Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > Longford-Maynooth-Dunboyne-Clonsilla-Dublin line
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 22-06-2011, 16:52   #1
ThomasJ

Default Clonsilla station - Major road works ongoing until November

Expect major delays, extra time may be needed if driving/taking bus to the station

From AA Roadwatch http://www.aaireland.ie/AA/AA-Roadwatch/dublin.aspx

Quote:
A traffic management system is in place on all approaches to the rail station at Clonsilla, until approximately November for works. Significant delays can be expected and parking is prohibited on the Hansfield Rd for the duration of the works.
I noticed that opposite the porters gate housing estate where cars normally park, the forest area down by the canal work is being done with trees chopped and fencing down. It could be just widening the road but I wonder could they be building the new entrance to the station (mentioned in the plans (not part of) - as per the hansfield sdz plans.)

Last edited by ThomasJ : 22-06-2011 at 17:18.
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22-06-2011, 19:42   #2
karlr42

The IE annual report (link) states that

Quote:
In order to facilitate the operation of off-peak shuttle
services on the Dunboyne branch line from Clonsilla,
without incurring the full cost of operating to Docklands
and/or Connolly, a turnback platform is being designed
for Clonsilla. This will enable the Dunboyne branch trains
to terminate at Clonsilla and connect into the MaynoothDublin trains during the off-peak hours.
I suppose this is being squeezed in next to the canal.

Looks like I chose a great time to move back to the area after a year of living closer to town
karlr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2012, 21:07   #3
bg07

It appears the work at Clonsilla to provide an additional platform is nearing completion. Any idea when (or if) a new timetable will be implemented on the Maynooth line and if the frequency to Maynooth will be increased?
bg07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2012, 21:09   #4
Pilotman
New to the board

Probably just a shuttle service to and from M3 Parkway and Clonsilla. Reduced service on the Maynooth Line ????
Pilotman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2012, 22:03   #5
karlr42

There's already a shuttle service from Clonsilla to M3 and back in the evening off-peak. Presumably opening the platform will just move that service over to it, no need for any timetable changes(a later service on the branch would be nice though, to connect with the 2212 and 2310 Pearse-Maynooth services).

The platform should be open soon, the lifts and footbridge seem to be finished and there are workmen on the junction every day presumably working with the signalling. A tamper was sitting in the platform today as well.
Unread 10-07-2012, 22:06   #6
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

I would hope for a re-structuring of services, rather than a reduction in services. Note that is is hoped to open Hansfield station, which would make the Dunboyne branch more attractive to Barnwell/Ongar/Castaheany passengers.

The branch could easily be served by a very short shuttle off-peak, with the carriages freed up used to boost services, certainly Connolly-Clonsilla.
Unread 11-07-2012, 09:48   #7
ACustomer
Really Regular Poster

I can't see many people getting on a train a Hansfield and then changing at Clonsilla: might as well walk!
ACustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2012, 12:59   #8
karlr42

Yeah, even when Hansfield opens it is still a very long walk from civiliasation. It is only marginally closer to me than Clonsilla, so I will keep going to Clonsilla where I can get twice as many services and direct services to Pearse.
Unread 11-07-2012, 13:09   #9
Pilotman
New to the board

Arriving at Clonsilla off a down train for Maynooth and having to make your way across the footbridge to the bay platform for the M3 Parkway train will be a chore on a wet and windy evening.

Crossovers needed to facilitate down trains to serve the up platform to give a cross platform service is whats needed too.

Unlikely to get it with the present financial state of the country.
Pilotman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2012, 21:47   #10
Inniskeen
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm Moore View Post
I would hope for a re-structuring of services, rather than a reduction in services. Note that is is hoped to open Hansfield station, which would make the Dunboyne branch more attractive to Barnwell/Ongar/Castaheany passengers.

The branch could easily be served by a very short shuttle off-peak, with the carriages freed up used to boost services, certainly Connolly-Clonsilla.
I believe the intent is to abandon most or all through services on the Dunboyne line other than the Monday to Friday morning and evening peak services to/from Docklands. Whether this happens remains to be seen. Can't see the proposed arrangements doing much for business though.

A single set should be able to provide a 30 minute interval service in each direction between Dunboyne and Clonsilla, although there is no point in running at this frequency as the Maynooth off-peak service is roughly one train in either direction every hour. Likely "shuttle" service will be be hourly with long lie-overs at both M3 Parkway and Clonsilla.
Inniskeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2012, 06:49   #11
James Howard
Really Really Regluar Poster

So how many million will have been invested to achieve this reduction in service?
If only they could have some kind of single car train that could travel on roads and provide the same shuttle service, they might be able to shut the line down altogether.
What is the point in having a shuttle train sitting idle while paying the driver (and probably running the engine while doing so) while the same resources could be put to productive use by running in to Connolly - thus increasing the level of service at all stations between Clonsilla and the city.
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 16-07-2012, 18:47   #12
sean

There's a cap on the number of trains that can be sent into Connolly, and the Docklands station is not very popular - the Midland route also prevents service to Drumcondra.
sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 17-07-2012, 07:42   #13
James Howard
Really Really Regluar Poster

Docklands station is unpopular because it is in a ridiculous location and it costs €3.10 return on the luas to get to somewhere people want to go from it. Docklands is roughly the same distance from Grafton Street as Ranelagh.

If we had a properly integrated public transport system, you would be able to get a luas ticket for another euro or so return or possibly it would be included in the price of your ticket.
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-12-2012, 09:02   #14
bg07

Has work on the 3rd platform halted? Nothing seems to have been done there for months and the points and signalling look like they still need to be commissioned. Was the project postponed indefinitely due to the ongoing Irish rail budget problems? Bit of a waste if that is the case as there can't be that much left to do.
bg07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-12-2012, 10:31   #15
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

It looked fully complete when I passed recently
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-12-2012, 17:06   #16
karlr42

I think it's ready to go, they're just not going to start using it until the new timetable comes in.
Unread 23-12-2012, 18:21   #17
ThomasJ

If only they had've been as quick on hansfield that might have been opening in the new timetable!
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-12-2012, 19:16   #18
Inniskeen
Really Regular Poster

Apparently the commissioning of the new signalling and points at Clonsilla is scheduled for early January. Given that this work has been scheduled and abandoned on at least two previous occasions, there is no guarantee that it will happen this time either !
Inniskeen is offline   Reply With Quote