Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > Mallow-Cork-Cobh/Midleton
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
Unread 24-08-2009, 08:58   #61
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Software is done remotely

Its frequently cheaper to buy a ticket to Cork and a ticket from there to Dublin. There was to be a staff presence for the first few weeks at Midleton but it never happened, even though it was advertised internally in Irish Rail

Little Island and Carrigtwohill have TVM's. Glounethaune is currently staffed
Unread 24-08-2009, 15:08   #62
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by comcor View Post
Some observations
  • Almost no cars in the car park in Midleton, but loads parked in the surrounding housing estates (this will gradually become an issue)
This can be a problem. The solution, if needed is to put a time limit on parking or do pay & display and issue bona fide residents with residents permits for the cost of the administrative fee.

Midleton and Carrigtwohill appear to be integrated on the on-line timetable and maps http://www.irishrail.ie/home/maps/co...490&field=from

Just beware of the last connection from Carrigtwohill to Cobh at night - bring a sleeping bag.
Attached Images
File Type: gif Carrigtwohill-Cobh.GIF (12.1 KB, 1833 views)
Unread 02-09-2009, 13:54   #63
comcor
Really Regular Poster

Location: Cork-Dublin, Cork Commuter and occasionally DART and Dublin-Wexford

Although the engineering works that caused the bus substitutions are supposed to be ending this week, the online timetable seems to indicate that it will be going on for at least another week.

Are these related to the Lower Glanmire Road bridge?

And as the train crawls going through the bridge construction site, can we expect journey times to be reduced, even by only a minute, when its done?
Unread 02-09-2009, 14:02   #64
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Works will continue till at least the end of the month

New signaling has to be installed and commissioned, thats one of the reasons behind the crawl

Any time saving will be offset by the new Dunkettle station if it ever gets built
Unread 14-09-2009, 14:15   #65
finnyus

Midleton Station & Carrigtwohill Station are still not on the TVM's! Got to Kent Station yesterday at 13:45, queued for 16minutes at the booking office due large crowds heading on the 14:30 to Dublin. Missed my train to Midleton, so ended up going to Glounthaune instead to get someone to pick me up!! Its madness with the line re-opened almost 2 months at this stage!
Unread 14-09-2009, 16:16   #66
comcor
Really Regular Poster

Location: Cork-Dublin, Cork Commuter and occasionally DART and Dublin-Wexford

The only time I used it so far, I almost didn't get it because of getting mixed up in the queues for tickets to Dublin. I naively thought I could arrive at Kent Station at 5 past the hour for a quarter past departure and have plenty of time. And yet the ticket vending machines were unused at the time.

I assume the service was quite heavily used over the weekend because of the Midleton Food Festival?
Unread 14-09-2009, 16:21   #67
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

A few extra trains ran, but as always they where not advertised
Unread 14-09-2009, 16:22   #68
finnyus

Quote:
Originally Posted by comcor View Post
The only time I used it so far, I almost didn't get it because of getting mixed up in the queues for tickets to Dublin. I naively thought I could arrive at Kent Station at 5 past the hour for a quarter past departure and have plenty of time. And yet the ticket vending machines were unused at the time.

I assume the service was quite heavily used over the weekend because of the Midleton Food Festival?
It must have been, I was not there myself, but a friend of mine lives close to Midletion station and said that a lot of people arriving by train on Saturday (4-car railcar operated on all Midleton services). A bus was provided from the station to the fair as well.

I have sent a letter off to Kent Station about the ticket machines not having Midleton & Carrigtwohill on them! Is mad that they do not have them on it - almost 2 months after it opening!
Unread 14-09-2009, 16:23   #69
finnyus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
A few extra trains ran, but as always they where not advertised
With all the heads in IE/CIE you would flippin' think one of them has some sort of marketing background!
Unread 14-09-2009, 16:25   #70
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

I do actually know the guy in charge of marketing

Its always a secret when there are extra Cobh line services on Sundays as well. Despite its troubles Cork actually seems to have sufficent independence to actually throw on extra local trains when the need arises. Thats where the problem lies its very last minute its only when we get a call or text to let us know and post on the site does management in Dublin know of the extra trains probably

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 14-09-2009 at 16:35.
Unread 14-09-2009, 16:29   #71
finnyus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
I do actually know the guy in charge of marketing

Its always a secret when there are extra Cobh line services on Sundays as well. Despite its troubles Cork actually seems to have sufficent independence to actually throw on extra local trains when the need arises.
Have you ever asked him what is with all the secrets like?

Some notice would be perfect like! I was on the 14:15 yesterday and it was well packed for Fota!

Yeah, fair play to Cork for the extra services. Next Sunday is an example of that!
Unread 14-09-2009, 16:39   #72
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Extra trains is service plannings call not marketing, marketing is fares and ticketing.

The business development manager in Cork likes to go it alone, I know the Midleton Food Festival was on the list of 'you gonna need more trains'.

We do our best to relay the information, but even we don't know all the time. Simplest thing is - if cruise ship in Cobh -> extra trains
Closed Thread