Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Galway - Limerick - Waterford - Rosslare
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 02-03-2012, 17:07   #41
Traincustomer

Default Bustitution of certain journeys west of Clonmel between 5th and 9th March inclusive

From IÉ website (http://www.irishrail.ie/cat_news.jsp?i=4498&p=116&n=237:

Track Works - Tipperary/Clonmel - Monday 5th - Friday 9th March - Part bus substitutions

02 March 2012

Due to track works between Tipperary and Clonmel the following services will have part bus substitutions:

11.40hrs service from Waterford to Limerick Junction will operate to Clonmel only. Bus transfers will operate from Clonmel to Limerick Junction.

13.55hrs service from Limerick Junction to Waterford will be bus transfers from Limerick Junction to Clonmel and by train from Clonmel to Waterford. Bus will depart Limerick Junction at 13.55hrs. Train will depart Clonmel at 14.55hrs.

Please note a 25 - 35 minute delay may occur.

Iarnród Éireann regrets any inconvenience this may cause.
Traincustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2012, 04:55   #42
IckyThump
Regular Poster

for over 12 months they have been doimng these track works between clonmel and tipp. but i have no idea what the hell they are doing. in all seriousness what are they trying to do??? its always this section. never between the junction and tipp. never between clonmel and waterfor. always this section. 12 months of on and off trck works. its a joke. considering they will stil charge 24 quid one way for this kind of service.

what a joke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

treating us customers with no respect what so ever
IckyThump is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2012, 15:50   #43
Destructix
Really Regular Poster

They must want this line to close. Just Called Limerick Junction its €17 day return to Waterford. What a rip off and even more insulting it costs more to Limerick Junction from Thurles.
Destructix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-03-2012, 20:15   #44
ACustomer
Really Regular Poster

Icky Thump: There was a prolonged closure of Limerick Junction-Tipperary during the resignalling of the Junction; there have also been recent closures of Carrick-CLonmel for track works. So its not all Clonmel-Tipp. Also remember that Clonmel -Tipp is by far the longest block section on the line, about 25 miles,and about twice as long as the next longest.

Having said that, the repeated daytime track possessions can by annoying. But the alternatives are probably too costly.
ACustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2012, 07:45   #45
IckyThump
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACustomer View Post
Icky Thump: There was a prolonged closure of Limerick Junction-Tipperary during the resignalling of the Junction; there have also been recent closures of Carrick-CLonmel for track works. So its not all Clonmel-Tipp. Also remember that Clonmel -Tipp is by far the longest block section on the line, about 25 miles,and about twice as long as the next longest.

Having said that, the repeated daytime track possessions can by annoying. But the alternatives are probably too costly.
i get that. i do. but im getting the feeling that im now been forced to pay twice the cost that i paid prior to the increase and the service remains inept.

if i thought there was light at the end of the preverbial tunnel id be smiling but the truth is these works arent changing a thing. we still wont have a proper service and we will still pay a ridiculous amount to fund dublin projects

if they just came out and said what they have planned for the future of the line it might make people happier or more confident in the service. tell us if ther one day will be a sunday sevice, an increase in service or even the facility to book online. im not being greedy here. im not begging for a service car or broadband or even a direct train. im just saying try to improve and bring customers in.............................

if they gave me one week in charge i would fix the whole bloody line.

1) ADVERISE. by god i dont think irish rail even know this line exists let alone passengers. whats wrong with putting an advert in the limerick Post or the Waterford star or any other source of media that will alert people. why have they never advertised to the TRAVEL DEPRTMENT in the colleges???

2) directly compete with bus eireann. the ticket prices where €1.50 cheaper than the bus. now they are €8 more expensive!!!!!

3) stop ripping customers off by forcing students to buy a travel saver card................. "you can save money if you pay for this...................." genius

4) let people know the train exists. not just with the advertising but let people get their fares calculateonline like other lines, let people book online

5) change the times!!!!!! i use the 7.55am Limerick-waterford quiet a bit. itsok for me buthow is this train handy for a commuter?? these trains should be arriving in Limerick and Waterford for 8.30am. sure it means 6am first train but more people would use a train that would actually get them there on time.

Limerick - waterford. trains should be running at the following times leaving both stations
mon-sat (6am-8.30am) (10am-12.30am) (2pm- 4.30pm) (6pm- 8.30pm)
sun (9am-11.30am) (7pm- 9.30pm)

that the way the trains should be run. no excuses. staff will work. at every small station on the line electronic ticket checkers should be placed(saves cash in the long run).

without even checking the dublin-cork times im sure that hey wouldnt be far off meeting the above times without massive alterations

they can blame anyone they want or make excuses such as its not up to us to do this or that. its all bull. its a mater of giving a toss. its a matter of giving a shread of respect to the people paying through their eyes for this depleted service
Unread 05-03-2012, 07:48   #46
IckyThump
Regular Poster

as for the work on the track. nothing at the moment at all stopping them from working on an empty sunday track. or in the evenings. the train is well through there by 6. im sure people would work 6-12 if they where paid to do it. if not im sure i could get a big group together for the same wages and we'll do it altogether for IE. i know that alot of people i know wouldnt mind working 6-12 or on a sunday........................
Unread 05-03-2012, 13:38   #47
Carrage A
Regular Poster

Quote:
Limerick - waterford. trains should be running at the following times leaving both stations
Ideal times but 06.00 from Waterford would need to be moved to 06.10 or 06.15 departure, two trains can't leave at the same time.
Carrage A is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2012, 15:40   #48
dowlingm
Really Really Regluar Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by IckyThump View Post
5) change the times!!!!!! i use the 7.55am Limerick-waterford quiet a bit. itsok for me buthow is this train handy for a commuter?? these trains should be arriving in Limerick and Waterford for 8.30am. sure it means 6am first train but more people would use a train that would actually get them there on time.

[snip]

without even checking the dublin-cork times im sure that hey wouldnt be far off meeting the above times without massive alterations

they can blame anyone they want or make excuses such as its not up to us to do this or that. its all bull. its a mater of giving a toss. its a matter of giving a shread of respect to the people paying through their eyes for this depleted service
Why don't you look at the times instead of assuming? I've spent a lot of time looking at connections around LJ and I can tell you the options are not as simple as you'd like to make out. IE have decided that the shuttle to Dublin/Cork trains is the primary function of the Limerick-Limerick Junction and Limerick Junction-Waterford trains. That's the reality. If you don't like it take it up with the relevant IE regional manager next time they have a meet the manager session in Limerick or Waterford.
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2012, 15:42   #49
dowlingm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrage A View Post
Ideal times but 06.00 from Waterford would need to be moved to 06.10 or 06.15 departure, two trains can't leave at the same time.
Not in Waterford? I thought the Dublin and Limerick lines were separately signalled - at least for now anyway although there are rumours of a forthcoming rationalisation with the two approach tracks reduced to one.
Unread 05-03-2012, 16:35   #50
ACustomer
Really Regular Poster

dowlingm: Waterford Central to Waterford West is conventional double track, absolute block, so a train can't leave the station (Central) until the previous one has cleared the section at the West cabin. This means you need about 3 minutes between departures. Its only after Waterford West that you have 2 parallel single lines and hence theoretically simultaneous departures towards Limerick and Dublin.
ACustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2012, 17:06   #51
Jamie2k9

Quote:
This means you need about 3 minutes between departures
Currenly they allow 10 mins, 5 was tried but it didn't work out to well.

It can up to 5 minutes for the train to travel from Waterford Central to West cabin and nearly all trains have to stop before they switch lines.

Quote:
at least for now anyway although there are rumours of a forthcoming rationalisation with the two approach tracks reduced to one.
Would this mean new signals/points etc and if that happens could the current 20 mph be increased a little on approch.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2012, 17:59   #52
dowlingm

thanks for clarifying that Jamie2K9/ACustomer
Unread 05-03-2012, 20:35   #53
Carrage A
Regular Poster

Quote:
Not in Waterford? I thought the Dublin and Limerick lines were separately signalled - at least for now anyway although there are rumours of a forthcoming rationalisation with the two approach tracks reduced to one.
They did some work a while back by closing one of the tracks off the 3 one out form the long platform and done a bit of work at the bridge on the Dublin side but thats it realy.
Carrage A is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2012, 21:42   #54
dowlingm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carrage A View Post
They did some work a while back by closing one of the tracks off the 3 one out form the long platform and done a bit of work at the bridge on the Dublin side but thats it realy.
I vaguely recall that might have been finally lifting the track which used to lead to the Suir bridge towards Dungarvan...?