Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Galway
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 22-07-2006, 11:05   #1
TomB

Default Lost Property: Dublin-Galway route

My significant other left something behind on a Dublin-Galway train. Her experience has highlighted some reasons why IE lost property and customer service is pretty crap.

Firstly: the 01 phone book only lists lost property offices in Dublin and Cork, is that all there is?

Secondly: other half tried ringing lost property in Heuston twice on Monday and 5 times on Thursday -- hasn't managed to actually speak to someone after seven attempts.

Another example of the terrible customer service ethic within our national rail company. There are two possibilities: there's someone there but not picking up the phone, there normally isn't someone there. If it's the former, surely this is an easy thing for someone to find out? And if it's the latter, how hard it is to re-route the phone calls to general customer service so at least you can talk to someone to get some information?

Has anyone else had experiences, good/bad, with IE lost property?
TomB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22-07-2006, 11:18   #2
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

You should call the station master in Galway far more likely get a result

I've heard of passengers leaving something behind on a platform on the DART a few phone calls later the item arrives on the next train, thats local staff iniitative not something orgainsed

Dublin Bus to be fair seem to have a decent lost property setup, in this day and age lost property tends to be blown up

Last edited by Mark Gleeson : 22-07-2006 at 11:22.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22-07-2006, 14:45   #3
al2637

For all the complaining I do about the CIE group of companies, I must say the one thing they actually have right is the DB lost property. They've helped me recover stuff on several occasions!

Sounds like they need to give IE a few lessons.
al2637 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-07-2006, 17:58   #4
Oisin88

Dublin Bus lost property is Excellent. I left dry cleaning on the 90 and was able to pick it behind cleary's.

On the other hand, Irish Rail get the crap award. I left a Flash Disk with ALOT of work on it on my usual Galway-Dublin train. I realised 2 hours later. Heuston were useless. Galway said to ring in the morning after they had a look at the train. No sign of it anywhere.
Oisin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-07-2006, 20:21   #5
Derek Wheeler

Great issue Bibby.

Now post suggestions or email and we can get moving on it. This is exactly the kind of avenue that P11 is still striving to go down.
Derek Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-07-2006, 21:24   #6
Mark

Lost property on DB is very good. I know many people that have been 'saved' by DB's lost property.

When I was younger I remember leaving stuff under seats on DARTS constantly and the station masters would arrange for the driver to pick it up.
Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-07-2006, 09:16   #7
Colm Donoghue
Really Regular Poster

I left a geansai on the train home last winter.
rang Drogheda station next day and they had found it, said to call in to collect it. So I did. surprisingly easy I thought.
Colm Donoghue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-07-2006, 09:27   #8
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Point is simple ring where the train was going thats where the lost items will be removed from the train

Local front line staff tend to be helpful, head office bureaucracy won't get you a result
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 25-07-2006, 14:06   #9
Colm Donoghue
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson
Point is simple ring where the train was going thats where the lost items will be removed from the train

Local front line staff tend to be helpful, head office bureaucracy won't get you a result
maybe put this on the front page?
Colm Donoghue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26-07-2006, 18:18   #10
sandraoh
Regular Poster

I left a holdall type bag between the seats of a train around christmas. I rang Hueston minutes after leaving the station and was told the train was still there and that someone would go an check if the bag was. I was put on hold and then cut off. I rang back and was told that no one would be available to check for half an hour and the train would have been gone by then. They said they would ring me back in half an hour to let me know if the cleaners had found it. I rang back an hour later and they told me to ring lost property. Lost property didn't answer the phone. Rang the station again and they told me the train was going to limerick and that they would ring limerick for me. I rang limerick myself a half an hour later and they hadnt heard from dublin but said they would check the train when it got in. They found it and sent it back up to Dublin. I rang Dublin to see how I should go about getting the bag and they told me if I would be best to meet the train when it got back into the station. I got off work early and when I got to the station I had to explain the whole story again because no one knew what I was talking about. I was told that the guy had come with the bags from that train and that my bag wasn't there. I then saw the guy will a golf buggy thing full of bags stopped having a big chat with other orange coated people. I eventually got my bag back and was very happy until I opened it and found that a wrapped christmas present which had been inside had been stolen.

Phew... that was a long story.
sandraoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26-07-2006, 20:47   #11
Derek Wheeler

....and very believable Sandra.

Lost property has joined the ever growing list of issues that P11 is going to persue in the short term.

Keep them coming. Both positive and negative.
Derek Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote