Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > General Information & Discussion > Events, Happenings and Media
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 05-03-2009, 13:14   #21
Mark Hennessy
Membership Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by comcor View Post
Personally, I don't see that Metro North is all that vital a piece of national infrastructure. It certainly doesn't compare to the Interconnector.
Agreed, there is a massive distance down the pecking order for Interconnector v Metro. The interconnector as discussed here many times unifies everything we currently have. If it is a PPP and it gets the go ahead, fantastic.
However from a macro economic perpective, both MN and Interconnector should provide a jobs boost for 5-7 years. Once again, if it is an either/or, the Interconnector must take priority.

Quote:
The arguments that it will spur development in Fingal carry as much weight as arguments that the WRC will bring development in the West. There will be no development in this country for the next 5 years.
Again, no arguments there, we blew everything on poor planned and designed shoeboxes all over the country far from proper transport. Even if the cash was there for new developments, there are so few people waiting to buy houses with massive unemployment, tax hikes and little job security. Already Dublin City council are owed in the hundreds of millions of developer levies, most of which will have to be written off, I believe some of these were used in the funding models for MN.
Mark Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2009, 16:46   #22
essoII
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
With regard to any calls by posters here about which project should go ahead at the expense of another etc then remember that metro North is at the most advanced stage of any of the other large PPP projects like Metro West, the Interconnector and Lucan Luas. The likes of the IC, MW and Line F would be at least 1 year if not 2 away from An Bord Pleanala which is where MN is at now.

If they were to delay anything they should start with the least advanced in my opinion and simply for the fact that we need a large infrastructure project to kick start employment and the Metro north is the only one that can start any time soon.

*When I mean delay I mean delay construction. Planning and design should proceed as scheduled. Its small change when it comes to construction.
Excellent point. 'Nuf said. I say Metro West should be the first to be delayed, Interconnector needs to steam ahead as usual though.
essoII is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2009, 20:39   #23
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hennessy View Post
Already Dublin City council are owed in the hundreds of millions of developer levies, most of which will have to be written off, I believe some of these were used in the funding models for MN.
I'm not sure about this (no doubt there will be individual cases) - developer levies are only due when development is proceeding. If a developer has planning permission for 1,000 houses, but only builds 100, he only has to pay for 100 now.
Unread 06-03-2009, 04:02   #24
on the move
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by essoII
Anyone see enda kenny's opinion letter in the Irish Times sometime last week? Absolutely shocking, he was ranting on about what he'd do if he were Taoiseach. He said that he'd immediately shelve Metro North. 7000 guaranteed jobs will be created in constructing the metro.
Government and opposition's priority isn't job creation, it's saving money. And they don't see Metro South as "7000 jobs", they see it as "€ billions saved". Same for Luas extensions/merge in city centre.

As for Kenny, his opinion is no different to FF's on it, so it shouldn't be an election issue. I can't see it going ahead unless it's built privately.
Unread 06-03-2009, 08:53   #25
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by essoII View Post
Excellent point. 'Nuf said. I say Metro West should be the first to be delayed, Interconnector needs to steam ahead as usual though.
Understood but from a jobs point of view Metro North would be in a position of being a much larger job, more expensive but providing more jobs than the interconnector.

I can see them all being pulled, sadly.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2009, 19:24   #26
dowlingm
Really Really Regluar Poster

I think a salient question arising from Mark's post is WHY the interconnector is behind Metro North in staging, and who is responsible for it falling behind? Is it because the IC office was starved of engineering support due to the construction of a certain Weshtern line?

As for ridership, it's easy to provide ridership to Metro - end "An Lar" by reducing bus licences into the city centre - especially off peak - along that corridor and issuing new ones for feeder routes.
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-03-2009, 13:33   #27
Mark Hennessy
Membership Officer

Interesting article from Eamon Quinn in today's Tribune about an attempt to get the European Investment bank to stump up the readies for the capital projects thus alleviating the pressure on the government books and hence the 9.5% deficit we said we'd run this year.
Unread 16-03-2009, 22:03   #28
Mark Hennessy
Membership Officer

Hank Fogarty of SIAC and Tom Parlon's CIF (weird feeling when you are on the same side as Tom Parlon) was on Morning Ireland talking about the metro.

He says cost is between €3bn and €5bn so that's €4bn then

Linky Here (Real Player needed)
Unread 19-03-2009, 13:31   #29
Mark Hennessy
Membership Officer

Frank Allen (RPA) and Dr. Sean Barrett discuss the pros and cons of the metro on Pat Kenny:

http://www.rte.ie/business/2009/0319/metro.html
Unread 24-03-2009, 21:03   #30
Mark Hennessy
Membership Officer

Prime time on about the rail projects in T21 after the news.

Expect lots of hyperbole and little in the way of facts.

EDIT: Should have guessed Sean Barrett would be on.

Last edited by Mark Hennessy : 24-03-2009 at 21:53.
Unread 24-03-2009, 22:23   #31
sublimity
Really Regular Poster

That guy from ESRI on prime time said the westeren rail corridor should be suspended. I wonder... only time will tell.
sublimity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-03-2009, 09:14   #32
ACustomer
Really Regular Poster

That guy from the ESRI is Edgar Morgenroth, who has done a lot of good work on infrastructure. What he said about the major roads programme was interesting: priority should be given to completing the major inter-city motorway schemes as the final pieces should have a good ratio of benefit to cost: i.e. they deliiver connectivity and network economies to all the existing bits.

The same argument can be applied to rail and should be used to prioritise the interconnector: it delivers huge connectivity and enhances the utility of existing lines and ensures that the Kildare Rooute Project delivers its full potential.

By comparison Metro North is a poor second, in my opinion. Where else in the world does a Metro get built (not just extended) primarily to serve an airport?
ACustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-03-2009, 10:42   #33
al2637

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACustomer View Post
Where else in the world does a Metro get built (not just extended) primarily to serve an airport?
It's not being built to primarily serve the airport.
al2637 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-03-2009, 10:51   #34
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Its only something in the region of 20-25% of traffic will be generated by the airport

Total passenger numbers will be somewhere in the region of 35 million
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-03-2009, 13:03   #35
Mark Hennessy
Membership Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACustomer View Post

The same argument can be applied to rail and should be used to prioritise the interconnector: it delivers huge connectivity and enhances the utility of existing lines and ensures that the Kildare Rooute Project delivers its full potential.
Absolutely. I think I read beofre it will require no extra subvention when it opens.

More transport options for a greater number of the capital's population, sounds like a win win.
Unread 25-03-2009, 19:10   #36
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Hennessy View Post
Prime time on about the rail projects in T21 after the news.

Expect lots of hyperbole and little in the way of facts.

EDIT: Should have guessed Sean Barrett would be on.
Some blatant "not quite right" bits: http://www.rte.ie/news/2009/0324/pri...14094,null,230
Unread 26-03-2009, 10:04   #37
Mark

I would be intrigued to know how many new trips the two new projects would create.
Unread 26-03-2009, 10:12   #38
markpb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
I would be intrigued to know how many new trips the two new projects would create.
Don't forget that apart from isolated metro trips, it should also boost demand for the existing Luas and Dart lines as the network grows as well as reducing the need for DB to cover some areas as intensively which would free up buses for feeder and local services.
markpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2009, 13:59   #39
al2637

from: http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...breaking51.htm (fair usage snippet)

Quote:
The planned metro also received a boost from Minister for Transport Noel Dempsey yesterday when expressed strong support for the project at a business seminar organised by Fingal County Council.

Mr Dempsey said accused economic commentators of making “ill-informed” and “ignorant” statements, he said he would be recommending to cabinet colleagues that the project be approved, despite the downturn.

“There has been a lot of ill-informed comment. I’m not sure where all the negativity comes from. We are in difficult times, there’s no doubt about that, and tough decisions have to be made. While we deal with those current realities we have to realise there will be a future, we have to develop a sustainable framework for transport.

“We can’t continue to have ever-expanding urban sprawl, that will only result in longer commutes. The patterns of settlement and trip making have continued to rely on the private car” he said.
al2637 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2009, 14:59   #40
Mark

I was there although it was this morning not yesterday? Lots of optimistic talk for once.