Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 30-09-2006, 14:46   #1
Derek Wheeler

Default Irish Rail User Groups

From the organisation that appears to be reluctant to recognise P11 as a representation body, comes this initiative. The committee has been following its progress.

Ive just received this particular material by email. I'd like to draw peoples attention to the "special incentives" being offered by Irish Rail to "participants".

Quote:
As part of our efforts to improve our service to our customers, Iarnród Éireann is setting up a number of customer user groups throughout the network.

These groups will enable us to get regular feedback from customers about their experiences while using the train service.

If you are a regular user of the train service we are interested in hearing from you.

If you are chosen to be a member of a user group you will be required to do the following:

Commuters – Complete a questionnaire about your experience for one journey per week and attend 3 meetings per year. For each meeting that you attend you will be given a 7 Day Rail rolling short hop ticket for the Greater Dublin area. After 18 months, all those who are still actively participating in their user group will be given a weekend Railbreak voucher for 2 adults.

Intercity Customers – Complete a questionnaire about your experience for two journeys per month and attend 3 meetings per year. For each meeting that you attend you will be given a €20 gift voucher which can be redeemed against future train tickets.

After 18 months, all those who are still actively participating in their user group will be given a weekend Railbreak voucher for 2 adults.

If you feel that you are available to make the commitment to completing the questionnaires and attending the 3 meetings then please complete the attached application form
The questions I'd like to pose are, how "independent" can a participant be, when accepting gifts in return for participating. While I understand that incentives are a helpful way to encourage participation, how appropriate are the gifts in the context of user groups that will undoubtedly have complaints.

There are certain words I could use to describe this, but I'll check with the legal team first.
Derek Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30-09-2006, 15:38   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Well I worked out its costing them if it works out about €5,000 maybe a lot more

The incentives are not much good if you have an annual ticket anyway

Needless to say if I was to sit on one of these groups I would refuse the freebies, actually what IE are doing might in fact be in breech of there own group code of ethics

As Derek has pointed out a similar thing in NI, similar 'incentives' passengers report it to be a pointless exercise

Put it this way 10 months on 3 letters and the threat of legal inforcement a certain manager in IE refuses to place a simple notice on the DART fleet, same notice already exists 29000 and Mk4, best of luck trying. Everything else promised in writting has not been delivered either. If we can't get a result where the law backs us what hope for joe passenger ?

BTW the only reason this exists is since IE gave the DoT an undertaking on standards. Strangely 3 or so weeks after I contacted the DoT on the matter of service standards seeking full disclosure IE start to do things they promised years ago

Coincidence ??

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 30-09-2006 at 15:45.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30-09-2006, 16:17   #3
Derek Wheeler

Quote:
As Derek has pointed out a similar thing in NI, similar 'incentives' passengers report it to be a pointless exercise
Translink have a similar group on the Larne line.When Mark and I discovered it,we thought it was a great idea. But further research proved otherwise. It was so ineffective that an "independent" group was established. The concept of user groups is a good one and especially if its recognised by the operator. However "freebies" being brought into the equation is a little worrying. Furthermore, if it has failed up north (and from our experience IE management come across as still a tad too arrogant to fully understand customer involvement) then I predict it will fail down here.

Last edited by Derek Wheeler : 30-09-2006 at 16:19.
Unread 30-09-2006, 17:19   #4
comcor
Really Regular Poster

Location: Cork-Dublin, Cork Commuter and occasionally DART and Dublin-Wexford

Quote:
Commuters – Complete a questionnaire about your experience for one journey per week and attend 3 meetings per year. For each meeting that you attend you will be given a 7 Day Rail rolling short hop ticket for the Greater Dublin area. After 18 months, all those who are still actively participating in their user group will be given a weekend Railbreak voucher for 2 adults.

Intercity Customers – Complete a questionnaire about your experience for two journeys per month and attend 3 meetings per year. For each meeting that you attend you will be given a €20 gift voucher which can be redeemed against future train tickets.
And for those of you who commute outside the Greater Dublin area, **** you?
comcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30-09-2006, 17:25   #5
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Well they haven't worked it out fully

Strangely no call for DART passengers (ie me) or Heuston side
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30-09-2006, 19:23   #6
Derek Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson
Well they haven't worked it out fully

Strangely no call for DART passengers (ie me) or Heuston side
They probably think DART passengers are having a great oul time and as for Heuston, sure its the cream of the crop. That said, watch out for it.

As I said before, the principle of it is good, but I'd like to see, if its prepared to embrace all interested parties and engage on the basis of listening to and implementing creative ideas. But you have to appreciate that these guys (I speak from experience) do not like the idea of a non IE/CIE manager having more knowledge/creativity than they do. This makes them uncomfortable and threatens the integrity of their position as so called railway professionals.
Unread 01-10-2006, 19:06   #7
Oisin88

Quote:
Originally Posted by comcor
And for those of you who commute outside the Greater Dublin area, **** you?
That's me. But since I have an annual ticket that I use to commute on an inter-city the inducements aren't much good.
Oisin88 is offline   Reply With Quote