Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > General Irish Rail Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 09-04-2017, 08:13   #1
Mickey H
Really Regular Poster

Default Seat reservation warning

I was recently booking tickets for a Sligo line journey. One ticket plus reservation and one reservation for a person entitled to free travel. It allocated two seats "A00" and would not let me change them. I stopped the booking and did it again same result then again without reservations. It turned out to be a 29K on which you cannot reserve and Irish Rail almost fraudulently obtained €10 for reservations that could not exist. I suggest anyone booking the Sligo (and Rosslare?) line checks carefully to see if it is a real reservation with a proper seat number
Unread 09-04-2017, 10:23   #2
ACustomer
Really Regular Poster

This mess, plus the continuing inability to upgrade the booking system without disruption to services speaks volumes for the incompetence of Irish Rail.

In case you didn't know, see this: http://www.irishrail.ie/news/bookings-unavailable
ACustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2017, 13:44   #3
Jamie2k9
Really Really Regluar Poster

Quote:
I was recently booking tickets for a Sligo line journey. One ticket plus reservation and one reservation for a person entitled to free travel. It allocated two seats "A00" and would not let me change them. I stopped the booking and did it again same result then again without reservations. It turned out to be a 29K on which you cannot reserve and Irish Rail almost fraudulently obtained €10 for reservations that could not exist. I suggest anyone booking the Sligo (and Rosslare?) line checks carefully to see if it is a real reservation with a proper seat number
It's because the 2900 do not have a reservation system and many people prefer to have the discounted fare. If you fail to get a seat you still qualify for a refund. The 10 euro surcharge to move service only allows you transfer service, the original seat reservation is invalid for the new service you travel on (not sure if they would give a refund for no seat) but the booked seat will not be yours. It's main aim is to cover fare discrepancy which tends to exist.

They mark all reservations for special services even if on ICR etc as A0, B0 etc
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote