Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Limerick
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 13-12-2006, 10:11   #1
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Default 17:05 to Limerick or is that Ennis ??

Last night was fun in Heuston

Standing there look up at the board and I see P2 Ennis 17:05 but it was Tuesday not Friday so its going to Limerick

All out confusion in the management team on the concourse, it does it doesn't. The PA was calling Limerick.

So the display was wrong
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-12-2006, 10:55   #2
2Funki4Wheelz

And there I was thinking the one night the managers were thrown to the lions they'd make sure eveything was working right that night

Last edited by 2Funki4Wheelz : 14-12-2006 at 09:24.
2Funki4Wheelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-12-2006, 11:09   #3
Jister

why does it only go to Ennis only on Friday anyway, rather than every night? Before the line was upgraded there were 2 direct trains from Ennis every day.
Jister is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-12-2006, 18:59   #4
Derek Wheeler

Ah but Mark, why don't you tell everyone how Myles McHugh tried to tell you that you were wrong because all passengers have to do is change trains in Limerick to get to Ennis. So it was going to Ennis....sort of.
Derek Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 13-12-2006, 19:14   #5
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Thats the short version

Long version

Myles it doesn't go to Ennis, change Limerick another manager is sent round to read the display on P2, the fact its a cross platform change, about 3 minutes of this game old school IE dug in not changing

Steve appears, yeah your right its wrong

So the 19:00 to Cobh anyone ?
Unread 13-12-2006, 19:56   #6
Derek Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post

Sure why not. Don't forget to change!

We used to have the Barry Kenny reality distortion field on the board. Think its time to add Myles McHugh to the game.

It must be a CIE thing. It happening with the same old suspects. Poor Steve, he'll be shipped back to the UK in a straight jacket.
Unread 13-12-2006, 20:45   #7
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Wheeler View Post
It must be a CIE thing. It happening with the same old suspects. Poor Steve, he'll be shipped back to the UK in a straight jacket.
The man who knew too much

Myself and Derek have met the new IE (talks the talk and appears to care) and the old IE of get lost followed by the excuse generator
Unread 13-12-2006, 21:31   #8
Derek Wheeler

Exactly Mark. (despite my trust not won yet)

I'd rather have someone who appears to care, than the time old dogmatic "we will not surrender" attitude that emanates from others within the IE stable. Its just so boring, outdated and very very old.

They may have upgraded their network, but they certainly haven't "upgraded" the old guard.
Unread 14-12-2006, 10:17   #9
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
Thats the short version

Long version

Myles it doesn't go to Ennis, change Limerick another manager is sent round to read the display on P2, the fact its a cross platform change, about 3 minutes of this game old school IE dug in not changing

Steve appears, yeah your right its wrong

Could you elaborate on that Mark. Am I right in thinking that Myles wouldnt even walk over and look at the sign? By cross platform do you mean in Limerick?
Unread 14-12-2006, 10:40   #10
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas J Stamp View Post
Could you elaborate on that Mark. Am I right in thinking that Myles wouldnt even walk over and look at the sign? By cross platform do you mean in Limerick?
Well no shortage of someone else to go look, seemed reasonable

My line was its not direct it should be Limerick, Change Limerick for Ennis, Myles held onto Ennis

Clearly I'm right but IE can never admit it
Unread 14-12-2006, 11:54   #11
CSL

unless by some miracle it pulls into Limerick roads , reverses [ without stopping in the station ] and then pulls off up the Ennis spur. <- note use of sarcasm.

Emperor's new clothes; just point and laugh.

I haven't gotten that train recently : just for the facts, is it a shuttle Limerick-> Ennis or does the mainline train ever head there after dropping in Limerick ?
CSL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14-12-2006, 11:54   #12
zag
Regular Poster

Default BE do it too

I had a similar situation with Bus Eireann a while ago. I dropped someone to Busaras at something like 0630 one morning to get the bus to somewhere in Mayo - can't remember where. I had previously checked the timetable and it was clearly timetabled as Dublin->Ballina (or wherever it was), but there was a note on the timetable to indicate a change in Athlone. Of course, most people don't read the notes unless they are particularly bored.

So, I get a call at about 0620 to say there is no bus to Ballina listed on the board, there is nobody at the information desk, there are no BE people around, etc . . .

There was a bus on the board listed as departing for Athlone at 0630 so I told them to get on that and change there. Once they got to Athlone they changed and go to their destination no problem.

As far as BE was concerned they had a timetabled service to this destination, but as far as the people on the ground in Busaras were concerned there was no such service.

z
zag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14-12-2006, 12:02   #13
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSL View Post
I haven't gotten that train recently : just for the facts, is it a shuttle Limerick-> Ennis or does the mainline train ever head there after dropping in Limerick ?
On a Friday the 17:05 runs to Limerick where another locomotive drags the train back out to Ennis, thus on Fridays it is correct to refer to it as Ennis

Bus Eireann's online thingy clearly shows the number of changes
Unread 14-12-2006, 12:02   #14
markpb

Quote:
Originally Posted by zag View Post
There was a bus on the board listed as departing for Athlone at 0630 so I told them to get on that and change there. Once they got to Athlone they changed and go to their destination no problem.
This happened to me two weeks ago but there was a note on the display above the door and no less than six PA announcements in the space of 15 minutes prior to departure. The driver also stood inside the building and shouted for passengers to Ballina. It wasn't 6.30 though, might have been 8am. Bus Eireann customer service is usually quite excellent, much better than anyone I've ever dealt with in IE or DB.
markpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 14-12-2006, 12:20   #15
hhf8
Regular Poster

I've had a few run ins with bus eireann, In my experience IE seem a lot better.....,I'm sure they'll try and make me look stupid and prove me wrong though