Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > Longford-Maynooth-Dunboyne-Clonsilla-Dublin line
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 19-06-2016, 15:59   #1
Billy1978
New to the board

Default Ashtown - Pearse 08:25

Hi folks:

I'm currently considering a move to Ashtown (currently on Dart line) but concerned about the rail commute. Not so much the distance, but the morning rush hour crush. I've heard that the train dep Ashtown at 0825 is often jammed, sometimes to the point people at Ashtown cannot board. Is this true? Anybody here make that journey regularly? Any insights welcome. Thanks.
Billy1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20-06-2016, 06:49   #2
Inniskeen
Really Regular Poster

Firstly to be pedantic, Ashtown is not on the DART line, but is served by Maynooth and Dunboyne/M3 diesel powered commuter services. The peak service is comparable in frequency to DART although off peak and weekend frequency is limited.

The 0825 from Ashtown would be one of the busier services and you should not expect to get a seat at any time of the year. It can be very busy during the peak commuter season from October to mid-December and again from early January to April/mid-May. It would be very rare not to be able to board the train unless the service is disrupted in some fashion.

You should have the option of changing onto the LUAS from the end of 2017, an option which might give you a quicker transit time depending on where you wish to go.
Inniskeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20-06-2016, 15:22   #3
James Shields

I suspect the OP was saying they are currently on the DART line, and moving to Ashtown.

If you're used to DART commuting, I don't think you'll notice a lot of difference on the commuter trains (the DART is pretty crammed by the time it gets to Dun Laoghaire at 8:25 too). You shouldn't normally have any difficulty getting on, but don't expect a seat. If you can get one of the M3 Parkway to Docklands trains, they will me much less crowded.

James
James Shields is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20-06-2016, 16:20   #4
James Howard
Really Really Regluar Poster

I work with somebody who comes in from Ashtown and he has terrible problems getting on to the Docklands train that gets him in for 9 as they tend to use 22k Intercity trains and people won't move down the carriages. He eventually gave up and started taking a later train.

I don't think he has any particular issues with boarding the train for Pearse as they generally use the right train for the job for this service.
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20-06-2016, 17:53   #5
Inniskeen
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Shields View Post
I suspect the OP was saying they are currently on the DART line, and moving to Ashtown

James
Yes, I did misread the post !
Inniskeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-06-2016, 17:23   #6
Billy1978
New to the board

Thanks for the feedback folks. I went out to Ashtown yesterday morning and did the commute on the 08:25 to Pearse, just to see. Very busy alright, but possible to board. Of course, the schools/colleges being out (or almost out) is probably not an accurate reflection on the rest of the year.
Billy1978 is offline   Reply With Quote