Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 06-07-2009, 09:41   #1
ThomasJ

Default [Article] Irish times article on business analythics "analyse this"

From The Irish Times on Business Analythics. There is an extract from this article that refers to how this impacted on the netherlands rail system, and having travelled by rail there recently I would agree! Indeed Irish Rail take note!

Quote:
Another practical example of business analytics in use was a recent project implemented by Netherlands Railways who were finding themselves overwhelmed by growing passenger numbers. The Netherlands is unusually reliant on its rail system to bring its commuters to and from work. More than half of the country's 16 million citizens use the train as frequently as daily to get to and from work, while more than 70 per cent of people who commute from one city to another do so by train.

Unfortunately, the system became a victim of its own success and demand began to overwhelm available capacity, causing delays, cancellations and significant economic and social problems in the process.

Netherlands Railways turned to analytics to address the issue and came up with a plan to increase the number and configuration of trains, rebuild important sections of track, reschedule crews and, critically, revamp the timetable. The results were a dramatically improved service within a short period of time followed by international acclaim and awards for the rail company. Iarnród Éireann and Dublin Bus take note.
Copyright Irish Times
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...250001304.html
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2009, 09:55   #2
Mark Hennessy
Membership Officer

I'd say the only "analytics" performed by Irish Rail management is how to keep paying themselves 6 figure salaries for running a small sized railway.

Anyone know how much the head of Dutch Rail or DB makes per annum?
Mark Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2009, 11:30   #3
al2637

Dutch Rail:

A.W. Veenman 521,291 + 159,515 (bonus)

A Meerstadt 459,603 + 140,639

M Niggebrugge: 459,603 + 140,639

I don't really know what each of them does, but NS is a large company with the Dutch operation, rail in Liverpool, Northern Rail in the UK?, large retail presence, etc etc

Source: http://www.ns.nl/cs/Satellite?blobco...&ssbinary=true
al2637 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2009, 11:37   #4
ThomasJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by al2637 View Post
Dutch Rail:

I don't really know what each of them does, but NS is a large company with the Dutch operation, rail in Liverpool, Northern Rail in the UK?, large retail presence, etc etc

Cheers for that Al, I wouldn't mind them adding Irish rail to their international rail portfolio. Whatever their high salary and bonus (I know that generally the cost of living in the netherlands is higher than Ireland especially in amsterdam!) at least there is some justification that they are managing the dutch rail network well (although i know there are other rail companies running in holland - including arriva)

On a side note, I have just noticed where I have put this thread and where it should be put! could a mod move it, thanks!
ThomasJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2009, 12:10   #5
Mark Hennessy
Membership Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by al2637 View Post
Dutch Rail:

Very interesting info.

Unusual to see (these days anyway) that another European country actually pays more than they do for the same job in Ireland.

In recent times all comparisons have been towards the Irish guys getting way more than the European equivalents.
Mark Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2009, 14:36   #6
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

If they do come in, hopefully they won't bring along the pricing system that charges a surcharge for buying tickets with banknotes :-(
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2009, 16:44   #7
ccos

Or tells you 2 seconds after the other train to rotherdam departs that your train (which was supposed to depart first) is not going to go for 15 mins and you should get the one that departs in 10 mins and then watch the train you got off depart

NS, all toilets flush onto track, many trains have no air-con, no catering, max speed 140 kph (the one high speed line gathers dust)

DB are far superior and they are not afraid to say "Sorry"
ccos is offline   Reply With Quote