Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > General Information & Discussion > Rail Users Ireland Canteen
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 18-05-2010, 13:15   #1
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Default [PR] Public Lecture "Building a Cycling Culture"

Hi,

Under a different hat, I'm a member of Dublin Cycling Campaign and we have our annual lecture coming up this week. Feel free to drop in.

Colm

Quote:
Dear Dublin Cycling Campaign member / supporter,

A date for your diary - Thursday 20th May at 7.30pm – for this year's Annual Cycling Lecture to be given by renowned cycling academic Dr. Dave Horton.

Dr. Horton is a sociologist in Lancaster University and his lecture is entitled "Building a Cycling Culture". An abstract of his paper and pen profile are at the bottom of this mail. A poster can be found on: www.dublincycling.ie

Our Annual Lecture is one of our most enjoyable events with 250+ attending over the last few years. Do please spread the word and see you in the Burke Theatre in the Arts Building in Trinity College, just off Nassau St. The Minister for Transport, Noel Dempsey T.D., will open the evening so it is REALLY important that we have a large audience on the night to demonstrate the strength of the cycling community.

If you'd like to join the speaker and organisers for a pre-lecture dinner, please email stephen {at} ryanit.ie giving your details and, if possible, please come along to the DCC meeting on Mon 10th May to leave a deposit (€5). We propose to eat at 5.45 / 6.00pm in a reasonably priced city centre restaurant (still to be decided) leaving time to get to Trinity by 7.30pm. There will be a post-lecture social in Le Cirk bar from 9.30 til late. (This bar fronts onto Dame St. and backs onto the lane alongside the Stag's Head pub.) All welcome. Details to follow on www.dublincycling.ie

PLEASE FORWARD THIS MAIL (+ poster) to all of your cycling friends / colleagues and persuade them to come along. If you are on Facebook, please consider "sharing" the event on your home page and inviting friends. See: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?...1813707&ref=mf

From experience the best way to persuade friends to attend is the old fashioned face-to-face invitation and arm-twisting, and by giving them a poster! I'll leave copies of the poster and flyers in the Square Wheel Bicycle Shop on Temple Lane South, if anyone has a little time to give them out to cyclists (including the Dublin Bikes users.)

Finally, if you haven't read it, the latest Dublin Cycling Campaign newsletter is available on: http://www.dublincycling.ie/sites/du...etter-RevA.pdf

Thanks all – DON'T MISS THE BICYCLE LECTURE!

Damien Ó Tuama
Events Group
Dublin Cycling Campaign
www.dublincycling.ie

What do we mean by cycling culture? And what don't we mean? What does a cycling culture look like, and do we need one? Are cycling sub-cultures a help or a hindrance to the establishment of a cycling culture? My talk will explore such questions, and aims to provoke discussions about how we might build an inclusive cycling culture, both spatially (on the ground, in the design of cities such as Dublin) and ideologically (within politics, the media and the hearts and minds of citizens). I believe not only that these kinds of questions and issues are well worth thinking about and discussing as we keep working towards making cycling a very major means of urban mobility, but also that asking such questions and provoking such discussions is an integral part of the work of making cycling
mainstream.

Dave Horton is a sociologist at Lancaster Environment Centre, Lancaster University, UK. In 2004 he organised the event at which the Cycling and Society Research Group was established. The Group champions social and cultural approaches to cycling, and organises an annual Symposium, the 7th of which is to be held at Oxford University in September 2010. Dave is co-editor (with Paul Rosen and Peter Cox) of Cycling and Society (Ashgate, 2007), and is currently undertaking qualitative research exploring cultures of cycling and non-cycling across four English cities.

PDF: http://www.dublincycling.ie/sites/du...ton-LowRes.pdf

http://www.dublincycling.ie/horton
Unread 17-06-2010, 17:39   #2
CorkALVIN
New to the board

Default Bike campaign

As a long-term member of Dublin Cycling Campaign, although not as active currently as a few years back, I'm keen on helping to formulate a proper Bike-Friendly policy on IE trains; I'll provide more details in due course, but for example, all offpeak DART/Suburban trains in Dublin, and the Cork-Cobh and Cork-Midleton Services, should immediately be made accessible to passengers with bikes; this will cost IE NOTHING, and indeed will bring in a LOT of extra revenue, especially at weekends/holidays.
CorkALVIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18-06-2010, 15:54   #3
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

We have been working on this.
Unread 21-06-2010, 02:27   #4
dowlingm
Really Really Regluar Poster

In Toronto, all subway services are okay for bikes off peak, and most bus services have front mounted racks to carry two bikes.

See also this:
http://biketrain.ca/

Last edited by dowlingm : 21-06-2010 at 02:29.
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21-06-2010, 11:56   #5
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colm Moore View Post
We have been working on this.
All services nationwide with the following exceptions carry bikes

DART
Dublin - Maynooth/Longford/Drogheda/Dundalk/Gorey/Enniscorthy/Wexford
Cork - Cobh/Midleton/Mallow

The timetable now clearly states which routes and which trains carry bikes, this is due to us pointing out EC/1371/2007 requires this information to be made available before train.

Safety issues remain as no DART or commuter train is fitted with any appropriate racks or restraints to ensure a bike is secured while on the train. I don't see this being resolvable without significant capital expense but the rack could compromise capacity at peak hour. Safety is the key concern and no compromises are acceptable

The accepted industry approach is bike parking at stations which can cope with greater numbers.

Further expansion of bike facilities is dependent on a significant uptake on the facilities provided for intercity and regional services.
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21-06-2010, 12:48   #6
finnyus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
All services nationwide with the following exceptions carry bikes

DART
Dublin - Maynooth/Longford/Drogheda/Dundalk/Gorey/Enniscorthy/Wexford
Cork - Cobh/Midleton/Mallow
I didnt realise that it was not possible to take bikes on the Cork - Midleton trains. Last Wednesday morning I took my bike on the 06:45 Midleton - Cork. Nothing was said to me, due to there being no ticket checker, either on the train or @ Kent Station.

I was in Swansea last weekend, cycled Swansea - Burry Port, no probs putting bikes on the trains there.
finnyus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21-06-2010, 12:56   #7
markpb

Quote:
Safety issues remain as no DART or commuter train is fitted with any appropriate racks or restraints to ensure a bike is secured while on the train.
How do other countries get around this? Lots of cities allow unsecured bikes on trains outside of rush hour. Los Angeles, London, Parisand New York. Isn't it shocking how other countries allow some common sense to prevail.

Last edited by markpb : 21-06-2010 at 12:59.
markpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21-06-2010, 13:12   #8
finnyus

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpb View Post
How do other countries get around this? Lots of cities allow unsecured bikes on trains outside of rush hour. Los Angeles, London, Parisand New York. Isn't it shocking how other countries allow some common sense to prevail.
To add to that list:

Arriva Wales: http://www.arrivatrainswales.co.uk/Bicycles/
VVS (Stuttgart): http://www.vvs.de/tickets/mitnahme-von-fahrraedern/

Why does everything need capital investment in the country before anything is done?

The 06:45 last Wednesday had 40 ppl on the train. There was plenty of room* for bikes. *No dedicated bike space, but there was room.

In Stuttgart on all trams, outside of peak-time, bikes can be conveyed on them. Regional and InterCity trains have dedicated space (in some cases dedicated carriages) for bikes.

Here it should be possible to be able to cycle to work (via using the train where possible).

Last Tuesday I cycled Model Farm Road (work) to Midleton. Wednesday morning, I cycled from home to Midleton station (about 2km), bought my ticket, put bike on the train (which did not interfere with anyone boarding or disembarking from the train), arrived in Cork with ticket out, no one wanted to look at the ticket, cycled off to work.

Along with the lack of information in Midleton station, or any other East Cork station, there is nothing about taking bikes on trains.
Unread 21-06-2010, 14:11   #9
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Safety should be addressed and if a mechanism can be found to ensure a bike can be secured as to not cause an obstruction there is no problem

On a 2600 set in Cork, it would require seats to be removed adjacent to the toilet and a rack of some kind fitted.

The key is a space which does not obstruct entry/exit and that if the train is involved in an accident that the bike does not obstruct an exit or cause injury
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 21-06-2010, 14:13   #10
finnyus

Quote:
On a 2600 set in Cork, it would require seats to be removed adjacent to the toilet and a rack of some kind fitted.
Maybe the toilets could be removed? No need for a toilet on a commuter train where the route is less than 15miles in length. Though, from time-to-time the 2600's are used on the Mallow - Tralee runs.
Unread 21-06-2010, 21:43   #11
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Spoke to Ciarán Cuffe, TD, Minister for Everything last week. He wrote to RPA and Irish Rail two weeks ago on this.
Unread 08-07-2010, 17:14   #12
CorkALVIN
New to the board

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnyus View Post
Maybe the toilets could be removed? No need for a toilet on a commuter train where the route is less than 15miles in length. Though, from time-to-time the 2600's are used on the Mallow - Tralee runs.

You must have been very lucky to have had no problem with staff challenging you bringing a bike on board Midleton-Cork services. Since I have started using them, I always dismantle and pack my bike in bags and put it in the space near the toilet which is supposed to be for wheelchairs, and the ticket checker/controller seems to always be happy that it is not a problem, although I dont know what he would say if I took it on board without dismantling it. It would be good if IE could clarify the issue over this line, because Cork-Midleton is NOT exclusively a commuter route, it is also a 'Cross-Country'/'Inter-Regio' route, albeit a short one, especially as trains often go between Midleton and Mallow rather than terminating at Cork.

Even in the case of the DART being off limits to bikes at all times, the excuses about 'safety' or 'no space to put bikes' are plainly NONSENSE, as the DART trains have large amounts of space with no seats for standing passengers which are ONLY used in rush hours and are similar to the seatless standing spaces in trains in cities such as New York, Amsterdam, London, etc. which cyclists can quite happily use for their bikes at any time outside evenings and mornings on Monday-Friday. Just last weekend in London, I took my bike on one of the new OVERGROUND trains on the East London Line Route, from Forest Hill to Shoreditch and there was no problem for me and two other cyclists to take our bikes with us, even when getting off at a station with steps to street level and automatic barriers. A very helpful member of staff even helped me with my bike through the wide 'wheelchair' gate in the barriers onto Mile End Road.

BTW, about removal of toilets from 2600 trains to provide more cycle spaces on the Midleton Route, my opinion on the long term future of the route is that it will be electrified within the next 10 years, and Tram-Type LRV vehicles will be used instead so as to enable a Light Rail link through the centre of Cork put to places like Bishopstown, Wilton, Mahon, etc. In many Dutch and German cities, bicycles can easily be taken on trams on the off-peak, as tram vehicles also have large amounts of standing room. the heavy diesel railcars such as the 2600 class are unsuited in the long term to a route like Cork-Midleton and Cork-Cobh as they are too heavy and over-engineered for light branchline/regional/commuter use. Even if Cork-Midleton and a future extension to youghal are not electrified, there are far superior more lightweight diesel units available from manufacturers such as Siemens in Germany, and Bombardier, (e. g. the 'Regio Sprinter' and 'Regio Shuttle') with more room for standing passengers, bicycles, etc.
CorkALVIN is offline   Reply With Quote