Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > General Information & Discussion > Events, Happenings and Media
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 21-08-2012, 14:28   #1
Jamie2k9
Really Really Regluar Poster

Default Irish Rail to get tough on anti-social behaviour

http://www.mayonews.ie/index.php?opt...news&Itemid=46

Quote:
Irish Rail has apologised to customers who have witnessed anti-social behaviour on the Westport-to-Dublin train and say it is taking steps to curb such behaviour in the future.
The apology came as a result of representations by annoyed and upset customers to Mayo TD John O’Mahony. Mr O’Mahony wrote to Irish Rail outlining his constituents concerns and in a reply, Richard Fearn, Chief Executive of Irish Rail, expressed disappointment to hear of anti-social behaviour on the train.
Mr Fearn said that the company is taking steps to curb such behaviour on its trains, including the deployment of security personnel at main stations and training staff to deal with anti-social incidents.
“I wish to apologise for the discomfort that some of our customers have experienced and I am particularly disappointed to hear that this has been as a result of anti-social behaviour taking place.
“We have implemented a number of initiatives on trains and in stations to improve personal security, including CCTV and help points on train carriages and in stations, a dedicated phone line for reporting and monitoring anti-social behaviour incidents, the deployment of security personnel at main stations and training for our front-line staff in dealing with anti-social incidents.
“We are committed to addressing anti-social behaviour on our services and we will continue to monitor and take the appropriate action required including the removal of disruptive customers from our trains and stations,” he wrote.
The apology and reassurances by Mr Fearn were welcomed by Deputy O’Mahony, who said he feels the moves will help allay fears of those who travel by train.
“It’s important that people feel safe when they are using our trains, and I only raised this issue recently on foot of a number of representations from constituents.
“Many will be relieved to hear about plans by Iarnród Éireann to deal with the issue. Irish people, particularly those who live in rural areas, have a great affinity with the rail service, and it would be a real shame if they felt unable to use it because of fear of anti-social behaviour. These moves by Iarnród Éireann should help,” said the Fine Gael TD.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21-08-2012, 15:34   #2
karlr42

That TD sounds incredibly spineless and eager to be placated.

Anyway, I'll believe IE are taking anti-social behaviour seriously when I see it.
karlr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21-08-2012, 16:05   #3
dowlingm
Really Really Regluar Poster

CCTV is worthless if nobody's watching, the person watching can't get anyone to attend, or the person attending can't act as needed. Not sure why you took a cut at the TD though karlr42 - people wrote to him and he asked what was going to be done. The spineless response for me was Dick F's as if he didn't know antisocial behaviour is already a problem elsewhere on the network and the measures taken are only making limited headway there if reports are true (Waterford line)
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-08-2012, 13:15   #4
Ron Burgundy
Regular Poster

Perhaps they should do something to do with rude staff while they are at it. I've had more problems with Irish Rail staff members than i've ever had with an other people on the rail network and thats with daily travel for 7 years.

They refuse to give id number and when you do complain to their station you might as well be talking to the wall. I have NEVER had an apology for the way i've been dealt with by any rude member of staff.
Ron Burgundy is offline   Reply With Quote