Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > General Irish Rail Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 01-08-2020, 22:28   #1
rigel kent
New to the board

Default Dublin Eastern bypass 2030

Not too sure is this the right place to say here goes.

After the airport line is finished and up to Dart standard build a railroad from the airport line to the Belfast line and send every second train from Belfast down the airport line then extend a line easterly toward the coast. Turn the line to build Ballydoyle station then drop the station underground and tunnel under Sutton station.
Upgrade the R123 road and place it above the descending track to create the bypass road.

Build a wall from Sutton dingy club to Bull island with a gate and move a dredger in behind Bull island and dredge a cut and pile the spoil against the Sutton wall to create a drydock facility to build 100 thousand ton modules with the road on top and the railway underneath.

Float the modules behind the dredger and demolish the causeway and demolish part of the sea wall to extract the dredger. Place the modules hard against the Sutton tunnel and create the bypass it needs to be 8 meters down. And build housing above.

Stations are West Killbarrick, Causeway, Dollymount, and North Wall for this section.

Split the lines at North Wall station and extend the line to Clontarf slipway and baths and connect to docklands station. the road connects to the M 50.

The other line dips down to 15 meters and goes under the shipping lane passes just outside Polbeg power station to create south wall station and rises slowly to Bootertown station to create the foundation of a sea wall so that the area behind the wall can be backfilled to create more land.

The road connects at the R 131 .

After the bypass is finished use the drydock to build the Ireland Wales fixed link.

Pipe dream I know.

Last edited by rigel kent : 01-08-2020 at 22:40.
rigel kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2020, 18:59   #2
ACustomer
Really Regular Poster

rigel kent:
Quote:
Pipe dream I know
Sorry, but that's the only bit of your post I can agree with. Have you any idea of the estimated cost (to the nearest Billion €)? Then what about a shot at the estimation of the benefits. Remember that there are other public projects competing for funds.

It seems that we have too much advocacy for projects which are of relatively low priority (e.g. Tuam-Claremorris?) or which are incredibly vague and costly. What need to be looked at are projects which address specific constraints such as 3 or 4 tracks from Connolly to Clongriffin or Malahide, or even large projects which have been relatively well-researched but then scandalously neglected, such as Dart Underground.

Never mind that simple and cheap projects such as a second platform at Enfield remain just as a set of plans after nearly a decade!
ACustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2020, 11:18   #3
rigel kent
New to the board

True but how else will you solve Dublins housing problem .
rigel kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-08-2020, 16:07   #4
James Shields

Fascinating ideas, though I'm having a little trouble visualising it. Perhaps a map would help.

You mention the Airport line. Do you mean from Clongriffin? Because to the best of my knowledge the only airport line under serious consideration at present is the Metro.

Your wall across Dublin Bay would either be a genius move to save the city from rising sea levels, or a terrible folly that would be overwhelmed by the same.

By "Ireland Wales fixed link" do you mean a railway to Wales? I suspect there's more chance of a railway to France.

I know a solution to the housing crisis is needed, but there are large tracts of land within the current city limits that could be utilised, and even more currently underutilised land that could be redeveloped, all at a fraction of the cost of reclaiming land from the sea. Schemes like this would take many years to realise, and I'd hope we'd have largely resolved our current housing situation long before something like this could be completed.
James Shields is offline   Reply With Quote