Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > General Irish Rail Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 17-06-2012, 16:21   #1
fiskar
New to the board

Default Navan Rail link - Phase 2

Looking for some data on the above given the deferral of the line and lack of interest by local TD's in progressing the line to Navan.

Was the feasibility study by Iarnrod Eireann in 2007 ever released to the public? I would like to know what the expected passenger use was given the population of the county as expected at that time for 2015.

Failing that, what is the capacity of one train carriage as used on phase 1 of the line to Dunboyne and Pace? Phase 2 expected to use 8 carriages.

Last edited by fiskar : 19-06-2012 at 20:16.
fiskar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-06-2012, 21:28   #2
ACustomer
Really Regular Poster

fiskar: what do you mean by referring to one-carriage trains being used on the line to DUnboyne and Pace? Trains are usually 2900s which means a minimum of 4 carriages or 22000s which means a minimum of three. Also the existing line can take 8 carriage trains (2900s).
ACustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-06-2012, 22:38   #3
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Politicians are often only focused on the current election cycle.

The diesel railcars can seat 40-65 people per carriage, perhaps up to twice that standing. The 2700s are currently being withdrawn as they are the least reliable. So likely minimum train size is two carriages. http://www.irishrail.ie/index.jsp?p=123&n=210

Roughan & O’Donovan / AECOM http://www.roughanodonovan.com/proje...-Rail-line.asp have the documentation substantially progressed.

Depending on external factors, primarily the economy, it might be worthwhile. In the recession, the high cost of borrowing and with the M3 in place it is unlikely to be worthwhile.

If someone has €300-500 million, things can move forward.

In the current environment, the best that can be hoped for is improving existing lines - signalling, level crossings, stations, etc.

Last edited by Colm Moore : 19-06-2012 at 20:25.
Colm Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 19-06-2012, 20:10   #4
fiskar
New to the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm Moore View Post
Politicians are often only focused on the current election cycle.

The diesel railcars can carry 40-65 people per carriage. The 2700s are currently being withdrawn as they are the least reliable. So likely minimum train size is two carriages. http://www.irishrail.ie/index.jsp?p=123&n=210

Roughan & O’Donovan / AECOM http://www.roughanodonovan.com/proje...-Rail-line.asp have the documentation substantially progressed.

Depending on external factors, primarily the economy, it might be worthwhile. In the recession, the high cost of borrowing and with the M3 in place it is unlikely to be worthwhile.

If someone has €300-500 million, things can move forward.

In the current environment, the best that can be hoped for is improving existing lines - signalling, level crossings, stations, etc.
Thanks for that. 40 to 65 would put an 8 carriage capacity per service at 320 to 520. Would need to be at the higher end in my opinion.

Been on ROD website but surely the feasibility report is out there somewhere?

Last edited by fiskar : 19-06-2012 at 20:13.
Unread 19-06-2012, 20:19   #5
dowlingm
Really Really Regluar Poster

I think if there was money to build Phase 2 there would be money to refit the 27s...

I will never understand that fiasco to my dying day - a Meath minister slowpedalling a Meath railway line, a county council who seemed to be bent on sabotaging it and so on and so on...
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 20-06-2012, 09:55   #6
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowlingm View Post
I think if there was money to build Phase 2 there would be money to refit the 27s...

I will never understand that fiasco to my dying day - a Meath minister slowpedalling a Meath railway line, a county council who seemed to be bent on sabotaging it and so on and so on...
if irish rail was a private company with big pockets it could lobby government in much the same way as the roads lobby could. As a branch of government it could not.
Unread 20-06-2012, 19:13   #7
fiskar
New to the board

Rail infrastructure such as this will the life blood of the economy going forward. You can see that in any city abroad that you visit.
The gas thing is that most motorists going to Dublin from Navan every day use the old untolled N3 to avoid the tolls and the government is using the mobile speed detecting van to try and nab them every 2nd week on the stretch into Dunshaughlin and frighten them onto the M3. That infrastructure is a pure white elephant. The rail link won't be, not the way fuel costs and congestion are going.
It might be there for my retirement in 20 years!
Unread 19-06-2012, 20:06   #8
fiskar
New to the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACustomer View Post
fiskar: what do you mean by referring to one-carriage trains being used on the line to DUnboyne and Pace? Trains are usually 2900s which means a minimum of 4 carriages or 22000s which means a minimum of three. Also the existing line can take 8 carriage trains (2900s).
merely trying to work out the capacity given that an 8 carriage train was to use the line,
Unread 31-08-2017, 13:58   #9
Goods
Regular Poster

Default Navan line

Amazing that Navan that is easily linked by rail to Dublin has not made any progress. They will try to solve the housing crisis by more building but no strategic planning on commuter service like rail. Politicians do not think beyond the next election.
Goods is offline   Reply With Quote