Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Commuter Services > Limerick Ennis
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 29-09-2008, 02:48   #21
dowlingm
Really Really Regluar Poster

if Nenagh-Limerick-Nenagh has been classed as successful, I'm curious as to what "unsuccessful" would have looked like...
dowlingm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2008, 19:55   #22
Jister

There is an article in The Clare Courier about the station at sixmilebridge
News that work will begin shortly on reopening Sixmilebridge railway station has been broadly welcomed by councillors in Shannon, but for one councillor in particular, it brought back fond memories of living in the station house.

Earlier this year Clare County Council acquired two acres of land and Cllr Patricia McCarthy’s family home, which was still occupied by her father John O’Connell, for a reported sum of €750,000.
Mr O’Connell had worked on the West Clare Railway, immortalised in song by Percy Ffrench, until its closure and had been relocated to Sixmilebridge as station master in 1959.
Last week his daughter Patricia was delighted to hear that work will begin shortly on the station and it is intended to resume services during 2009.
The announcement came during a presentation given to the Shannon area councillors’ committee by Fiona Mooney and Eilis Ní Nuanain.
Reopening of the Sixmilebridge station comes under stage one of the Western Rail Corridor. Track work has been ongoing since 2007 and will be completed next year.
Car parking facilities will be available with spaces for eighty vehicles, including three disabled bays. Fees will be broadly similar to other similar stations at €2 per day or €8 per week for commuters. These charges will help to defray the cost of a CCTV security system.
Iarnród Éireann intend to relocate the platform from alongside the station house as technical specifications on track gradients have changed.
According to Ms. Mooney the station house itself will not be required for rail operations and the ticket dispenser will be available on the platform. Some ground has been purchased from the Brothers of Charity to improve access.
In reply to a query, Cllr Gerry Flynn was informed that the station house is not a protected structure. “It should be because that it a landmark in Sixmilebridge,” he said.
When he asked if this means it could be bulldozed, Ms Mooney said no, the intention is to have it refurbished and put to a commercial use.
Cllr Flynn was also concerned that people living adjacent to the station should be consulted on the development as the reopened station would have a huge impact on their lives.
Ms Mooney said that the local authority had consulted with the Brothers of Charity but not with the wider community. Cllr Flynn urged them to do so sooner rather than later.
Cllr John Crowe welcomed the development saying it would provide a massive boost for Shannon, Sixmilebridge and the entire East Clare area.
Cllr Pat McMahon said it will be brilliant for the whole area as it will link Sixmilebridge into the national rail network, giving people a viable alternative when travelling to any part of the country and improving access to Shannon Airport.
He added that the success of this station might change minds at Government level to introduce a series of local stations along the line.
Fiona Mooney said that the project will be going through Part VIII of the planning process in December and Iarnród Éireann will commence work in the new year.
She added that the work will include a short road closure of approximately two days to facilitate bridge works and the station will open in 2009.
Cllr Patricia McCarthy prefaced her remarks by saying that it is the first time in many years that she feels free to talk about the project because her father was the owner of the property in question.
“Even though I would have been prevented from speaking, I have been fully supportive of this proposal and keen to see it come to a conclusion.
Cllr McCarthy recalled her family arriving at the station house in 1959. “It was a nice place to live and a fine house and I know my father will be delighted to know that the building is going to be preserved.
“Structurally it is sound and I look forward to see it being put into active use again. This is a very welcome development for the area.
“For us as a family it’s great because we left Kilrush before the closure of the West Clare railway and arrived in Sixmilebridge to see another closure of a railway. I know that my father is happy that the railway station will be reopened.
“We had no desire to see our family home sold only for the opening of a railway. It’s been a long process, it was ten years ago or maybe longer when it first appeared that the logical place for a railway would be Sixmilebridge.
“We had conditioned ourselves to the fact that we were going to be selling our family home.
“I remember when it was a very active station with a lot of cattle and cargo passing through, sheep being moved and there was a lot of activity. Personally and speaking for the family, we are absolutely delighted it is going back into use again,” said Cllr McCarthy.
Jister is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2008, 19:56   #23
Jister

Also:
Any prospect of Newmarket-on-Fergus being linked to the rail network in the short-term has been kicked to touch by Iarnród Éireann.
Local councillor Pat McMahon has been making the case that Government policy is about promoting public transport and encouraging motorists to leave the car at home where possible.
In this regard he has argued that opening commuter stops along the route from Limerick to Ennis at Cratloe, Sixmilebridge and Newmarket would benefit the local communities by providing an effective alternative to the car.
However in a letter to the Shannon area councillors committee, the chief executive of Iarnród Éireann, Richard Fearn, said that it will not be happening.
He has restated the Minister for Transport’s position that the Transport 21 capital investment programme for rail does not include provision for reopening of Newmarket-on-Fergus station or for opening a new station at Cratloe.
“I regret therefore that Iarnród Éireann has no current plans to undertake these schemes,” said Mr Fearn.
In response Cllr McMahon said it was difficult to accept the logic of the reply as there are eight trains a day going to and fro on that track. Meanwhile provision has only been made for making one stop, at Sixmilebridge. He said that the issue will not go away.
Unread 04-12-2008, 03:15   #24
dowlingm

What the good councillor doesn't get is that one of the only things that has kept Ennis-Limerick alive with its dire speed restrictions is that it's non-stop. Sixmilebridge is fair enough but we can't go opening up every cattle loading dock... oh wait that's what IE is doing north of Gort...
Unread 04-12-2008, 09:11   #25
Jister

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowlingm View Post
What the good councillor doesn't get is that one of the only things that has kept Ennis-Limerick alive with its dire speed restrictions is that it's non-stop. Sixmilebridge is fair enough but we can't go opening up every cattle loading dock... oh wait that's what IE is doing north of Gort...
Agreed, SMB, Ennis, Gort and Athenry is enough. Regarding line speeds they are imporving all the time. The slow part was the section coming into Limerick station, don't know if this has been rectified.
Unread 04-12-2008, 13:23   #26
Tadhg17
Regular Poster

Default Get a move on.....

About time they got a move on with this and started the construction work. According to this article it still has to go through some planning process in December, i'll be happy when I see them starting work on the carpark and platform. They have been talking about this way too long. It's planned to re-open in April 2009 right?

That councillor looking for a stop in Newmarket is a joke. Anybody using a proposed stop in Newmarket would have to drive there as it is nowhere near the village. It's not like Sixmilebridge or Ennis are miles away from Newmarket
Unread 04-12-2008, 13:33   #27
comcor
Really Regular Poster

Location: Cork-Dublin, Cork Commuter and occasionally DART and Dublin-Wexford

I'm surprised that Newmarket-on-Fergus isn't reopening while Craughwell and Ardrahan are. Surely it has a much larger population?
comcor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2008, 18:11   #28
ccos

Quote:
Any prospect of Newmarket-on-Fergus being linked to the rail network in the short-term has been kicked to touch by Iarnród Éireann.
A rare moment of sanity perhaps?
ccos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2008, 21:21   #29
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
Local councillor Pat McMahon has been making the case that Government policy is about promoting public transport and encouraging motorists to leave the car at home where possible.
Pay for a station and pay for a train from local contributions and attitudes might change.
Unread 05-12-2008, 13:37   #30
Tadhg17
Regular Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by comcor View Post
I'm surprised that Newmarket-on-Fergus isn't reopening while Craughwell and Ardrahan are. Surely it has a much larger population?
Ya Newmarket-On-Fergus(village and area) would have a bigger population than Craughwell and Ardrahan combined(Ardrahan is tiny, waste of money opening a station there) but the railway line does'nt go anywhere near the village and with Sixmilebridge re-opening thats only 10 mins drive away from Newmarket. Sixmilebridge station re-opening will be well handy.

I grew up in Newmarket and nobody has any interest in re-opening a station on the line in Newmarket. The only person who brings this up is the councillor going on about it above. Ennis or Sixmilebridge are not that far away to catch the train there
Unread 07-12-2008, 01:33   #31
dowlingm

Mouth without responsibility - the prerogative of the local councillor throughout the ages.

(adapted from this)
Unread 01-02-2009, 19:16   #32
Alan French

Default How many stations?

The question of how many stations a line should have is always a difficult one. I think they have chosen the right humber of stations between Limerick and Galway to start with, but we mustn't fight against requests for more stations. If the number of stations needed is just too much to allow a decent journey time, then it's time to look at providing a mixture of fast and stopping trains. This is how other countries do it. If that needs more crossing loops to increase capacity, then let it be so, and press for them.

In fact it probably won't come to that; they are talking about seven trains a day, so there is some scope for adding new stops to some of the trains while keeping others limited-stop.

This is an important issue on this line, because there is quite a strong case for a station in the Limerick suburbs, as well as in growing villages like Cratloe. Those who are looking for more stations are potentially our allies, because they agree with us that road-based solutions are not all they are cracked up to be. If some proposal has to have a lower priority, let's call it that, and not pretend it isn't needed.

I'm not so sure about Newmarket, however. This is because once the journey to the station becomes a drive rather than a walk, people may as well drive to another station. Incidentally, I made this point in the consultation on the Navan line, relating to Dunshaughlin. I said they should avoid the cheaper option that doesn't serve Dunshaughlin properly, for this very reason.
Alan French is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-02-2009, 21:17   #33
Jister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan French View Post
This is an important issue on this line, because there is quite a strong case for a station in the Limerick suburbs, as well as in growing villages like Cratloe.
No way would they put a station in Cratloe. There are no housing estates there, just one off houses spread out over a huge area, and one or two clusters of about 5 or 6 houses. Most houses are a drive from the station so people would be almost into Limerick on the dualcarraigeway or upto Sixmilebridge station in the same time.

Any update on Sixmilebridge station work starting?

How long should it take once its up and running?
Unread 01-02-2009, 21:31   #34
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Lets face some facts, only Ennis and Gort are the only locations truly deserving of a station. Sixmilebridge might have a hope. What little hope of sensible planning died with the credit crunch no large scale development anytime soon

Time is money, for every 1% reduction in journey time it means more than 1% back in revenue

The problem with the WRC is the focus on non existent passenger flows instead of focusing on the Limerick and Galway commuter belts where there is business
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2009, 00:36   #35
dowlingm

Quote:
I think they have chosen the right humber of stations between Limerick and Galway to start with
Define your basis for choosing Ardrahan. Two stops *between* Gort and Athenry - 30km - at a time when the forecast sprawl into east Galway will be halted by developer bankruptcies is madness.
Quote:
but we mustn't fight against requests for more stations
It's not a question of fighting. It's a question of patronage and cost/benefit analysis. Nobody is owed a stop. There has to be ridership.
Unread 02-02-2009, 01:55   #36
dermo88

Agree Mark. One nice side effect of this recession is the lunacy of the "Build it and they will come" brigade will be exposed. Unfortunately, I don't have a country to go back to for around 10 years until the economy recovers, if it ever does. Personally I don't think it has a hope in hell for the next 3 years.

I could be immature and go to IRN, show them what I said in 2002. We knew it then, and its being proven now. The pearls of "wisdom" from the West Lobby have been exposed. I'm not happy to see it, it would be nice if they were right, and I was wrong, but we all knew that at the time.

So thats you stuck in Toronto, and I'm stuck in KL. At least the weathers hot, the foods better, the beer is more expensive, and the politicians are even more corrupt and incompetent than Ireland. If you thought such a thing was ever possible, but unfortunately, it is.

Last edited by dermo88 : 02-02-2009 at 01:57.
dermo88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2009, 19:05   #37
Colm Moore
Local Liaison Officer

Quote:
I think they have chosen the right humber of stations between Limerick and Galway to start with, but we mustn't fight against requests for more stations.
The problem there is you get ghost stations like Phoenix Park (no passengers) and Monasterevin (no trains). As stations cost anything from several hundred thousand euro to several million, you have to be careful of the diversion of resources.

Quote:
This is an important issue on this line, because there is quite a strong case for a station in the Limerick suburbs, as well as in growing villages like Cratloe.
From this, you can see Cratloe is largely bungalows spread out along country lanes - not the basis for a train station. Now if you put in a proper commerical core and a had a population of a few thousand, that would be another matter. At least Sixmilebridge has streets.

Ardrahan can be seen here: http://ims0.osiemaps.ie/website/publ...&ecom=S1&user= but you'll need to zoom in.

Quote:
Those who are looking for more stations are potentially our allies, because they agree with us that road-based solutions are not all they are cracked up to be. If some proposal has to have a lower priority, let's call it that, and not pretend it isn't needed.
Can I have a Luas stop outside my house please? More people live on my street that in some of these "villages".

2006 populations:
Craughwell + Ardrahan + Gort + Sixmilebridge + Cratloe = 5,931

Athenry 3,205 (4,042 in electoral division)
Craughwell 414 (1,363 in electoral division)
Ardrahan 480 (entire electoral division)
Gort 2,734 (2,782 in electoral division)
Ennis & environs 24,253 + population of west Clare
Sixmilebridge 1,659 (2,034 in electoral division)
Cratloe 643 (1,372 in electoral division)

How about providing for these first?
Swords 33,998
Navan 24,851
Letterkenny 17,586
Carrigaline 12,835
Midleton 10,048
Tramore 9,634
Shannon 9,222
Ashbourne 8,528
Dungarvan 8,362
Cavan 7,883
Nenagh 7,751
New Ross 7,709
Ratoath 7,249
Tuam 6,885
Trim 6,870
Youghal 6,785
Monaghan 6,710
Buncrana 5,911
Edenderry 5,888
Fermoy 5,873
Bandon 5,822
Dunboyne 5,713
Kells 5,248
Passage West 5,203
Newcastle West 5,098
Birr 5,081

Or any of these people who practically have to go to the next town to get a train:
Naas 20,044
Celbridge 17,262
Portmarnock 8,979
Rush 8,286
Lusk 5,236

Last edited by Colm Moore : 02-02-2009 at 19:47.
Colm Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2009, 19:50   #38
Jister

ECOEYE featured the WRC recently and made a big fuss about the traffic in Crusheen and featured footage of the village with the traffic going through. It completely ignored that the Crusheen and Gort bypasse has already started construction.

I think Sixmilebridge will have reasonable rail traffic due to its proximity to Shannon airport, town and industrial estate.
Unread 09-03-2009, 13:42   #39
Tadhg17
Regular Poster

Default Temporary closing of roads in connection with Sixmilebridge railway station

http://www.clarecoco.ie/news/Road_Cl...ilebridge.html

Temporary closing of roads in connection with Sixmilebridge railway station
Date issued: 6th March 2009

Notice is hereby given in accordance with Section 75 of the Roads Act 1993 of Clare County Council's intention to close the road detailed hereunder for the period stated due to enable partial demolition of the existing arch bridge and construction of a new bridge deck which will facilitate railway track realignment and the construction of a new platform at the Sixmilebridge railway station.

Road to be closed
The R471 Shannon to Sixmilebridge Regional Road will be closed 100 metres either side of Atterbury railway bridge in Sixmilebridge. Practical considerations and Health & Safety requirements dictate that a full road closure will be required for the work to be undertaken.

Diversionary routes will be signposted and are as follows
Traffic travelling to Sixmilebridge from Shannon is advised to follow the detour route that will be in operation for the duration of the proposed closure. This detour will be signposted along the L-3177 local road, the R-458 regional road and the R-470 regional road.

Traffic travelling to Shannon from Sixmilebridge is advised to follow the detour route that will be in operation for the duration of the proposed closure. This detour will be signposted along the L-3147 local road, the R-470 regional road, the R-458 regional road and the L-3177 local road.

Dates and times of closure
The planned closure will begin on Friday the 27th March 2009 at 11:00 a.m. and end on Monday 30th March 2009 at 16:00 p.m.

Objections
Objections/representations may be made in writing to the

Senior Executive Officer,
Transportation & Infrastructure Department,
Clare County Council,
Áras Contae an Chláir,
New Road,
Ennis,
Co. Clare.

before 5:00 p.m. on Friday 13th March 2009
Unread 09-03-2009, 15:57   #40
dowlingm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jister View Post
I think Sixmilebridge will have reasonable rail traffic due to its proximity to Shannon airport, town and industrial estate.
Sixmilebridge will only have rail traffic due to Shannon if there is a feeder service of proper frequency. It's 8km from SMB to Shannon town, 14km to the Airport. BE has the upper hand here and will continue to.