Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Rosslare
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 06-07-2012, 13:57   #21
James Howard
Really Really Regluar Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm Moore View Post
Wasn't his mostly the local politicians who didn't want "old" trains?
That would be the answer to my question as to how this country keeps coming up with "better" solutions that don't work. We have have too many politicians pulling strokes for anybody who has the neck to ask them for them.

Hence we end up with trains leaving branch lines with 4 passengers, thousands of houses build in the middle of swamps 100 miles from the nearest job and tolled motorways where there isn't enough traffic to pay the toll collectors.
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2012, 19:41   #22
dowlingm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas J Stamp View Post
all the 22k's that we are getting are here apparently, certainly on the connolly side, so i would expect the 29's to be doing their final departure soon enough. that said it took ages for Sligo to be rid of them.
so the three remaining unaccepted sets (59/60/61) are likely to stay Heuston-side when their cheque clears, and we should stop looking out to sea for 10/11?
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2012, 10:21   #23
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowlingm View Post
so the three remaining unaccepted sets (59/60/61) are likely to stay Heuston-side when their cheque clears, and we should stop looking out to sea for 10/11?
i would imagine so. 10/11, i think that 60/61 is in effect their replacement, but i could be wrong.
Unread 10-07-2012, 12:45   #24
Inniskeen
Really Regular Poster

Dont see how sets 60 and 61 could be a replacement for 10 and 11 unless Irish Rail have negotiated a reduction in the order.

The most recent order was for 17 3-car sets (effectively sets 47 to 63 inclusive, all of which have now been delivered). These additional units were supposedly for longer distance suburban services - preseumeably Portlaoise, Longford, Gorey, Carlow, Athlone, Dundalk. So far there is only one ICR working from Dundalk while the south eastern and Longford outer suburban services are still typically worked by 29ks. So there would seem to be a defic on the Connolly side rather that the Heuston side.

The obvious strategy would see the northern line ICR allocation used to provide express commuter services from Drogheda/Dundalk and Newry thus relieving the inner suburban services, attracting new passengers and leveraging some benefit from the 90 mph line limit.

Similarly I would expect that some effort should be made to separate Longford/Mullingar traffic from Maynooth traffic again to impove the overall product offering.
Inniskeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2012, 13:11   #25
Jamie2k9

Have read on a number of sites that it will be around December before the replacment sets are dilevered. They should still be numbered 10 and 11.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2012, 16:37   #26
dowlingm

I kinda wish they would have negotiated a change - like a 6 car First with TPWS to replace the 2 x 3. Eventually the DDs are going to have to be overhauled and the C3Ks and econ/TPWS 22s are a poor substitute. Given that it would have only two driving cabs instead of four it might have even been cheaper for Rotem to make!
Unread 10-07-2012, 17:23   #27
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

The contract is fixed, any variance is a cost.

The entire fleet is still wired to allow future installation of TPWS, the gap is there in the fuse board and the slot on the drivers console is plated over.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2012, 18:13   #28
Jamie2k9

Quote:
I kinda wish they would have negotiated a change - like a 6 <a class="inlineAdmedialink" href="#">car</a> First with TPWS to replace the 2 x 3. Eventually the DDs are going to have to be overhauled and the C3Ks and econ/TPWS 22s are a poor substitute. Given that it would have only two driving cabs instead of four it might have even been cheaper for Rotem to make!
They have 4 sets of 7 coaches and currently 3 sets are only being used, they used to be 3 sets of 8 coaches but were reduced a few years ago which has allowed a full fourth set to be formed. (used for testing EGV recently)

If an overhaul was required it could still be done without affecting passenger services but would take longer. If wiki is correct they entred service in 1997 and IR say a full overhaul is required every 15 years which would mean its due this year for Belfast fleet.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2012, 14:49   #29
Thomas J Stamp
Chairman/Publicity

Quote:
i would imagine so. 10/11, i think that 60/61 is in effect their replacement, but i could be wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inniskeen View Post
Dont see how sets 60 and 61 could be a replacement for 10 and 11 unless Irish Rail have negotiated a reduction in the order.
i said i could be wrong, i dont see the need for smart-arsery.
Unread 11-07-2012, 16:55   #30
dowlingm

61 has been seen on trial runs so presumably it (and possibly another, IE seeming to mostly add 22s in pairs the last few months) will be in service soon.
Unread 11-07-2012, 21:22   #31
Inniskeen
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
i said i could be wrong, i dont see the need for smart-arsery.
Don't see what your problem is to be honest. I still don't know why two randomly selected sets (60 and 61) out of 17 new sets (47 to 63) could be deemed a replacement for sets 10 and 11. You were speculating (which is fair enough), I was merely questioning your conclusion.

If you know sets 60 and 61 replace 10 and 11, fair enough, if not I don't think it is unreasonable to point out that what you are suggesting isn't particularly logical.

Sorry if I upset you.
Unread 11-07-2012, 21:29   #32
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

I personally don't care what number is on the front it doesn't matter

Rotem under contract had to build two replacement units due the damage during shipping.

The fleet will be 234 in size when complete.

And yes Irish Rail do get some financial benefit from the late delivery
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-07-2012, 21:53   #33
Inniskeen
Really Regular Poster

Can't say I am too pushed either although the numbers do give a clue to whats happening !