Rail Users Ireland Forum

Go Back   Rail Users Ireland Forum > Irish Rail Customer Service Issues > Intercity and Regional > Dublin Belfast
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Unread 28-05-2009, 13:39   #1
tigger1962

Default Translink increase on fares for Enterprise

Now this makes little sense to me as I got north of the border for my shopping because of the exchange rates!!

Quote:
Enterprise

* Cross Border rail fares will be increased by an average of 10% to reflect the changes in exchange rates.
should this not read reduce by 10%??
tigger1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28-05-2009, 13:43   #2
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

The sterling prices could be expected to go up as the pound buys a lot less euro than it did a year ago, although I'm unsure as to how much euro costs Translink has relating to the cross-border services.
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28-05-2009, 13:51   #3
ACustomer
Really Regular Poster

Actually Sterling has appreciated a little against the € in the past 5 months. If it were to appreciate further, whould these increases be reversed? Or would Irish Rail increase the €-denominated prices at the southern end to compensate for the fall of the Euro?

You can't win with these guys!
ACustomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28-05-2009, 14:17   #4
Mark Gleeson
Technical Officer

Believe it or not there are people who buy their monthly and annual tickets from NIR or IE depending on the currency state to get the best value

At €20 day return fares have never been so low to Belfast
Mark Gleeson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 28-05-2009, 14:31   #5
Thomas Ralph
IT Officer

In five months, it indeed has gone in favour of sterling, but counting since the last NIR price change last August, the rate has gone from €1 = 78p to €1 = 87p (and was until this week sitting in the 90p region).

In answer to your substantial question, IÉ's fares are authorized by the Department of Transport; I'm not certain who authorizes NIR fares.
Thomas Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 29-05-2009, 13:56   #6
tigger1962

it seems to be the NI assembly equivalent...

it surprised me as i didn't figure it would be more costly against the euro... IE are also still running their cheap fares.. so it makes little sense. Perhaps IE are going to get rid of their promotional fares this weekend? I know from a dundalk perspective the 10 return caused a few people to alter their travel to match the times to get the cheaper fares... the problem is that the bus is cheaper and just as fast as rail is at the moment... except probably from belfast.. that will all change when all the roadworks are finished on the M1/A1 between newry and Belfast... on most days i can make belfast from dundalk in under 55 mins.. quicker than the train!
Unread 29-05-2009, 13:59   #7
tigger1962

and before someone passes a smart comment I was doing the speed limit... well as close as the km/mph equivalent or my silly gps warning system would let me!