****.
<philip boards 39 bus or train>
philip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26-01-2008, 13:47   #31
gng
New to the board

There is no point in Irish Rail putting up information displays if they don't work. This is just plain misleading. But then again this is par for the course with them. It's not good enough to say 'oh they don't have access to the relevant information to update them'.

And in case you hadn't noticed, this is not an Irish Rail forum, it's for Rail Users and if there are problems accessing a railway station to use the service, e.g. bridge/car park/footpaths then it's an issue for discussion on this site.
gng is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26-01-2008, 15:15   #32
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Problem is the station is owned by Irish Rail (they didn't pay for it) none of the access roads, bridges and the car park are owned by them, its the developer of the Racecourse site who owns the whole show and is responsible for them.

If you are a resident of the development, you can take it up with the management company, we can't since we aren't residents

We can complain to IE all we want but its pointless since there is nothing they can do. You can't complain to the council about a pot hole in a private estate, its the same problem

As we have pointed out the passenger information displays are likely to be unreliable or incorrect. We have discussed the issue with IE management in the recent past and it won't be till the city centre resignalling project which is 2010 at the earliest.
Unread 26-01-2008, 15:53   #33
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Quote:
Originally Posted by gng View Post
And in case you hadn't noticed, this is not an Irish Rail forum, it's for Rail Users and if there are problems accessing a railway station to use the service, e.g. bridge/car park/footpaths then it's an issue for discussion on this site.
Welcome to the board gng. A few pointers to start with. Firstly, please do not tell the committee members who have been doing this gig virtually 24 hours a day for the past number of years what is or isnt and issue for discussion on this site. Secondly, and I know that MarkG can be easily mistaken sometimes but even I dont see him taking your post to task. He is simply providing you with information, he isnt disagreeing with you, he isnt saying that the station deficiencies you have pointed out do not exist nor he is he saying that they are excusable in anyway.

I for one am not surprised that in this day and age IE, in conjunction with the builders, have made a dogs bollocks of this fairly simple station. With things like these still happening its comforting to know that RUI has a healthy future ahead of us.

Thirdly, and I really mean this, we have an announcement on infrastructal threads/posts, please read it. As you are new, you will not be aware of the fact that a survey revealed that such things, like photos of trains and stations, tend to give the impression that RUI is a bunch of trainspotters and that image is one we really would like to shake. Thats why there is a memers section for that sort of thing simply because so the casual visitor wont be overwhelmed by terms like 22K, notch 1, DMU, EMU, 201 class, DD, and photos.
Unread 26-01-2008, 17:26   #34
Colm R
Regular Poster

Smile

Quote:
Thats why there is a memers section for that sort of thing simply because so the casual visitor wont be overwhelmed by terms like 22K, notch 1, DMU, EMU, 201 class, DD, and photos.
I must admit I am overwhelemed by these too, and I'm a member, albeit not very active.
Colm R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26-01-2008, 20:01   #35
packetswitch

On the point of principle, though, Mark and gng raise an important issue. While it's great that new stations can come out of new development, if you can't access the publicly-owned railway service due to problems with the non-public aspect, or lack of heads-banging-together between public and private, that's a serious problem that is going to have a impact on the end user, i.e. the passenger/consumer. A platform that can't be properly accessed by passengers is a problem for those passengers, who don't perceive it in terms of legal ownership of land or planning permission responsibility. They see it as a problem "with the trains".

IÉ need to get this in hand - soon. Expecting passengers to know which access problem is IÉ's fault and which access problem is the fault of the council and which access problem is the fault of random private landowner is about as reasonable as expecting them to understand the differences between two flavours of train. The customer service problems we're aware of are bad enough without new excuses of 'not my fault mate' appearing...
packetswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26-01-2008, 20:09   #36
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Problem here is there is good road and pedestrian access to the station, fully accessible etc, its just not convenient to some, the new flyover bridge built in parallel with but separate from the station is not yet open.

This is not case where the only way to reach the station is by train eg Manualla Junction, or the crazy back entrances of Kildare and Newbridge.

Had the planning authority had any intelligence it would have had a condition on this station to hold off opening until the bridge was in place, we will have to wait for the DTA to do this, if they get the power
Unread 26-01-2008, 22:27   #37
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm R View Post
I must admit I am overwhelemed by these too, and I'm a member, albeit not very active.
When Thomas Bibby was on the Committee he sparked the idea of a glossory, or even a P11 (as it then was) Wiki. Wikipedia is a good help. I have never seen an edition of the IRRS Journal but I picked up a lot of the jargon from sharing a few pints with MarkG and a good tutorial from Derek. One thing I can state with absolute authority is that I have no clue how to differentiate a 171/141/121 if it was looking at me, apart from the fact that they are the "old" locomotives. I am proud to say that as well.

As for the topic in hand, IE are, in my mind, totally at fault here. They are, in effect the recpients of this station, they should have designed it and told the developers to build it. I'm sure the developers dont build rail stations every day.
Unread 26-01-2008, 23:05   #38
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Quote:
As for the topic in hand, IE are, in my mind, totally at fault here. They are, in effect the recpients of this station, they should have designed it and told the developers to build it.
They did, developer paid for it

http://documents.fingalcoco.ie/Anite...s/00050015.pdf

Other guys built the road and got planning permission 2 years earlier to do that

The alternative would be not to open the station until bridge is finished thus depriving those with access of the benefit

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 26-01-2008 at 23:07.
Unread 28-01-2008, 15:51   #39
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

I was there today.

The concourse is similar to Adamstown, not quite as big, but at least it doesn't have a gale blowing though it as it has a proper roof. Four ticket machines! All access is via the concourse, although there does appear to be a fire escape at the end of the Maynooth-bound platform.

The platforms are nice and wide, with the wall that supports the car park providing good shelter from the wind. The shelters are a varient of the usual although they would have been better if they provided a canopy only fixed to the retaining wall. Unfortuneately, as always, the seats are now in the shelters, you get one or the other.

The lifts open directly onto the platforms (that is perpendicular to the direction of train travel) and have single-sided doors. This means that wheelchairs must reverse in/out of the lifts and a brrier has been placed in the middle of the platform to stop wheelchairs reversing onto the tracks. High visibility / contrast colours would be nice on this barrier to stop poor unfortutates impaling themselves running for a train.

The security gates between the platforms and concourse are oddly half-way up the stairs.
Colm Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-08-2008, 14:36   #40
ThomasJ

So what do you reckon? are people still confused thiking that the station is in the Phoenix Park?

Sure look at the number of views for this thread compared to every other thread on this section, that number doesn't seem right!
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote