Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > General Information & Discussion > Rail Users Ireland Canteen
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Unread 08-02-2010, 03:13   #1
on the move
Regular Poster

Default Euro 2012 Interrailing

So, we got 5 opponents in the Euro 2012 group. Russia, Armenia, Slovakia, Macedonia, and Andorra, but we'll leave the football discussion aside for the moment.

I was out in Bulgaria for the qualifier in the last group, travelled by train from Bucharest to Sofia, and even though it took 10 hours, it was direct and reasonably comfortable, though it seemed that everyone got off at the border.

Had a look around some provisional routes, and if we got a double-header trip to Armenia and Russia in the same week, in theory it would be possible to travel by train. However, there doesn't appear to be such a service from Yerevan to Moscow around. If we got Armenia away on it's own, you could take in a trip to Turkey as well if the train was reliable enough.

Travelled through Slovakia the last time, but unfortunately, while it's dirt cheap, train travel in Slovakia isn't great, and I ran into numerous problems then. Barcelona appears to be the most accessible for Andorra, but not too keen on going down that route.

We've also got a trek to Skopje to negotiate, and is the one I'm most keen on. Had a look around and Belgrade, Tirana, and Salonika seem to be within reasonable reach. But which one is best? Going direct to the game venue may be more convenient, but it's also more expensive.

Anyone wish to post their advice of travelling around those countries?

Last edited by on the move : 08-02-2010 at 03:15.
on the move is offline   Reply With Quote