Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 24-04-2015, 08:36   #1
New to the board

Default Exit Ticket Validators 'Out of service'

Is there a reason why so many ticket validators in stations are constantly 'out of service'. In Dunboyne station 50 % of the validators are always 'out of service'.

The Dockland station, despite there being large queues every morning to exit the station, also has a large proportion of validators 'out of service'. Also, I do not understand why some of the ticket validators that are 'in service' are set to only accept tickets and will not accept leap cards.

I have regularly see people in servicing the ticket validators, is there a reason why so many continue to be left in 'out of service' state ?

Last edited by 782378 : 24-04-2015 at 10:11.
782378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-04-2015, 11:49   #2
Jamie2k9
Really Really Regluar Poster

When you say out of service, you don't mean that half barriers are for arriving and the other half for departing?

Last edited by Jamie2k9 : 24-04-2015 at 14:45.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 27-04-2015, 10:05   #3
shweeney
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie2k9 View Post
When you say out of service, you don't mean that half barriers are for arriving and the other half for departing?
if that is the case, whoever set them up is an idiot - most stations need no more than 1 gate dedicated to people entering the platform.
shweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30-04-2015, 12:57   #4
New to the board

Just to confirm, validators are out of service at both sides
782378 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2015, 21:55   #5
Dublin13
Regular Poster

Sorry to bump this up, but what is the story with the large number of gates which are always open pretty much all day long during the week?

Fare evasion from what I've seen in recent weeks evasion has become more and more common with barriers that are broken not being fixed and Irish Rail just leaving them open all of the time instead?

What's more perplexing is that half the barriers (the right hand side ones after entering the station) have been pretty much off every day for the last year with no chance to use them in either direction some of them are dirty in the need of a good clean as well and also being targeted by vandals from time to time. I've never seen them used.

To illustrate what I saw happened last night to a customer with a LEAP card, they present their ticket at one validator, which makes an error sound but the screen shows a tag off. Passenger then isn't sure so goes to the barrier next to it, which gives an error tone as well and it's screen is blank, the passenger then goes to the third barrier (with a blocked up ticket slot) and finally gets the "Just Validated" message.

At Clongriffin the barriers have been open all day every day for the last month even when staff have been present and people are openly talking about being able to tail-gate easily at one end and know that they'll never have to present a ticket at Clongriffin and the gates are always open even when staffed, alternatively they could just fix the barriers or turn the other ones on.

Last edited by Dublin13 : 03-12-2015 at 22:01.
Dublin13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2015, 12:27   #6
James Howard
Really Really Regluar Poster

I think they changed the sounds of the validators recently. Either that or it's changed for me after my pass changed to a leap card but that was months ago. The impression I've had which may be wrong is that it makes a sort of a honk that sounds like a error if your journey was covered by the pass on the card and it beeps normally if it deducted money from the epurse on the card.

I think that by and large, the open gates are used in unstaffed stations where there is nobody to let people with free transport passes on. Maybe you're seeming them left open because the staff can't be bothered to turn them back on. I get a strong impression that Irish Rail have basically decided that it's not worth the effort of trying to collect fares outside of peak times. They make a bit of a token effort now and again with inspections but given the price of fares and the level of enforcement, it is probably more cost effective to take your chances with not paying.
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2015, 14:31   #7
Dublin13
Regular Poster

The gates have been open pretty much 24x7 for the last month. I've never seen them closed since the start of November even when there are staff there.

Large numbers of people are increasingly being aware with it are deciding simply not to pay.
Dublin13 is offline   Reply With Quote