Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Rosslare
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 08-02-2013, 14:43   #21
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

No, if you have a few million cash handy that could change
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2013, 19:28   #22
Inniskeen
Really Regular Poster

Tens of millions have already spent on the route - and as elsewhere not much to show for it. Dublin/Wexford/Rosslare service is unnecessarily slow, is often operated by sub-standard rolling stock and offers only skeletal service frequency.

I don't think Irish Rail have sufficient interest or appetite to make any worthwhile improvements any time soon.
Inniskeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2013, 00:38   #23
Jamie2k9
Really Really Regluar Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inniskeen View Post
Tens of millions have already spent on the route - and as elsewhere not much to show for it. Dublin/Wexford/Rosslare service is unnecessarily slow, is often operated by sub-standard rolling stock and offers only skeletal service frequency.

I don't think Irish Rail have sufficient interest or appetite to make any worthwhile improvements any time soon.
What have millions being spend on besides the signal upgrade. I have only used the line twice before and that was 2005/6.
Jamie2k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2013, 20:07   #24
Inniskeen
Really Regular Poster

Track and bridge renewal, level crossing upgrades/automation, fencing and coastal defence works would account for a fair amount of the spend.
Inniskeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2013, 18:15   #25
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

The real problem remains the inability to operate six-coach ICRs.
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 15-02-2013, 20:59   #26
sublimity
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Ralph View Post
The real problem remains the inability to operate six-coach ICRs.
Indeed. It needs to be resolved in the next year.

If enough commuters/ TD's/ County Councillors on this line complain then we might see some development?

Still cant believe 29000 are being used on some Wexford services in 2013
sublimity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 18-02-2013, 11:59   #27
KSW
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublimity View Post
Indeed. It needs to be resolved in the next year.

If enough commuters/ TD's/ County Councillors on this line complain then we might see some development?

Still cant believe 29000 are being used on some Wexford services in 2013
I seen 29000 operating a few Wexford services,It shouldn't be allowed as its branded InterCity!! This line really needs an upgrade in terms of number of services and the time it takes. The upgraded signal project has had no impact on time what so ever. Personally speaking I have stopped taking the train as its more expensive for a longer journey than the 1hr30min Bus Eireann Gorey-Dublin. I would like to see 6coach 22k sets with online booking in use but I don't think the demand is there as IE has seriously run down the line
KSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 26-11-2013, 17:28   #28
eain
New to the board

It seems that the service is getting worse. The last few weeks the normal 22's on the 7:43 ex Wex and the 18:38 ex Con have been sorely missed. Is this a permanent change ? The 29's are in bad shape. The noise and cavitation when accelerating is terrible , as is the wifi coverage. First world problem's it true but as a commuter who goes up and down at least three days a week it makes a huge difference.

Last edited by eain : 26-11-2013 at 19:43.
eain is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 30-11-2013, 19:31   #29
dowlingm

One would hope that all this reformation business will soon see effect on the one line whose platform lengths actually suit 4-car 22s.
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2013, 11:40   #30
shweeney
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowlingm View Post
One would hope that all this reformation business will soon see effect on the one line whose platform lengths actually suit 4-car 22s.
the 1736 Connolly - Wexford has changed from 4-car 29000s to 4-car 22000s in the last few weeks.
shweeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2013, 15:03   #31
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

That is a permanent change
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2013, 18:47   #32
sublimity
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Gleeson View Post
That is a permanent change
All services should be 4 coach 22000's going forward
Unread 03-12-2013, 19:40   #33
James Howard

That must be where our 22k went to for the 1805 to Longford. Gumble grumble.

I agree that any service going more than an hour from Dublin should be operated as 22k instead of a 29k. I saw somebody complaining on boards.ie about bicycles blocking the exits on a 22k operating a Docklands service. For God's sake what are they doing using a 22k for this service?

I know there are all kinds of arguments about schedules and the need to rotate rolling stock up to Drogheda for maintenance but this is messing with everyone. The shorter distance services are more comfortable for everybody operated with 29Ks while the longer distance ones are more comfortable with 22Ks.

Irish Rail need to cop on and do the same as every other rail operator in the planet and properly divide local and longer-distance traffic which have vastly different rolling stock requirements.
James Howard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2013, 20:10   #34
sublimity
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Howard View Post

I agree that any service going more than an hour from Dublin should be operated as 22k instead of a 29k. I saw somebody complaining on boards.ie about bicycles blocking the exits on a 22k operating a Docklands service. For God's sake what are they doing using a 22k for this service?

I know there are all kinds of arguments about schedules and the need to rotate rolling stock up to Drogheda for maintenance but this is messing with everyone. The shorter distance services are more comfortable for everybody operated with 29Ks while the longer distance ones are more comfortable with 22Ks.

Irish Rail need to cop on and do the same as every other rail operator in the planet and properly divide local and longer-distance traffic which have vastly different rolling stock requirements.
Well said sir
Unread 03-12-2013, 20:22   #35
berneyarms
Really Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Howard View Post

The real problem is what you've alluded to in the middle paragraph, i.e. getting the sets to Drogheda for maintenance and returning them to Connolly in time to get back in service. It's also not helped by one 22k being in Sligo from 1800 in the evening until 1100 the next morning. That reduces options significantly.

They ultimately need a new timetable to be able to roster the sets more appropriately, and also recast driver rosters where appropriate. That's something that will happen in the spring I'd imagine.
berneyarms is offline   Reply With Quote