Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > General Irish Rail Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 22-06-2014, 07:38   #221
berneyarms
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by haddockman View Post
There is nothing to stop the locals from travelling to the airport to stock up on the cards. I assume they will sell them to anyone?
Do you seriously think people are going to trek out to the airport in large numbers just to buy a transport ticket?
berneyarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22-06-2014, 08:21   #222
markpb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inniskeen View Post
Ticket should be available everywhere but should only be valid with a non Irish passport, the number of which should be on the ticket.
What about tourists from the UK who don't require a passport to get here?
markpb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22-06-2014, 09:07   #223
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

They can't refuse to sell you the ticket on the basis of nationality
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 22-06-2014, 22:19   #224
Traincustomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
But not available from Dublin Port, Dun Laoghaire Port or any official tourist information office.
I share this view that it should be available to ferry foot passengers entering the country via the two Dublin Bay ports.
Traincustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-06-2014, 18:46   #225
Inniskeen
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
They can't refuse to sell you the ticket on the basis of nationality
It is not particularly unusual for tickets to be sold on the basis of country of residence (using passports as the control) - BritRail passes can be purchased by holders of non-UK passports.

Most European cities have one, two and three day tickets, generally available to everybody - this is probably the way the Dublin ticket will evolve. This type of ticket is very convenient for tourists and other visitors as it avoids continually battling with unfamiliar ticket machines and mastering local peculiarities.
Inniskeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-06-2014, 19:18   #226
berneyarms
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
It is not particularly unusual for tickets to be sold on the basis of country of residence (using passports as the control) - BritRail passes can be purchased by holders of non-UK passports.

Most European cities have one, two and three day tickets, generally available to everybody - this is probably the way the Dublin ticket will evolve. This type of ticket is very convenient for tourists and other visitors as it avoids continually battling with unfamiliar ticket machines and mastering local peculiarities.
Local residents can already avail of daily/weekly capping rates.

The number of tickets is being reduced drastically to reflect this.
berneyarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-06-2014, 20:09   #227
haddockman
Regular Poster

Quote:

How does a passport show the country of residence? As I said earlier plenty of Irish passport holders are not resident in Ireland and are thus resident elsewhere.

I think your idea is flawed.
haddockman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 23-06-2014, 21:49   #228
bg07

Quote:
How does a passport show the country of residence? As I said earlier plenty of Irish passport holders are not resident in Ireland and are thus resident elsewhere.

Interrail tickets are either not valid or only valid for partial discounts for residents of a particular country when travelling in their country of residence.

Link

When I was using some inspectors asked specifically to see ID and I used a passport. I presume other forms of ID other than a passport would be accepted to prove your country of residency. If they wanted they could enforce a similar system here but I doubt it would be worth the hassle.
bg07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 24-06-2014, 12:03   #229
Inniskeen
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by berneyarms View Post
Local residents can already avail of daily/weekly capping rates.

The number of tickets is being reduced drastically to reflect this.
Capping is fine for regular users, not much use for occasional visitors be they Irish residents or otherwise. London has the Oyster card but you can still purchase a one day ticket from a vending machine. Two and Three day tickets are also available.

Don't see any reason why tickets with similar validity shouldn't be available in Dublin at all major visitor entry points and tourist offices and preferably at TVMs around the city. They can be priced attractively without undermining revenue from regular commuters.
Unread 24-06-2014, 12:11   #230
Inniskeen
Really Regular Poster

Quote:

Although not perfect there is a fairly good correspondence between passport and residence. Requiring a passport is probably over the top for a low cost urban transport ticket that is really useful for convenience and needn't be priced at a level that makes it overly attractive to regular commuters. It would be better to have these tickets easily available either from all citywide vending machines or at least from all major transport hubs and tourist office. Minimum hassle, maximum convenience.
Unread 07-01-2015, 22:22   #231
Eddie
Really Regular Poster

Does anyone know if I can use my Dublin Leap Card on public transport in another region, eg Cork buses for example? Or would I have to obtain a separate Cork Leap Card?
Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2015, 23:15   #232
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

One card does all
Unread 08-01-2015, 22:51   #233
comcor
Really Regular Poster

Location: Cork-Dublin, Cork Commuter and occasionally DART and Dublin-Wexford

In practice, it depends.

A Leap Card will work fine on Bus Eireann buses in Cork and Galway, but not other cities yet.

On Irish Rail, the only place it works outside the Dublin region is on Cork-Cobh/Midleton, and there it only works if you are loading passes onto it, not for pay as you go fares.
comcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2015, 20:20   #234
Eddie
Really Regular Poster

Thanks - that's helpful.

Incidentally - can a "Thanks" comment be incorporated into threads so the message can be conveyed without the need to add a new message, like they have on Boards.ie?
Unread 10-01-2015, 21:34   #235
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

It can if you pay the significant upgrade fees to vBulletin
Unread 16-05-2015, 22:01   #236
Eddie
Really Regular Poster

Ensure you keep a regular check on your Leap Card history, as system errors resulting in overcharging are not being refunded on claims after more than 30 days.
Unread 26-05-2015, 21:33   #237
Traincustomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie View Post
Ensure you keep a regular check on your Leap Card history, as system errors resulting in overcharging are not being refunded on claims after more than 30 days.
In my view the Leap Card section of the NTA could and should have refunded this money to you as a once off goodwill gesture while drawing attention to the 30 day policy.
Traincustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28-05-2015, 10:01   #238
comcor
Really Regular Poster

Location: Cork-Dublin, Cork Commuter and occasionally DART and Dublin-Wexford

Any word on when Pay As You Go Leap will be available on Cork Commuter services

I see a covered-up validator at Cobh station now.
comcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28-05-2015, 13:59   #239
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Validators are in, back end software and a fares determination are now required, can't test without the fares
Unread 28-05-2015, 17:04   #240
bg07

Cork suburban rail leap epurse fares were included in the last fare determination so fare determination is not an issue.

https://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-...tober_2014.pdf
bg07 is offline   Reply With Quote